RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp for image processing on scanned sheet music

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp for image processing on scanned sheet music senthil kumar 12 Apr 03:41
  gimp for image processing on scanned sheet music Michael Schumacher 12 Apr 12:02
  gimp for image processing on scanned sheet music Sven Neumann 12 Apr 12:43
senthil kumar
2004-04-12 03:41:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi everybody,
If I were to use gimp for image recognition on scanned music notation which part of the gimp code should I read? and what books should I read about image recognition? I am newbie to gimp source code hacking and image recogonition. I know c and I believe I can understand the image formats. Can anyone advise me on this, regarding the efforts and overhead in doing it. I expect answers from image recognition/processing gurus who wrote gimp. Is there anyother better place to ask this question if this is a wrong forum? please! excuse me for my ignorance in this subject, if the question is too dumb.

with regards senthil kumar

Michael Schumacher
2004-04-12 12:02:23 UTC (about 20 years ago)

senthil kumar wrote:

Hi everybody, If I were to use gimp for image recognition on scanned music notation which part of the gimp code should I read? and what books should I read about image recognition? I am newbie to gimp source code hacking and image recogonition. I know c and I believe I can understand the image formats. Can anyone advise me on this, regarding the efforts and overhead in doing it. I expect answers from image recognition/processing gurus who wrote gimp. Is there anyother better place to ask this question if this is a wrong forum? please! excuse me for my ignorance in this subject, if the question is too dumb.

You should probably first look at existing Open Source OCR software and then learn how to create plug-ins for GIMP that use this software, if possible. See http://developer.gimp.org for the later.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2004-04-12 12:43:25 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

senthil kumar writes:

If I were to use gimp for image recognition on scanned music notation which part of the gimp code should I read?

I don't think there's any GIMP code that needs to be read or that would be particulary helpful here. Such functionality would be implemented as a plug-in. The GIMP plug-in API will give you access to the pixel data; you are on your own then.

Sven