RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp.app application bundle

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

19 of 21 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 17 Mar 17:53
  Gimp.app application bundle Daniel Egger 17 Mar 18:01
  Gimp.app application bundle Dave Neary 17 Mar 18:02
  Gimp.app application bundle Carol Spears 17 Mar 18:49
   Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 17 Mar 19:26
    Gimp.app application bundle Carol Spears 18 Mar 02:21
     Gimp.app application bundle Manish Singh 18 Mar 02:22
      Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 18 Mar 03:08
       Gimp.app application bundle Michael Schumacher 18 Mar 15:38
       Gimp.app application bundle Carol Spears 18 Mar 15:56
      Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 19 Mar 23:34
       Gimp.app application bundle Michael Schumacher 19 Mar 23:45
  Gimp.app application bundle Daniel Egger 21 Mar 20:23
   Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 21 Mar 23:51
20040319205300.GE3930@lisa.... 07 Oct 20:22
  Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 20 Mar 10:01
   Gimp.app application bundle Sven Neumann 20 Mar 13:15
    Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 20 Mar 20:12
     Gimp.app application bundle Sven Neumann 20 Mar 21:55
20040322142017.A12834@taran... 07 Oct 20:22
  Gimp.app application bundle Aaron Voisine 22 Mar 22:34
Aaron Voisine
2004-03-17 17:53:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I have a self contained application bundle for the gimp on os x. Would this be of use as a binary download for the mac? It's only external dependency is that you have X11.app install somewhere on your system. It's also droppable so you can drag an image file onto the gimp icon and it'll open it. I notice that the website does not have rpms or any other binary downloads. It took some work to get the thing to be self contained. It seems like it would be useful for the greater gimp using community as the current method of getting the gimp on mac is to pay money to the macgimp project or spend three hours compiling with the fink, and then you're on your own to figure out how to get it to launch from the finder or dock. I don't have the bandwidth to host a publicly available download. What's the best way to make this available?

Here are the links. It's hosted on a cable modem, so be gentle.

http://www.voisine.org/images/Gimp-1.2.5.dmg

http://www.voisine.org/images/Gimp-2.0pre3.dmg

l8r Aaron

If two men agree on everything, you can be sure one of them is doing the thinking.

Daniel Egger
2004-03-17 18:01:53 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Mar 17, 2004, at 5:53 pm, Aaron Voisine wrote:

Here are the links. It's hosted on a cable modem, so be gentle.

Now this is really cool!

I'd really appreciate if we could put them somewhere on the official servers. If not, would it be an option for you to open a sourceforge project?

Servus, Daniel

Dave Neary
2004-03-17 18:02:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Voisine wrote:

I have a self contained application bundle for the gimp on os x. Would this be of use as a binary download for the mac?

Thanks a lot, this could be great.

We have a kind of policy of not providing "official" binaries (it's simply a question of resources), although I would like to see us build up a set of external binary download links (like Tor and Jernej's sites for Win32) for mac, and the most common Linux & Unix file formats (.deb, .rpm, Mandrake .rpm, .pkg) - would you be happy doing this? Can we provide a link to your download page from the gimp.org downloads page?

It
seems like it would be useful for the greater gimp using community as the current method of getting the gimp on mac is ...

I agree, mac users expect things on a platter.

I don't have the bandwidth to host a publicly available download. What's the best way to make this available?

Ah... Do we have any volunteers willing to host mac binaries for free downloads?

