RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A very brief study about The GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A very brief study about The GIMP Mr YouP 23 Apr 21:06
Mr YouP
2004-04-23 21:06:30 UTC (about 20 years ago)

A very brief study about The GIMP

Hi,

First, I apologize in advance for my poor english, I'm french and not so gifted for language.

Second, I have to present myself and why I'm writing to this list although I'm not (and will not be) a GIMP programmer. I'm part of a "free software user group" (free in the mean of french word "libre", of course). We try to devellop free software and take part of several manifestations (local, national or international). In order to introduce free software to person who doesn't know what free software is (and to non computer familiar people), I write what I called the "fiches libres" (we can traduce that by "free tips", but you still have to remain that it is freedom and not free of charges). Each tip is a brief resume of one (and only one) aspect of free software (fundamental freedoms, open stantards, GNU/Linux, etc.). You can get it at or website : http://www.aldil.org/projets/fiches_libres/ (french only) And so what about The GIMP ? I'm coming :). For the 9th tip, I wanted to write about a brillant, symbolic and successful project. As a presentation of what is exactly a free software project.
... And after some (not so hard) discutions we decided for The GIMP.

Third, of course I have some questions :)

I could find some history piece about the GIMP development on the gimp.org website. I can find everything I want about what it is possible to do with The GIMP under the web (but that is not the subject of the tip). But I have a very little information about _how_ The GIMP has been and is developped. How many contributors ? from where ? What is the role of the Berkeley University ? Does Peter Mattis (and others) codes it on his free time or as employed ? Does The GIMP have sponsors (finantial or in other form) ?

I supposed that if you read this mail, it's because you have done something for The GIMP. If you have some time to waste, I'm interrested by everyone story (even if you have only write a very little patch).

And for the sysadmin, is it possible to have some numbers, such as the CVS log, the website statistic, the mailman log ? even I won't published those datas, it's always very interresting to extract some numbers on a quite long periode such as the gimp developpment one. (if it isn't possible, I'll interstand that)

Many thanks for those who read all my awfully spelled and long message, and for those who will answer :)

Mr YouP.