RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The issue of JPEG Patents?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The issue of JPEG Patents? Alan Horkan 23 Apr 23:39
  The issue of JPEG Patents? Joao S. O. Bueno 24 Apr 04:29
   The issue of JPEG Patents? Daniel Rogers 24 Apr 07:47
    The issue of JPEG Patents? Alan Horkan 24 Apr 15:50
     The issue of JPEG Patents? Sven Neumann 25 Apr 00:58
      The issue of JPEG Patents? Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Apr 04:51
       The issue of JPEG Patents? Sven Neumann 25 Apr 12:00
Alan Horkan
2004-04-23 23:39:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/23/forgent_jpeg_suit/

Has the issue of Jpeg Patents been brought up yet? (a quick but not thorough search suggests not)

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-04-24 04:29:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Friday 23 April 2004 18:39, Alan Horkan wrote:

Has the issue of Jpeg Patents been brought up yet? (a quick but not thorough search suggests not)

hmmm...What about waiting until october, and THEM start the Gimp Foundation? You can't sue what does not exist....

Honestly...I got scared for the GIMP when I read about the "thou shalt not open scanned-up money images" blurbs ... when I read about this JPEG patents, I did not even thought about the GIMP, because it's just too stupid. But..who knows where human greed can take us?

JS ->

Daniel Rogers
2004-04-24 07:47:49 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

hmmm...What about waiting until october, and THEM start the Gimp Foundation? You can't sue what does not exist....

Honestly...I got scared for the GIMP when I read about the "thou shalt not open scanned-up money images" blurbs ... when I read about this JPEG patents, I did not even thought about the GIMP, because it's just too stupid. But..who knows where human greed can take us?

Well you could still sue the plugin maintainer. but that is no point. It is greed drivin, thus there is a second, implict rule, thou shall not sue that which has no money.

-- Dan

Alan Horkan
2004-04-24 15:50:10 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Daniel Rogers wrote:

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:47:49 -0700 From: Daniel Rogers
To: Joao S. O. Bueno
Cc: Alan Horkan , gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] The issue of JPEG Patents?

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Well you could still sue the plugin maintainer. but that is no point. It is greed drivin, thus there is a second, implict rule, thou shall not sue that which has no money.

I was thinking that Jpeg support might have to be preemptively removed like Gif support was removed. (Although the Gif patents have expired in America and will expire in Europe in June)

On reading more, some comments suggest that this issue might not be specific enough to effect the Gimp but then I always believed Gif could have been included in the Gimp if parts of the Gif compression had been disabled but these issues are always more complicated than they seem.
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=105099&cid=8948562

- Alan

Sven Neumann
2004-04-25 00:58:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I was thinking that Jpeg support might have to be preemptively removed like Gif support was removed. (Although the Gif patents have expired in America and will expire in Europe in June)

When was GIF support removed and why didn't I notice?

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-04-25 04:51:30 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Saturday 24 April 2004 19:58, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

When was GIF support removed and why didn't I notice?

Some Linux distributions, as well as popular windows binary packages come out without the GIF plug-in. It is usually downloadable as a separate plug-in with a note for the patent issues.

This can be a major PITA sometimes (you need to do GIF, and just find out the live Linux CD with GIMP on it is lacking the gif plug-in for example)

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-04-25 12:00:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

Some Linux distributions, as well as popular windows binary packages come out without the GIF plug-in. It is usually downloadable as a separate plug-in with a note for the patent issues.

This can be a major PITA sometimes (you need to do GIF, and just find out the live Linux CD with GIMP on it is lacking the gif plug-in for example)

Sure, but we can't do anything about that. We even added the possibility to compile the GIF plug-in w/o support for LZW compression. This allows packagers to include a GIF plug-in that doesn't have any potential patent problems.

We will also not remove the JPEG plug-in from the GIMP tarball. If packagers decide to not include it in their binary packages for whatever reason, that's the problem of the packagers (and their customers) then.

Sven