RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Screenshots

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Screenshots David Neary 04 May 00:01
  Screenshots Sven Neumann 04 May 02:42
   Screenshots Dave Neary 04 May 10:40
    Screenshots Sven Neumann 04 May 11:34
  Screenshots Branko Collin 04 May 13:01
   Screenshots Dave Neary 04 May 17:21
  Screenshots Sven Neumann 05 May 13:08
   Screenshots Dave Neary 05 May 13:47
    Screenshots Sven Neumann 05 May 13:58
     Screenshots Dave Neary 05 May 14:14
      Screenshots Sven Neumann 05 May 14:19
       Screenshots Henrik Brix Andersen 05 May 16:19
    Screenshots Sven Neumann 05 May 14:13
     Screenshots Dave Neary 05 May 14:45
   Screenshots Branko Collin 05 May 14:58
David Neary
2004-05-04 00:01:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi all,

I was just looking for some nice looking screenshots to show off on the GUADEC GIMP pages, and the best ones are all on developer.gimp.org

It would be really cool to have lots & lots of screenshots of the GIMP on www.gimp.org. Could someone from the web team take responsibility for this and publish an e-mail address where screenshots can be sent to be included on the site, please?

In the meantime, I will link to screenshots on dgo.

The current content to go on guadec (which will also probably end up on dgo when the dust settles) is here (as usual, all corrections & comments are welcome, that's what wikis are for): http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpCon2004

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-04 02:42:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

David Neary writes:

I was just looking for some nice looking screenshots to show off on the GUADEC GIMP pages, and the best ones are all on developer.gimp.org

The problem with the screenshots on dgo is that they are screenshots of the 1.3.x development version. Most of them clearly don't look like 2.0. It shouldn't be too difficult to redo these shots with an uptodate version. I am sure people will happily donate their screenshots.

It would be really cool to have lots & lots of screenshots of the GIMP on www.gimp.org. Could someone from the web team take responsibility for this and publish an e-mail address where screenshots can be sent to be included on the site, please?

I'd like to remove the dgo screenshots sooner or later and replace them with screenshots of the CVS version. But of course I'll leave them online until more screenshots are available from www.gimp.org.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-05-04 10:40:31 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi Sven

Sven Neumann wrote:

David Neary writes:

The problem with the screenshots on dgo is that they are screenshots of the 1.3.x development version. Most of them clearly don't look like 2.0. It shouldn't be too difficult to redo these shots with an uptodate version. I am sure people will happily donate their screenshots.

Not so clearly to me... I avoided using the text tool screenshot, since that changed quite a bit before the 2.0 release, but the macos and SVG screenshots are both close enough to 2.0 to make no difference.

Also the brush preview screenshot is cool, and hasn't changed since.

If people do update the dgo screenshots, where should they send them? brix or yourself?

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-04 11:34:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Not so clearly to me... I avoided using the text tool screenshot, since that changed quite a bit before the 2.0 release, but the macos and SVG screenshots are both close enough to 2.0 to make no difference.

The MacOS X screenshot shows the toolbar with the color correction tools and the newer MacOS X screenshot on wgo is nicer anyway.

Also the brush preview screenshot is cool, and hasn't changed since.

Please feel free to move it to wgo then.

If people do update the dgo screenshots, where should they send them? brix or yourself?

You misunderstood me. There's no intention to update the screenshots on dgo. Instead I suggest that more screenshots are added to http://gimp.org/screenshots/. So the screenshots should probably send to the gimp-web team or attached to bug reports against gimp-web.

Sven

Branko Collin
2004-05-04 13:01:57 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

On 4 May 2004, at 0:01, David Neary wrote:

The current content to go on guadec (which will also probably end up on dgo when the dust settles) is here (as usual, all corrections & comments are welcome, that's what wikis are for): http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpCon2004

I like the DGO screenshots better, too, because they adhere to my Grand Theory of Screenshots more closely: they show GIMP in actual use. (Other laws in my GToS are: screenshots should be rendered against a neutral background, with standard widgets, small enough of for use on small devices, with only those dialogs being shown that are relevant to the function being shown, and of the current version of the program being showcased.)

