RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp Menu Reorganization

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp Menu Reorganization Nathan Carl Summers 30 Apr 23:43
  Gimp Menu Reorganization Sven Neumann 01 May 21:52
   Gimp Menu Reorganization David Neary 02 May 19:54
    Gimp Menu Reorganization Nathan Carl Summers 04 May 00:08
     Gimp Menu Reorganization David Neary 04 May 00:19
  Gimp Menu Reorganization Branko Collin 04 May 15:36
   Gimp Menu Reorganization Ellen Reitmayr 05 May 12:27
    Gimp Menu Reorganization Sven Neumann 05 May 13:47
     Gimp Menu Reorganization Stephan Menzel 05 May 14:10
      Gimp Menu Reorganization Ellen Reitmayr 05 May 14:58
      Gimp Menu Reorganization Branko Collin 05 May 15:07
    Gimp Menu Reorganization Nathan Carl Summers 06 May 01:54
Nathan Carl Summers
2004-04-30 23:43:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Hmm, the last message I sent seemed not to get through, so here it is another time.

Noting that several people have expressed desires to improve GIMP's menu structure, I have started a Wiki page which we can use as a whiteboard for rearraigning the menu items. I have even started to group the menu items, although it still needs a lot of work.

You don't need a special account or anything -- just visit http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpMenuReorganization and hit "EditText" to edit the page. You can move things around, rename items, or just add commentary! Here is your chance to help make gimp more usable.

Rockwalrus

PS -- Carol, please forward this to gimp-user. I don't subscribe there, but this is a good way for the users to contribute to making GIMP better, since you don't even need to know how to program to make a real difference.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-01 21:52:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers writes:

Noting that several people have expressed desires to improve GIMP's menu structure, I have started a Wiki page which we can use as a whiteboard for rearraigning the menu items. I have even started to group the menu items, although it still needs a lot of work.

You don't need a special account or anything -- just visit http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpMenuReorganization and hit "EditText" to edit the page. You can move things around, rename items, or just add commentary! Here is your chance to help make gimp more usable.

Very nice. I wonder if there's a way to convert between the menu XML files and the Wiki content. That would make it possible to easily try the suggested menu layout.

Sven

David Neary
2004-05-02 19:54:10 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Very nice. I wonder if there's a way to convert between the menu XML files and the Wiki content. That would make it possible to easily try the suggested menu layout.

The forward direction (menu XML to wiki text) should be trivial with xslt - the other way would probably be easier with perl or something.

I don't have time to do this right now, though - if it's still up for grabs in a couple of weeks, I'll have a go.

Cheers, Dave.

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-05-04 00:08:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

On Sun, 2 May 2004, David Neary wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpMenuReorganization

The forward direction (menu XML to wiki text) should be trivial with xslt - the other way would probably be easier with perl or something.

That's funny, I think of wiki -> menu as being the forward direction. :) Turning wiki into XML looks like it should be trivial with Perl.

Rockwalrus

David Neary
2004-05-04 00:19:35 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

That's funny, I think of wiki -> menu as being the forward direction. :)

Weird. Perhaps you're sufferring an LSD flashback?

Turning wiki into XML looks like it should be trivial with Perl.

I think there may even be a whatchummacall that does it already.

Cheers, Dave.

Branko Collin
2004-05-04 15:36:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

On 30 Apr 2004, at 14:43, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

Hmm, the last message I sent seemed not to get through, so here it is another time.

The usability tests that are plans may provide additional data.

Ellen Reitmayr
2004-05-05 12:27:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still there to attend to some usability issues!

Roman and I did some usability testing, and we wrote an article for the German Linux User based on the findings. In the meantime, we were both quite occupied with working for our offices, but now we started translating the results into English and to form some suggestions. We'll soon post them on the list!

This week, I'll do three or four more tests, and I'll also show them the Wiki page to make them think about a good menu structure. It's really a great idea to provide a Wiki page for that concern!! I'm also planning to do some card sorting to learn more about the user's cognitive representation of the menu items and use the page as a basis for that.

Greetings, /ellen

Am Di, 2004-05-04 um 15.36 schrieb Branko Collin:

On 30 Apr 2004, at 14:43, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

The usability tests that are plans may provide additional data.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-05 13:47:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Hi Ellen,

Ellen Reitmayr writes:

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still there to attend to some usability issues!

Roman and I did some usability testing, and we wrote an article for the German Linux User based on the findings. In the meantime, we were both quite occupied with working for our offices, but now we started translating the results into English and to form some suggestions. We'll soon post them on the list!

I'm looking forward to see the results. Now is a really good time for discussing usability issues. We are willing to do quite some changes to the user interface for GIMP 2.2.

This week, I'll do three or four more tests, and I'll also show them the Wiki page to make them think about a good menu structure. It's really a great idea to provide a Wiki page for that concern!! I'm also planning to do some card sorting to learn more about the user's cognitive representation of the menu items and use the page as a basis for that.

Yes, the Wiki is probably a good place to develop some proposals. But it's also important to bring the results back to the mailing list from time to time. And perhaps also bring up problems that show up while working on the Wiki.

It would be great to have at least the Wiki -> XML conversion available so that the proposed menu layout can be played with. IIRC, Bolsh said he wanted to give it a try but he he also said that he won't get around to it during the next weeks. Perhaps someone else wants to give this a try earlier? It would really be nice to have.

We will be doing a 2.1.0 release in a couple of days to make it easier for people to play with the new stuff.

Sven

Stephan Menzel
2004-05-05 14:10:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 13:47, Sven Neumann wrote:

I'm looking forward to see the results. Now is a really good time for discussing usability issues. We are willing to do quite some changes to the user interface for GIMP 2.2.

Just a question about that:
Where are those usability issues discussed? The Wiki? Here?

Stephan

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFAmNm2bv5p9h9J588RAsOcAKCIdgm39s0rFrDXBDvdCyqgb3s3GwCgiK65 +6clvI+5FyzlhlIjC7D6fvE=
=yZaU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Ellen Reitmayr
2004-05-05 14:58:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

Am Mi, 2004-05-05 um 14.10 schrieb Stephan Menzel:

the results are not yet discussed at all, because Roman and I are still translating them. Then, we will post them on the list.

Also, Roman has set up a Wiki page - There's not yet anything to see, but we will tell you the url as soon as the results are published there (hopefully in a week or so.. 8-) )

/ellen

________

Branko Collin
2004-05-05 15:07:15 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

On 5 May 2004, at 14:10, Stephan Menzel wrote:

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 13:47, Sven Neumann wrote:

Here. But first we need to know about them. Patience, grasshopper. :-)

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-05-06 01:54:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Gimp Menu Reorganization

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:

Hi all,

I look forward to reading that.

Great! That would be very helpful!

Rockwalrus