RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp2 on a 486

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp2 on a 486 Carol Spears 20 Mar 15:38
  gimp2 on a 486 Sven Neumann 20 Mar 16:05
  gimp2 on a 486 Thomas Lübking 20 Mar 16:26
   Re  : gimp2 on a 486 Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 20 Mar 17:00
    gimp2 on a 486 Thomas Lübking 20 Mar 19:46
   gimp2 on a 486 Carol Spears 20 Mar 18:19
    gimp2 on a 486 Alan Horkan 21 Mar 02:10
     gimp2 on a 486 Carol Spears 21 Mar 03:13
Carol Spears
2004-03-20 15:38:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

hi,

i have been using linux and trying to donate time and resources to TheGIMP for several several years now.

it has occured to me that since TheGIMP developers have been so nice about making the gimp work on all the different operating systems that there is a chance that people with very few resources and small old computers have been left behind.

is it possible to strip all this crap (made for people who for some reason started to run different operating systems) out of TheGIMP so that it can be built and run on a tiny old computer like REAL PEOPLE might still use and leave all the extra stuff out as it was put there for people who have CHOSEN to use crappy expensive operating systems?

thanks, carol

Sven Neumann
2004-03-20 16:05:55 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

it has occured to me that since TheGIMP developers have been so nice about making the gimp work on all the different operating systems that there is a chance that people with very few resources and small old computers have been left behind.

is it possible to strip all this crap (made for people who for some reason started to run different operating systems) out of TheGIMP so that it can be built and run on a tiny old computer like REAL PEOPLE might still use and leave all the extra stuff out as it was put there for people who have CHOSEN to use crappy expensive operating systems?

Rest assured that there's no crap in The GIMP that has been added to support other platforms than Linux. There is actually close to no platform-specific code in the GIMP source. And the few tiny bits of specific code are of course only included in the build if you actually build GIMP for the platform the code was written for.

You can of course argue that gimp2 is more resource-hungry than gimp-1.2. But I would like to see some numbers on this before I believe it. I don't think that you need substantially more RAM and CPU power to run gimp2 compared to gimp-1.2. Also there's plenty of things you can do to reduce usage of these resources. You can for example disable layer and channel previews. You can reduce the number of data files like brushes, patterns and fonts in your search paths. You can choose to remove script-fu and other extensions.

So, please, either do some research and back up your arguments, or stop posting such bullshit.

Sven

Thomas Lübking
2004-03-20 16:26:33 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

On Saturday 20 March 2004 15:38, Carol Spears wrote:

first: i hope this is not a troll trial (that would have trapped me) second: i'm using linux as well - so you don't me when talking about users of other (so called) OSs
third: what in the gimp 2.0 (pre) do you think is "crap" fourth: it seems to happen, that actual software tries to make use of actual hardware to enhance features and usability fith: if a 486 cannot run gtk2 (not sure about that) you just cannot use it sixth: afaik gimp has a noninteraktive mode (that should work on your 486) seventh: gimp is open source, well documented and has (as i could just figure out) a helpfull developer community: if you cannot use the current ui you could start to write gtk1 interface
eighth: why are you that aggressive? (and - regarding your last post - insulting)

finally: i just joined this list - so please excuse me if i was trapped by a known troll

Thomas

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-20 17:00:31 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re  : gimp2 on a 486

Le 20.03.2004 16:26, Thomas Lübking a écrit :

finally: i just joined this list - so please excuse me if i was trapped
by a
known troll

Thomas
--

Trapped ;-)