If you want them, I could make a couple of screenshots.

Dave Neary
2004-05-04 17:21:34 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi Branko,

Branko Collin wrote:

On 4 May 2004, at 0:01, David Neary wrote:

If you want them, I could make a couple of screenshots.

Of course we want them. Still waiting for someone to take ownership of the screenshots and say they'll put them up... failing that, Sven's suggesting to attach them to bug reports sounds sane.

It'd be nice to have a personal tough though, someone to write back and say "thank you" to people who contribute like this. There is generally an email address where fans can send screenshots in projects like ours.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-05 13:08:49 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

has there been any progress with respect to screenshots? Now that GIMP HEAD starts to actually look differently and gets new features, I'd really like to replace the screenshots on developer.gimp.org with new ones to get people interested in the current development. So please, grab whatever screenshots you like from developer.gimp.org and put them up at www.gimp.org. I will move them all to the Attic very soon now.

Sven

PS: Here are some screenshots of the HEAD branch:

http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-new-image-dialog.png http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-stroke-dialog.png http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-canvas-size-dialog.png

Remember that this is not the final dialog layout, we are just playing with new stuff...

Dave Neary
2004-05-05 13:47:51 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:
> PS: Here are some screenshots of the HEAD branch: >
> http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-new-image-dialog.png > http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-stroke-dialog.png > http://sven.gimp.org/gimp-canvas-size-dialog.png >
> Remember that this is not the final dialog layout, we are just > playing with new stuff...

These look great! mitch and yourself have been doing great stuff :)

has there been any progress with respect to screenshots?

Thus far, no-one on the web team has said anything about the matter. It would be nice if someone would say "sure, send screenshots to me". I don't feel comfortable changing anything in the gimp-web module any more.

For what it's worth, I do not have any problem with nice, but out of date, screenshots being on www.gimp.org - for example, we had a lot of screenshots from the 1.1 series on www.gimp.org before the migration. In fact, devel screenshots are a great way to get people building the HEAD.

I don't know when it became policy to only have screenshot from stable versions on wgo - but I'm against that policy.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-05 13:58:35 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

For what it's worth, I do not have any problem with nice, but out of date, screenshots being on www.gimp.org - for example, we had a lot of screenshots from the 1.1 series on www.gimp.org before the migration. In fact, devel screenshots are a great way to get people building the HEAD.

I don't know when it became policy to only have screenshot from stable versions on wgo - but I'm against that policy.

We discussed this before doing switching to the new web-site. IMO it is essential that tutorials and screenshots on www.gimp.org consistently show the current stable version since that's what the site is all about.

The screenshot section on developer.gimp.org exists exactly for the purpose of getting people to build the HEAD branch. IMHO the screenshot section on www.gimp.org should have a link to the development screenshots but it should show the stable version only.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-05-05 14:13:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Thus far, no-one on the web team has said anything about the matter. It would be nice if someone would say "sure, send screenshots to me". I don't feel comfortable changing anything in the gimp-web module any more.

Well, I am afraid that it won't work that way. If you or me feel that the screenshots on www.gimp.org need work, then it's up to you or me to do something about it. It doesn't make sense to point the finger at the gimp-web team and wait for something to happen. Or worse, repeatedly asking for things to be done. If the web-site concerns you, then you should be willing to touch it. If you aren't willing to do any changes to gimp-web CVS module, then you should IMO refrain from asking for changes. Doing so only shows disrespect for the people working on the site.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-05-05 14:14:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

We discussed this before doing switching to the new web-site. IMO it is essential that tutorials and screenshots on www.gimp.org consistently show the current stable version since that's what the site is all about.

I disagree. I think that www.gimp.org is a site for GIMP users, and that includes bleeding edge users. developer.gimp.org is a site for GIMP developers, at least that was my understanding of the motivation behind it.

The screenshot section on developer.gimp.org exists exactly for the purpose of getting people to build the HEAD branch. IMHO the screenshot section on www.gimp.org should have a link to the development screenshots but it should show the stable version only.

