RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Press pack

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Press pack Dave Neary 15 Mar 17:26
  Press pack Roman Joost 15 Mar 22:41
   Press pack Dave Neary 16 Mar 09:15
  Typos [was Re: Press pack] Shlomi Fish 16 Mar 15:48
   Typos [was Re: Press pack] Henrik Brix Andersen 16 Mar 17:38
  Press pack Jakub Steiner 21 Mar 19:17
   Press pack Branko Collin 21 Mar 14:22
    Press pack Alan Horkan 21 Mar 22:05
   Press pack David Neary 21 Mar 19:24
dneary@free.fr 07 Oct 20:22
  Press pack Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk 15 Mar 23:14
Dave Neary
2004-03-15 17:26:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

Hi all,

So, over the weekend I did some work on the press pack, mainly re-wording some thing in the article (there are some things I removed too) to get to a 4 page article. The article, with screenshots, is online at http://scrappy.ath.cx/~bolsh/ - the article itself is in presspack.pdf (1.1MB), the latex input file is in presspack.tex, and the screenshots for the article are in that directory too. To re-generate the article, you'll need a recent tex & latex version (I made it with RedHat 8), and you'll need to convert the pngs to epss - I did this with

for i in *.png; do convert $i ${i}.eps
done

So - there we go. I have a copy here, and I think it looks pretty good. The text might need a bit more work, and if anyone wants to comment, they are free to do so (currently the wiki is down, but I will put the revised text in a different wiki page, WhatsNewBolshEdit, since I've changed quite a lot). Some of what I removed were tutorial type key-sequences and some details which I didn't think fitted well with an introduction article.

Currently there are creditted authors - I think in the final version there shouldn't be. And the credits do not include the number of people who modified or improved the wiki page, since I don't have that list.

So - there we go. Any reccommendations before 2.0 should go here, or to the wiki.

Cheers, Dave.

Roman Joost
2004-03-15 22:41:00 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 05:26:34PM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

So, over the weekend I did some work on the press pack, mainly re-wording some thing in the article (there are some things I removed too) to get to a 4 page article. The article, with screenshots, is online at http://scrappy.ath.cx/~bolsh/ - the article itself is in presspack.pdf (1.1MB), the latex input file is in presspack.tex, and the screenshots for the article are in that directory too. To re-generate the article, you'll need a recent tex & latex version (I made it with RedHat 8), and you'll need to convert the pngs to epss - I did this with

for i in *.png; do convert $i ${i}.eps
done

May I suggest, that 'pdflatex presspack.tex' will do the job very quickly without converting the png's into eps files.

So - there we go. Any reccommendations before 2.0 should go here, or to the wiki.

I looked at the article and sometimes browsed the wiki pages as well. Good work!

Greetings

Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk
2004-03-15 23:14:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

Press release looks good. I would change the phrase "channels and layers" to "channels, layers and masks". Or somehow advertise that Gimp has masks (something that Photoshop Elements 2.0 is lacking btw). -----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

Dave Neary
2004-03-16 09:15:55 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

Hi,

Roman Joost wrote:

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 05:26:34PM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

you'll
need to convert the pngs to epss - I did this with

May I suggest, that 'pdflatex presspack.tex' will do the job very quickly without converting the png's into eps files.

Yes you may - except brix got there first :) You learn something new every day. Using pdflatex messed up the figure scales though, and made the pdf file bigger.

Cheers, Dave.

Shlomi Fish
2004-03-16 15:48:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Typos [was Re: Press pack]

In Page 3:

Replace "a expert quality photo retouching" with "an expert...".

Replace "a image format converter" with "an image format converter"

Could not find any other typos.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@vipe.technion.ac.il Home Page: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

You are banished! You are banished! You are banished!

Hey? I'm just kidding!

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-03-16 17:38:51 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Typos [was Re: Press pack]

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 15:48, Shlomi Fish wrote:

In Page 3:

Replace "a expert quality photo retouching" with "an expert...".

Replace "a image format converter" with "an image format converter"

Could not find any other typos.

Thank you. I've corrected the typos in my local copy (work in progress).

Sincerely, Brix

Branko Collin
2004-03-21 14:22:08 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

On 21 Mar 2004, at 19:17, Jakub Steiner wrote:

I made a couple of demos of the new GIMP 2 functionality. I believe it works a lot better than just a list of new functionality. They are divx avis and it's approx 80MB. Feel free to mirror it on the gimp.org website and use it for the 2.0 release extravaganza.

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/gimp2demos.php

I have tried to play these demos using Windows Media Player (Microsoft) version 2, 7 and 9, and in all instances it crashed my mediaplayer. The error messages says something about a divx module; probably just the decoder I am using.

Still, it would perhaps be handy to test this on other Windows installations if this URL is going to be sent to any other than GNU/Linux using journalists.

Jakub Steiner
2004-03-21 19:17:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

Hi Dave,
I made a couple of demos of the new GIMP 2 functionality. I believe it works a lot better than just a list of new functionality. They are divx avis and it's approx 80MB. Feel free to mirror it on the gimp.org website and use it for the 2.0 release extravaganza.

cheers

David Neary
2004-03-21 19:24:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

Hi Jimmac,

Jakub Steiner wrote:

Cool :) Thanks a lot. Brix has taken over polishing of the press releases, since I really didn't have any time this week.

Cheers, Dave.

Alan Horkan
2004-03-21 22:05:42 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Press pack

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Branko Collin wrote:

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:22:08 +0100 From: Branko Collin
To: Gimp Developer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Press pack

On 21 Mar 2004, at 19:17, Jakub Steiner wrote:

I have tried to play these demos using Windows Media Player (Microsoft) version 2, 7 and 9, and in all instances it crashed my mediaplayer. The error messages says something about a divx module; probably just the decoder I am using.

Still, it would perhaps be handy to test this on other Windows installations if this URL is going to be sent to any other than GNU/Linux using journalists.

If the video needs to be recoded may I humbly recommend using Xvid. http://www.xvid.org (although perhaps you are already using it merely referring to it as DivX for convenience)

It is almost at 1.0, in the prerelease/release candidate stages at the moment. It is a proper open source MPEG 4 implementation.

- Alan H