Thanks a lot for this.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-03-17 18:49:11 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:53:57AM -0800, Aaron Voisine wrote:

I don't have the bandwidth to host a publicly available download. What's the best way to make this available?

can you put it on the wiki?
http://wiki.gimp.org

carol

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-17 19:26:22 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I'll add something on the wiki as soon as my Gimp.app source forge project gets accepted and I can put in a link to it.

l8r
Aaron

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

On Mar 17, 2004, at 9:49 AM, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:53:57AM -0800, Aaron Voisine wrote:

can you put it on the wiki?
http://wiki.gimp.org

carol

Carol Spears
2004-03-18 02:21:04 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:26:22AM -0800, Aaron Voisine wrote:

I'll add something on the wiki as soon as my Gimp.app source forge project gets accepted and I can put in a link to it.

hmm, do we need to add the upload plugin to the wiki?

or is not having an acceptance policy on the wiki an issue?

carol

Manish Singh
2004-03-18 02:22:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:21:04PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

The ftp site would be a fine place to host it. Stick it in ftp.gimp.org/incoming and drop a note to ftp-admin@gimp.org.

-Yosh

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-18 03:08:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

It's been uploaded to ftp.gimp.org/incoming.

I'm not familiar with wiki. Did you mean for me to upload the application bundle to the wiki? I thought wiki's were just for blogging and hypertext.

l8r Aaron

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. On Mar 17, 2004, at 5:22 PM, Manish Singh wrote:

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:21:04PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

The ftp site would be a fine place to host it. Stick it in ftp.gimp.org/incoming and drop a note to ftp-admin@gimp.org.

-Yosh

Michael Schumacher
2004-03-18 15:38:23 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Aaron Voisine wrote:

I'm not familiar with wiki. Did you mean for me to upload the application bundle to the wiki? I thought wiki's were just for blogging and hypertext.

Wikis can be used for (almost) anything. There is no big difference between uploading text via a textarea field or uploading a file via a file input (and if there is one, you should switch to another programming language ;)

I don't think that binaries (besides images etc) should be uploaded to the gimp wiki, though.

HTH,
Michael

Carol Spears
2004-03-18 15:56:50 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:08:41PM -0800, Aaron Voisine wrote:

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/UploadFile

it has to be added to the gimp wiki, however.

carol

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-19 23:34:37 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Okay... I made a tweak to the 2.0pre3 bundle so it no longer assumes the /etc/fonts directory exits. I thought /etc/fonts was installed by X11.app, but apparently that's not the case. I also added a readme and a GPL license file to the dmg as well as a couple of weblink files for downloading X11.app There is now a new sourceforge project website for it. It's ready to be linked to from gimp.org.

http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net

If anyone has any suggestions for the website or the application bundles, let me know.

l8r Aaron

Commitment can be illustrated by a breakfast of ham and eggs. The chicken was involved, the pig was committed.

Michael Schumacher
2004-03-19 23:45:42 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Aaron Voisine wrote:

Okay... I made a tweak to the 2.0pre3 bundle so it no longer assumes the /etc/fonts directory exits.

If anyone has any suggestions for the website or the application bundles, let me know.

Why not pre4?

Michael

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-20 10:01:07 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Okay... The sourceforge mirrors were taking a long time to get the dmg images, and they were very slow to download from anyway, so I changed the links on http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net to point to osdn.dl.sourceforge.net This is fast and has the most recent files immediately and also makes the page simpler since there is no intermediate mirror selection page. Normally I would use the mirrors, but the main site seems to have the least load by far.

Also I realized that I mistakenly left a large tar file containing all the compiled dependencies inside the 2.0 app bundle... oops. Now the image for 2.0 is about 25MB instead of 50. heh... In any case. Now it's really ready to be linked to from gimp.org, in case someone checked it earlier and couldn't download the images. Has anyone tried it with 10.2 yet?

l8r
Aaron

Commitment can be illustrated by a breakfast of ham and eggs. The chicken was involved, the pig was committed.

On Mar 19, 2004, at 12:53 PM, Terje Tjervaag wrote:

That sounds good. I'd be more than willing to help out with this, I think
it's really cool that someone has taken the initiative to get Gimp2 out in a
nice mac version! Keep me updated, will you?

Sven Neumann
2004-03-20 13:15:52 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Aaron Voisine writes:

Okay... The sourceforge mirrors were taking a long time to get the dmg images, and they were very slow to download from anyway, so I changed the links on http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net to point to osdn.dl.sourceforge.net This is fast and has the most recent files immediately and also makes the page simpler since there is no intermediate mirror selection page. Normally I would use the mirrors, but the main site seems to have the least load by far.

