RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

interface nomenclature

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

interface nomenclature William Skaggs 01 Apr 19:36
  interface nomenclature Sven Neumann 01 Apr 20:59
   interface nomenclature Nathan Carl Summers 01 Apr 21:36
interface nomenclature William Skaggs 01 Apr 22:48
  interface nomenclature Sven Neumann 02 Apr 12:10
William Skaggs
2004-04-01 19:36:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

interface nomenclature

Hi. I'm starting a writeup of the basic structure of the Gimp 2 interface, for the user manual / help system. I have made a list below of the names I propose to use for the various parts. If any of them are erroneous or ill-chosen, please let me know.

Thanks, -- Bill

Toolbox Dialog:
Menu
Toolbox
Current Choices (ugh -- foreground, background, brush, etc) Docking Area
Tool Options Dialog
Tool Options Buttonbar
Docking Area

Layers Dialog:
Image menu
Docking Area
Tab Selector
Layers Tab
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Combination Mode Menu
Opacity Scale
Layer List
Visibility Indicator
Movement Grouping Indicator
Thumbnail
Layer Name
Buttonbar
Channels Tab
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Visibility Indicator
Thumbnail
Channel Name
Buttonbar
Paths Tab
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Path List
Visibility Indicator
Thumbnail
Path Name
Buttonbar
Docking Area

Miscellaneous Dialog:
Docking Area
Tab Selector
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Dialog Contents
Dialog Buttonbar
Docking Area

Image Window:
Image Menu
Rulers
Scrollbars
Image Display
Quick Mask Toggle
Image Panner
Status Bar
Pointer Coordinates
Status Area
Cancel Button

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2004-04-01 20:59:14 UTC (about 20 years ago)

interface nomenclature

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

Hi. I'm starting a writeup of the basic structure of the Gimp 2 interface, for the user manual / help system. I have made a list below of the names I propose to use for the various parts. If any of them are erroneous or ill-chosen, please let me know.

Layers Dialog:
Image menu
Docking Area
Tab Selector
Layers Tab
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Combination Mode Menu
Opacity Scale
Layer List
Visibility Indicator
Thumbnail
Layer Name
Buttonbar
Channels Tab
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Visibility Indicator
Thumbnail
Channel Name
Buttonbar
Paths Tab
Drag Handle / Tab Menu
Path List
Visibility Indicator
Thumbnail
Path Name
Buttonbar
Docking Area

I am not sure if it makes sense to speak of a Layers dialog here. This is just a dock that happens to contain the Layers tab (which should probably be called Layers dialog). What you describe here is the default setup but you cannot assume that the user does not customize this setup.

"Movement Grouping Indicator" seems rather odd. Internally we speak about "linked items"; I'm not sure if this is used somewhere in the user interface also. This linked state does not only affect movement, it also applies to transformations.

Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-04-01 21:36:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

interface nomenclature

On 1 Apr 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

This linked state does not only affect movement, it also applies to transformations.

Interesting. I did not know that. You learn something every day.

Rockwalrus

William Skaggs
2004-04-01 22:48:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

interface nomenclature

Sven Neumann wrote:

I am not sure if it makes sense to speak of a Layers dialog here. This is just a dock that happens to contain the Layers tab (which should probably be called Layers dialog). What you describe here is the default setup but you cannot assume that the user does not customize this setup.

Hmm. With Dialogs->Create New Dock you are given a choice of three types of docks. The Layers etc dock is special because it contains the Layers menu at the top -- there is no way to put this menu in any other dock. Also the Layers dialog is something no user can live without. Thus, this particular kind of flexibility is just an option to make things awkward, so it seems reasonable to treat the Layers dialog, as created by "Dialogs->Create New Dock->Layers, Channels & Paths" as part of the standard interface, at least for purposes of describing it to new users.

"Movement Grouping Indicator" seems rather odd. Internally we speak about "linked items"; I'm not sure if this is used somewhere in the user interface also. This linked state does not only affect movement, it also applies to transformations.

So how about "Linkage Indicator", then?

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2004-04-02 12:10:46 UTC (about 20 years ago)

interface nomenclature

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

Hmm. With Dialogs->Create New Dock you are given a choice of three types of docks.

That is a misunderstanding. All the Dialogs in this menu are embedded in dock windows. The three docks that come up with multiple dockables are just convenience constructors. I am not sure if it makes sense to treat them as something else than that.

The Layers etc dock is special because it contains the Layers menu at the top -- there is no way to put this menu in any other dock.

I assume that you are speaking of the Image menu here. You can put an image menu in all dock windows except the toolbox. Just click on the Menu icon next to the Close icon. There you can activate the entry that says "Show Image menu".

Sven