--
- Jean-Luc

Carol Spears
2004-03-20 18:19:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

hi, not a troll -- a girl who has been involved for a while, On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 04:26:33PM +0100, Thomas L?bking wrote:

first: i hope this is not a troll trial (that would have trapped me) second: i'm using linux as well - so you don't me when talking about users of other (so called) OSs
third: what in the gimp 2.0 (pre) do you think is "crap" fourth: it seems to happen, that actual software tries to make use of actual hardware to enhance features and usability fith: if a 486 cannot run gtk2 (not sure about that) you just cannot use it sixth: afaik gimp has a noninteraktive mode (that should work on your 486) seventh: gimp is open source, well documented and has (as i could just figure out) a helpfull developer community: if you cannot use the current ui you could start to write gtk1 interface
eighth: why are you that aggressive? (and - regarding your last post - insulting)

finally: i just joined this list - so please excuse me if i was trapped by a known troll

when i first started to use the gimp, i was using a 486 with a 70M hard drive. my dad donated his 486 that had basically twice the ram and also a 133M hard drive. i made quite a bit of art and helped my photographer friend with these two powerful enough computers.

lately i use this friends computer -- a 450 something or other. when i started to learn a little about hardware and such; it started to occur to me that TheGIMP had performed miracles with linux on that computer when compared to Photoshop and other graphics manipulation apps with Windows on this computer.

this experience; using the gimp to accomplish a lot with very little has been invaluable to me. i really know the differences between selections and layers and how it plays with the cpu or swap -- i might not know the proper names or acronyms of the parts of the computer that were affected but i clearly understand the effect on the computer as a whole.

i had been using TheGIMP for years before i used the irc. when i met my heros on the irc they treated me in many ways. from abusive to far to lovingly. they were all linux developers then and most refused to use Windows.

most of them were very unhappy with tml's port -- even if it is difficult not to simply adore tml the human being. such a gracious and eloquant developer is very very very very rare. he really brought out the best in some of the worst of them. i like that he moved TheGIMP to windows -- my reasoning then was that my mom could use it.

i have recently figured out that my mom will never be mentally agile enough to use TheGIMP or most software on a computer.

they actually did not believe that i was able to make such art with so little equipment. they made me spit the information about my computer directly onto my website -- as if i knew how to edit it!

if you think i am trolling this list to try to help stop any stupid logic and reasoning from entering into the way the gimp works; i am.

if you think i am here to play the devils advocate and suggest the exact opposite -- for instance, then you are right. if this is a troll; i am.

perhaps i know what the lead developers actually want. perhaps i am one of the people who encouraged them to think more positively about windows development of TheGIMP. maybe i troll this list to help them to stay away from the troubles they were worried about introducing into the way gimp works.

degrading the way gimp works to compensate for something that windows did not do for a group of people who made a mess because they opted to work on windows to begin with should not happen.

if you consider being the person to catch nasa using old outdated libgimp being a troll -- well, that is me also. what do you think the chances of the gimp-1.0 red error and the nasa miscalculation of the "color of the universe" to be independent of each other by dumb luck well, i am a troll.

linux has its problems. i am seeing that it is much better financially to not do anything and to have people patiently explain your absence and let you sit there and not contribute for 4 years is better than to be the person constantly contributing.

however -- when it comes to what gimp does, i would take even one more Sven Neumann and go into debt even more with Manish Singh than one Windows user with a few bad ideas. combined they have the personallity of say, 6 wet towels -- but they have the curse of being able to think logically and that is better for gimp than any group of people who let themselves get caught up in a Windows mess.

so, you decide if i am a troll or not and be my guest -- delete the mails or even better yet tell your spam filter about me.

carol

Thomas Lübking
2004-03-20 19:46:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

On Saturday 20 March 2004 17:00, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

Trapped ;-)

sh...!!! (at least i could predict this :) but hey: i really don't like if someone calls my beloved gimp to be crap ;-)

Thomas

Alan Horkan
2004-03-21 02:10:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

so, you decide if i am a troll or not and be my guest -- delete the mails or even better yet tell your spam filter about me.

spam filters are no use for blocking people if you use the mailing list digest.

Carol Spears
2004-03-21 03:13:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

gimp2 on a 486

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 01:10:36AM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

spam filters are no use for blocking people if you use the mailing list digest.

well, maybe you could file an enhancement request with the mailman developers.

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html

i dunno. that is a real problem. it is difficult for me to imagine that the mailman developers did not think about this.

carol