Also I realized that I mistakenly left a large tar file containing all the compiled dependencies inside the 2.0 app bundle... oops. Now the image for 2.0 is about 25MB instead of 50. heh... In any case. Now it's really ready to be linked to from gimp.org, in case someone checked it earlier and couldn't download the images. Has anyone tried it with 10.2 yet?

Before we can link to it, you definitely should add a link to the source code you used to build the packages. It would also be nice to have instructions on how to build such an application bundle from scratch. I think the web-team will happily add a link to the macintosh page then.

Sven

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-20 20:12:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

The picture of wilbur at the top is a link to gimp.org. I used fink to do the compile... The only code I wrote was a pair of shell scripts which are in the bundle.

I've added a link to Platypus, which is a GPL program I used for the droppable cocoa-based wrapper around the shell scripts.

Basically I just compiled it with the fink, moved all the files and dependencies inside an app bundle created with platypus, and modified the start up script to start up X11 and set some environment variables so gimp can find its plugins and shared object files.

l8r
Aaron

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Before we can link to it, you definitely should add a link to the source code you used to build the packages. It would also be nice to have instructions on how to build such an application bundle from scratch. I think the web-team will happily add a link to the macintosh page then.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-03-20 21:55:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Aaron Voisine writes:

The picture of wilbur at the top is a link to gimp.org.

It would be nice if you could add a link to the tarball that the current package was built from. The GPL requires you to do at least that. It shouldn't hurt, so please add a link that points directly to the source code.

Sven

Daniel Egger
2004-03-21 20:23:56 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On 17.03.2004, at 17:53, Aaron Voisine wrote:

I have a self contained application bundle for the gimp on os x. Would this be of use as a binary download for the mac? It's only external dependency is that you have X11.app install somewhere on your system.

I finally came around to test the GIMP.app bundles you've produced. Unfortunately neither of them does work, neither from the image not for a different place on my harddrive. The application bounces for a while and disappears.

This is a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.3.3.

Servus, Daniel

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-21 23:51:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Can you open the Console application and tell me what it says? Do you have X11.app installed?

l8r Aaron

On Mar 21, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Daniel Egger wrote:

On 17.03.2004, at 17:53, Aaron Voisine wrote:

I have a self contained application bundle for the gimp on os x. Would this be of use as a binary download for the mac? It's only external dependency is that you have X11.app install somewhere on your system.

I finally came around to test the GIMP.app bundles you've produced. Unfortunately neither of them does work, neither from the image not for a different place on my harddrive. The application bounces for a while and disappears.

This is a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.3.3.

Servus, Daniel

Aaron Voisine
2004-03-22 22:34:48 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Mar 22, 2004, at 5:20 AM, Daniel Egger wrote:

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 02:51:44PM -0800, Aaron Voisine wrote:

Can you open the Console application and tell me what it says?

Sure, sorry for not doing that right away.

lucy:~/Desktop egger$ ./Gimp2.app/Contents/MacOS/Gimp2 GIMP could not initialize the graphical user interface. Make sure a proper setup for your display environment exists.

Tim Allen actually found this problem as well. I've fixed it. I was setting DISPLAY to localhost:0.0 instead of :0.0 This will work with the default installation, but if you turn off support for remote network x11 connections then it breaks. There was another problem I fixed that occurs if you have a custom ~/.xinitrc file that calls quartz-wm with a full path.

Get the latest from http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net

I'm currently working on getting the app bundle to be droppable after it's already running by using gimp-remote. I got it to open new files after it's running, but for some reason the thread that runs gimp-remote kills the gimp.app program when it terminates... I'm getting closer. I'm making changes to platypus to get that to work, so I'll post my modified platypus code on the gimp.app sourceforge project once it's working.

l8r Aaron