RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2 Questions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2 Questions Stephan Menzel 10 May 21:51
  2 Questions Simon Budig 10 May 22:39
  2 Questions Sven Neumann 10 May 22:59
   2 Questions Stephan Menzel 11 May 00:53
    2 Questions Kevin Cozens 11 May 06:15
    2 Questions Sven Neumann 11 May 11:05
   2 Questions Dave Neary 11 May 10:42
    2 Questions Dave Neary 11 May 10:53
     2 Questions Sven Neumann 11 May 11:15
     2 Questions Stephan Menzel 11 May 11:56
      2 Questions Sven Neumann 11 May 12:13
       2 Questions Stephan Menzel 11 May 12:20
        2 Questions Sven Neumann 11 May 14:21
    2 Questions Sven Neumann 11 May 11:03
Stephan Menzel
2004-05-10 21:51:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

G'day,

Since I migrated to Gimp 2.0.1. I noticed are a few little things you have apparently changed but I don't really understand why. Here are but 2:
1. Whenever I click on the 'Insert Text' Button, the foreground color as well as the color for the text itself changes to black. Though it is possible to use another color it is much more complicated than before (1.2.2). Why? I often pick a color out of the picture with this little colorpickertool and then insert text in this color that matches another in the picture. Black is the least I would use. But now this is complicated and rather a pain. Does this change have any purpose I just don't see? Anyway, if it doesn't, can you change that back in the next release?

2. The new 'Crop' tool is not as simple as the old. Formerly there used to be a border that opens and you could drag the corners around until they finally matched what you wanted and then you pressed the crop button. There was a shortcut too. (Ctrl+c?) Now the shortcut seems to be gone and there are no longer dragable corners. You have to use rectangular selection instead which doesn't have this. (Or does it?) And when I choose 'crop' in the menu, there is a new selection just slightly smaller than the picture over almost the entire crop. I can't really see the purpose for that. The cropped image seems to be slightly larger than the area I actually selected too.

I hope you understand those thoughts being constructive criticism or stupidity on my side. It is not meant to be bad or something and I have the greatest respect and thanks for all the developers of gimp.

Stephan

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFAn91Qbv5p9h9J588RAr+RAKCppqAyyK4RwhNrJX0Uguw5bbvZqQCgoqS1 6PKRDul5+C/uw39oB5zN+uA=
=fUom
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Simon Budig
2004-05-10 22:39:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Stephan Menzel (stephan42@chinguarime.net) wrote: [...]
(Nothing to say about your first point)

2. The new 'Crop' tool is not as simple as the old. Formerly there used to be a border that opens and you could drag the corners around until they finally matched what you wanted and then you pressed the crop button. There was a shortcut too. (Ctrl+c?) Now the shortcut seems to be gone and there are no longer dragable corners.

I think the shortcut is Shift-C, and I don't think that changed. You also can assign a different shortcut when enabling "dynamic keyboard shortcuts" in the preferences, hovering your mouse over Tools->Transform Tools->Crop & Resize and press the new shortcut.

Also I don't think that there something has fundamentally changed in the handling of the tool itself. It surely still has the edges (for resizing and moving the rectangle). I don't know what happens for you there.

Maybe try again? And if it really doesn't work describe more clearly what you are doing and what is different from what you expect.

Bye, Simon

Sven Neumann
2004-05-10 22:59:25 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

Stephan Menzel writes:

1. Whenever I click on the 'Insert Text' Button, the foreground color as well as the color for the text itself changes to black. Though it is possible to use another color it is much more complicated than before (1.2.2). Why? I often pick a color out of the picture with this little colorpickertool and then insert text in this color that matches another in the picture. Black is the least I would use. But now this is complicated and rather a pain. Does this change have any purpose I just don't see? Anyway, if it doesn't, can you change that back in the next release?

The foreground color is not supposed to change. If it really does, that would be a bug. However I don't seem to able to reproduce this.

2. The new 'Crop' tool is not as simple as the old. Formerly there used to be a border that opens and you could drag the corners around until they finally matched what you wanted and then you pressed the crop button. There was a shortcut too. (Ctrl+c?) Now the shortcut seems to be gone and there are no longer dragable corners. You have to use rectangular selection instead which doesn't have this. (Or does it?) And when I choose 'crop' in the menu, there is a new selection just slightly smaller than the picture over almost the entire crop. I can't really see the purpose for that. The cropped image seems to be slightly larger than the area I actually selected too.

I am sorry but the crop tool didn't change at all. You should still be able to drag the corners just as in GIMP 1.2. We only added a convenient way to crop the image to the size of the current selection (Image->Crop Image) but that's not really related.

Sven

Stephan Menzel
2004-05-11 00:53:35 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hello,

On Monday 10 May 2004 22:59, Sven Neumann wrote:

The foreground color is not supposed to change. If it really does, that would be a bug. However I don't seem to able to reproduce this.

Well, it does here.
I can reproduce it every time.
0. Load Gimp and load any picture (tried with RGB and Greyscale) 1. press O
2. pick a color from the picture
3. close the little color chooser window 4. press T or click the Text button
- -> The forgroundcolor is black again and so is the text. As I said, I use version 2.0.1, which works fine, besides this. If it really is a bug. It wouldn't be so bad if I could choose a new color from the textcolorwidget but there is only the color dialog which is inconvenient. I prefer 'o'.

I am sorry but the crop tool didn't change at all. You should still be able to drag the corners just as in GIMP 1.2. We only added a convenient way to crop the image to the size of the current selection (Image->Crop Image) but that's not really related.

