RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

l10n warning

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

l10n warning Joao S. O. Bueno 19 Mar 06:17
  l10n warning Raphaël Quinet 19 Mar 13:56
   l10n warning Joao S. O. Bueno 19 Mar 19:20
    l10n warning Sven Neumann 19 Mar 20:45
  l10n warning Sven Neumann 19 Mar 14:16
Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-03-19 06:17:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

l10n warning

Hi there.

I am updating the translation because some strings had changed on the last couple days.

I thought it is interesting to mention that the string:

#: app/gui/image-menu.c:1744 Which is
Other (%s) ...

Is copyed from another one (as fuzzy) by gettext as a _"Other (%d:%d)"
from somewhere else. That means that in a lot of languages we will have a %d %d in a printf-like string that will get just a string as a parameter.

Well, some of you will certainly know better than I what this means - and I hope it only would be an issue in plain Console C printf's, not inside the GIMP.

Nonetheless, better be safe than sorry.

Raphaël Quinet
2004-03-19 13:56:23 UTC (about 20 years ago)

l10n warning

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 02:17:06 -0300, "Joao S. O. Bueno" wrote:

Other (%s) ...
from somewhere else. That means that in a lot of languages we will have a %d %d in a printf-like string that will get just a string as a parameter.

Let's see the good side of that: the opposite would have been much, much worse. ;-) Trying to use %s in a printf-like statement when two integers are supplied as parameters could have some consequences on the stability of the GIMP...

I agree.

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2004-03-19 14:16:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

l10n warning

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

I am updating the translation because some strings had changed on the last couple days.

I thought it is interesting to mention that the string:

#: app/gui/image-menu.c:1744 Which is
Other (%s) ...

Translations marked as fuzzy are not used. Also, if a translator would remove the fuzzy marker, 'msgfmt -c -v' would bail out with a fatal error. Running this check is a prerequisite before committing a changed po file.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-03-19 19:20:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

l10n warning

On Friday 19 March 2004 09:56, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 02:17:06 -0300, "Joao S. O. Bueno"

wrote:

Other (%s) ...

Let's see the good side of that: the opposite would have been much, much worse. ;-) Trying to use %s in a printf-like statement when two integers are supplied as parameters could have some consequences on the stability of the GIMP...

I agree.

-Raphaël

Ok, Currently there are these files in which this string is wrong.

gwidion@liberdade:~/gimp/po$ grep -A6 "#: app/gui/image-menu.c:1744" *po |grep "%d"
ca.po-msgstr "Altres (%d:%d) ..."
ga.po-msgstr "Eile (%d:%d) ..."
hr.po-msgstr "Drugi (%d:%d) ..."
lt.po-msgstr "Kitas (%d:%d) ..."
ms.po-msgstr "Lain (%d:%d) ..."
pt_BR.po-msgstr "Outro (%d:%d) ..."
zh_TW.po-msgstr "å¶å® (%d:%d) ..."
gwidion@liberdade:~/gimp/po$

I had submited the changes to pt_br yesterday, I think the anoncvs just did not catch on yet. (if the gnome l10n coordinator for pt_br comitted it at all.)
Someone should check again for the others just before a 2.0 final tarball.

Sven Neumann
2004-03-19 20:45:31 UTC (about 20 years ago)

l10n warning

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

Ok, Currently there are these files in which this string is wrong.

This is false alarm! All these are just fuzzy translations and if translators follow the simple rule of checking their translation with 'msgfmt -c -v', it is impossible that such an error cannot happen.

Sven