If I'm correct above, what you are saying is that the HEAD branch is only for developers, which I disagree with. If this isn't what you're saying then I misunderstood the reason for the creation of dgo.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-05 14:19:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

I disagree. I think that www.gimp.org is a site for GIMP users, and that includes bleeding edge users. developer.gimp.org is a site for GIMP developers, at least that was my understanding of the motivation behind it.

Well, that was not at all the motivation behind it. developer.gimp.org is meant to be a site that gives insight into GIMP development. It's supposed to have roadmaps, feature lists and screenshots from the development version. That's information that is certainly interesting to GIMP users.

If there's disagreement about this information being kept on a separate site, then we should probably merge the two. I don't want developer.gimp.org to be a site for developers only. The idea was to have a site that people check to get an update on the state and direction of GIMP development. Of course the idea is to turn more people into GIMP developers but for that to work, the site needs to be interesting for non-developers also.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-05-05 14:45:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Dave Neary writes:

Well, I am afraid that it won't work that way. If you or me feel that the screenshots on www.gimp.org need work, then it's up to you or me to do something about it.

It was made very clear to me that my help wasn't wanted with the website. In those conditions, I'm not going to put myself out. There are plenty of things for me to do besides.

That's not going to stop me making comments on where I think things could be improved though. We don't turn away bug reports without patches - opening a bug report is helping already. Likewise, if the screenshots section of the site needs work, I'm not going to think to myself "better not say that the screenshots section of the site needs work because I'm not welcome on the web team".

If the web-site concerns you,
then you should be willing to touch it. If you aren't willing to do any changes to gimp-web CVS module, then you should IMO refrain from asking for changes. Doing so only shows disrespect for the people working on the site.

Does asking for changes to be made to the GIMP show disrespect for mitch or yourself or any of the other people working on the GIMP? I really don't follow this point.

I'll repeat it - I'm happy to help out occasionally on the website. I have lots of other things to do, though, so if I'm not welcome, I'm not going to do anything. In any case, I don't think that I would be able to provide very good screenshots. However, I'm sure there are lots of power users out there who would love to, and currently they don't have anyone to send screenies to.

Cheers, Dave.

Branko Collin
2004-05-05 14:58:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

On 5 May 2004, at 13:08, Sven Neumann wrote:

has there been any progress with respect to screenshots? Now that GIMP HEAD starts to actually look differently and gets new features, I'd really like to replace the screenshots on developer.gimp.org with new ones to get people interested in the current development. So please, grab whatever screenshots you like from developer.gimp.org and put them up at www.gimp.org. I will move them all to the Attic very soon now.

I have had to work on a rush job till four in the morning, so I haven't been able to make new screenshots yet. Will get to it ASAP.

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-05-05 16:19:15 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Screenshots

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 14:19, Sven Neumann wrote:

Dave Neary writes:

Well, that was not at all the motivation behind it. developer.gimp.org is meant to be a site that gives insight into GIMP development. It's supposed to have roadmaps, feature lists and screenshots from the development version. That's information that is certainly interesting to GIMP users.

I fully agree with this. I'd like to be able to invest more time in getting dgo in better shape than I already have but being in the middle of my exams I really have a hard time finding enough time to even read these mailing lists.

Anyways, the developer.gimp.org site is in GNOME CVS in gimp-web-devel module and as with the GIMP itself patches are most welcome.

If there's disagreement about this information being kept on a separate site, then we should probably merge the two. I don't want developer.gimp.org to be a site for developers only. The idea was to have a site that people check to get an update on the state and direction of GIMP development. Of course the idea is to turn more people into GIMP developers but for that to work, the site needs to be interesting for non-developers also.

I've started a Developer FAQ and made the framework for adding articles about GIMPCon, plug-in development etc. Simon has been very kind to give his permission to include his paper on Script-Fu and plug-ins for The GIMP on the site - but I haven't had the time to convert it yet.

Merging the two sites, wgo and dgo, would only clutter up the menu and thus make the site very hard to navigate for new comers. I think that wgo should continue to contain stuff for users such as tutorials, downloads, HOWTOs etc. Let's keep all the interesting^Hdevelopers stuff on dgo.

Regards,
Brix