RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adjustment-layers in GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Baard Ove Kopperud 02 Apr 01:03
  Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Carol Spears 02 Apr 01:34
  Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Tom Cole 02 Apr 11:21
Adjustment-layers in GIMP? William Skaggs 02 Apr 02:23
opr5s0fm2mnjblsp@mail.epost.no 07 Oct 20:22
  Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Carol Spears 02 Apr 03:48
   Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Dave Neary 02 Apr 11:36
    Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Carol Spears 02 Apr 17:23
     Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Dave Neary 02 Apr 18:49
      Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Carol Spears 02 Apr 21:40
Baard Ove Kopperud
2004-04-02 01:03:43 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I must shamefully admit that I have yet to try GIMP 2.0, so if adjustments-layers is part of it, then I appolegize for post.

+++

I've been using both PhotoShop and GIMP for some time, and one of the few things from PS I really *miss* in GIMP is the ability to make adjustment-layers -- i.e. layers that contains *only* adjustments (curves, levels, hue-sat., color balance) and not any picture... however, when you look at underlaying layers through it, they are as if you'd applied those adjustments to them. Adjustment-layers makes it very easy to test out the result of multiple adjustments, as you can make several adjustment-layers and turn one or more of the visible -- thus applying that/those adjustments to the picture.

I was therefor wondering if GIMP has such fuctionality -- either buildt-in or through plug-ins (and it's just me who haven't found it), if it's just been introduced (with 2.0), if it's something that's being worked on, or if it for some reason can't or won't be added... ever.

-Koppe

Carol Spears
2004-04-02 01:34:18 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:03:43AM +0200, Baard Ove Kopperud wrote:

I must shamefully admit that I have yet to try GIMP 2.0, so if adjustments-layers is part of it, then I appolegize for post.

+++

I've been using both PhotoShop and GIMP for some time, and one of the few things from PS I really *miss* in GIMP is the ability to make adjustment-layers -- i.e. layers that contains *only* adjustments (curves, levels, hue-sat., color balance) and not any picture... however, when you look at underlaying layers through it, they are as if you'd applied those adjustments to them. Adjustment-layers makes it very easy to test out the result of multiple adjustments, as you can make several adjustment-layers and turn one or more of the visible -- thus applying that/those adjustments to the picture.

adjusted to what? is there an api for this?

carol

William Skaggs
2004-04-02 02:23:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

This falls into the category of "frequently asked questions". They are often called "effect layers"; the answer is that GIMP 2.0 does not have them, but they are highly desired; it is expected that they will be much easier to implement once GIMP is ported to the new GEGL architecture.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Carol Spears
2004-04-02 03:48:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 02:46:24AM +0200, Baard Ove Kopperud wrote:

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:34:18 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

adjusted to what? is there an api for this?

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I'll try to explain how it works (from the users pov) in PS...

okay, i am at a disadvantage here as i am not a photoshop user nor a gimp developer -- however, i will try to describe what the developers need before they will help you.

API is the new thing but there used to be such a thing as RF* as well. these ideas are a set of rules that code should follow. a plan or a "same path thing". since they do not copy photoshop, a list of the "rules" involving this adjustment layer would need to be published somewhere for everyone to review -- pick apart -- optimize, search for redundancies and agree on definitions and naming.

somewhere in all the API goings on, RTFM is usually happening also. perhaps you could paste a url with the technical aspects of what you are asking for.

carol

Tom Cole
2004-04-02 11:21:11 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Good point.

I was also wondering if and when we might get 'embedded layers' as well.

Tom

On Friday 02 Apr 2004 12:03 am, Baard Ove Kopperud wrote:

+++

I was therefor wondering if GIMP has such fuctionality -- either buildt-in or through plug-ins (and it's just me who haven't found it), if it's just been introduced (with 2.0), if it's something that's being worked on, or if it for some reason can't or won't be added... ever.

-Koppe

Dave Neary
2004-04-02 11:36:19 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I'll try to explain how it works (from the users pov) in PS...

okay, i am at a disadvantage here as i am not a photoshop user nor a gimp developer -- however, i will try to describe what the developers need before they will help you.

You are hardly an authority on this. This feature has long been on the TODO list of the GIMP, but it has not yet been done.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-04-02 17:23:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:36:19AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

You are hardly an authority on this. This feature has long been on the TODO list of the GIMP, but it has not yet been done.

not an authority about what -- that i am not a photoshop user or that i am not a gimp developer?

carol

Dave Neary
2004-04-02 18:49:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

>

not an authority about what -- that i am not a photoshop user or that i am not a gimp developer?

Not an authority on what the GIMP developers need before they will or will not help someone.

Cheers,
Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-04-02 21:40:16 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 06:49:29PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

Not an authority on what the GIMP developers need before they will or will not help someone.

i might have the acronyms wrong, but this was their problem with adobes tiff. they were trying to make something that was completely adobes invention, that they had better ideas about and that adobe changed without explaining as well.

mr neary, i guess we are equally good at passing on misinformation about what the developers want and need.

carol