Ooops. I just didn't see it in the menu where expected and I assumed it is gone or rather it has changed that way. It does indeed work as usual which is great and I apologize. Even the shortcut works and I should have noticed that. However, it might be confusing for some users to have two crop possibilities instead of one distinct way.

Stephan

iD8DBQFAoAfzbv5p9h9J588RArbqAJ9qCu/NBk7lCBZ78JwR4GQQ9BE1fACfUg7I cQAYDQLLFHIXAcMGf5jeqJA=
=GerS

Kevin Cozens
2004-05-11 06:15:45 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 18:53, Stephan Menzel wrote:

Well, it does here.
- -> The forgroundcolor is black again and so is the text.

It is a bug (IMO). I see the same problem with 2.0.1 but not in the 2.1 version. In 2.1 I can click a pick a colour then select the text tool without the foreground colour changing.

Dave Neary
2004-05-11 10:42:39 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Stephan Menzel writes:

This is an issue with the per-tool contexts.

If you select a colour with the colour picker, then select the text tool, the text tool will have a black foreground (its own context). However, it doesn't affect the background. This is confusing, because it means that using the colour picker to pick a text colour involves picking the colour, opening the colour chooser and saving it, setting the text tool, opening the colour chooser for the text tool, and loading the saved colour. Which is complicated.It would be nicer (imho) if the text tool used the active FG if it hadn't been set yet, rather than defaulting to black.

If you look at this from the point of view of someone coming from 1.2, this problem is obvious.

Cheers,
Dave.

Dave Neary
2004-05-11 10:53:05 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

Dave Neary wrote:

It would be nicer (imho) if the
text tool used the active FG if it hadn't been set yet, rather than defaulting to black.

The proper way to do this, I suppose, would be to get rid of the "color" option from the text tool options, and just use the foreground in the same way as the other paint tools use it (keep it in the context, but don't set it by default).

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 11:03:34 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

This is an issue with the per-tool contexts.

This is not an issue, it's a bug and should be reported in Bugzilla.

If you select a colour with the colour picker, then select the text tool, the text tool will have a black foreground (its own context). However, it doesn't affect the background. This is confusing, because it means that using the colour picker to pick a text colour involves picking the colour, opening the colour chooser and saving it, setting the text tool, opening the colour chooser for the text tool, and loading the saved colour. Which is complicated.It would be nicer (imho) if the text tool used the active FG if it hadn't been set yet, rather than defaulting to black.

Sorry, but that's definitely not how it works nor how it's supposed to work.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 11:05:55 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

Stephan Menzel writes:

Well, it does here.
-> The forgroundcolor is black again and so is the text. As I said,

I had a closer look and it does indeed not behave as it should. So this is clearly a bug.

I use version 2.0.1, which works fine, besides this. If it really is a bug. It wouldn't be so bad if I could choose a new color from the textcolorwidget but there is only the color dialog which is inconvenient. I prefer 'o'.

You don't have to use the color dialog that you open from the text tool options. Simply drag a color on the color button to change the text color.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 11:15:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

It would be nicer (imho) if the text tool used the active FG if it hadn't been set yet, rather than defaulting to black.

That's exactly how it is supposed to work.
Dave Neary writes:

The proper way to do this, I suppose, would be to get rid of the "color" option from the text tool options, and just use the foreground in the same way as the other paint tools use it (keep it in the context, but don't set it by default).

Nope, that won't work. The text tool is supposed to use the foreground color unless it is being used on an already existing text layer. In that case it needs to use the color of the text layer and that's why the color button is needed.

All that needs to be done here is to get the bug fixed and resurrect the intended behaviour.

Sven

Stephan Menzel
2004-05-11 11:56:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Good morning,

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 10:53, Dave Neary wrote:

Exactly.
This is how it used to be and this is how it should be. The extra color option in the text options is not needed.

Stephan

iD8DBQFAoKM1bv5p9h9J588RAohFAKD6PMKglAj8kH7XkAU+5eC6iRPZYQCg9HEG qTlXMRx/Du6lrPuHZ9ATUW0=
=5FAv

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 12:13:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

Stephan Menzel writes:

Exactly. This is how it used to be and this is how it should be. The extra color option in the text options is not needed.

As I already explained in a previous mail, Dave is wrong here and the color button is needed. The way it used to be there wasn't the concept of editable text layers. With the introduction of text layers the color button became necessary.

Sven

Stephan Menzel
2004-05-11 12:20:23 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hello Sven,

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 12:13, Sven Neumann wrote:

As I already explained in a previous mail, Dave is wrong here and the color button is needed. The way it used to be there wasn't the concept of editable text layers. With the introduction of text layers the color button became necessary.

I have seen your Mail later, sorry. Does that mean, that this color must default to black as well? There can be an extra color button in that dialog, no worries, but couldn't it default to the picked foreground color when this text layer is created in the first place? Or is that how it is supposed to be?

Stephan -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFAoKjnbv5p9h9J588RAuIIAJ0eYsJf/uOWX+5rtNyXPHAbChf1DQCfd3N0 Uy+JpWEYANgpjcVML1EFX4w=
=nTPO

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 14:21:53 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

2 Questions

Hi,

Stephan Menzel writes:

Does that mean, that this color must default to black as well? There can be an extra color button in that dialog, no worries, but couldn't it default to the picked foreground color when this text layer is created in the first place? Or is that how it is supposed to be?

I thought I explained that already. Unless a text layer is selected, the color button in the text tool options is supposed to stay in sync with the foreground color. That's how it works in the HEAD branch. I am not sure when and why it broke in gimp-2.0.

Sven