RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Re : Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp -developer] spl ash pictur [jea n-luc.coulon@wa nadoo.fr]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

splash picture and its container window Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 13 Mar 13:34
  splash picture and its container window Henrik Brix Andersen 13 Mar 13:47
   Re : [Gimp-developer ] splash picture and its container window Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 13 Mar 14:06
    Re Henrik Brix Andersen 13 Mar 14:11
     Re : splash picture and its container window Raphaël Quinet 13 Mar 14:55
    Re : [Gimp- developer] spla sh picture and its container w indow Sven Neumann 13 Mar 15:13
    Re : [Gimp-devel oper] splash picture and its container window David Neary 13 Mar 15:22
     Re : Re : [Gimp-de veloper] splash picture and its container window Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 13 Mar 15:35
20040313142802.GA14762@tang... 07 Oct 20:22
  Fwd : Re : Re : [G imp-developer] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr] Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 13 Mar 15:29
   Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp-deve loper] splash p ictur [jean-luc .coulon@wanadoo .fr] Sven Neumann 13 Mar 16:20
    Re : Fwd : Re : Re  : [Gimp-developer ] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr] Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 13 Mar 16:42
     Re : Fwd : Re : Re  : [Gimp-developer ] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr] Alan Horkan 14 Mar 01:48
      Re : Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp -developer] spl ash pictur [jea n-luc.coulon@wa nadoo.fr] Sven Neumann 14 Mar 02:31
       Re : Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp -developer] spl ash pictur [jea n-luc.coulon@wa nadoo.fr] Alan Horkan 14 Mar 18:07
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-13 13:34:26 UTC (about 20 years ago)

splash picture and its container window

Hello,

The spash picture is dispayed in a window where the system display a progress dialog for the loading process.

The container window for this spash picture has its width resized according to the with of the text line(s) displayed. This produces an a not nice "oscillating" effect on the screen. --
Regards
- Jean-Luc

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-03-13 13:47:26 UTC (about 20 years ago)

splash picture and its container window

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 13:34, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

The container window for this spash picture has its width resized according to the with of the text line(s) displayed. This produces an a not nice "oscillating" effect on the screen.

Which version of The GIMP?
Under which locale are you running The GIMP?

Sincerely, Brix

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-13 14:06:07 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : [Gimp-developer ] splash picture and its container window

Henrik,

Le 13.03.2004 13:47, Henrik Brix Andersen a écrit :

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 13:34, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

The container window for this spash picture has its width resized according to the with of the text line(s) displayed. This produces an
a not nice "oscillating" effect on the screen.

Which version of The GIMP?

So, I forgot: it is the 2.0-pre cvs version from 20040312.

Locale is fr_FR@euro, but I tried with LC_MESSAGES=C and got the same effect (less annoying anyway because the English sentences are mostly shorter).

--
Regards
- Jean-Luc

Sincerely,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-03-13 14:11:48 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 14:06, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

Locale is fr_FR@euro, but I tried with LC_MESSAGES=C and got the same effect (less annoying anyway because the English sentences are mostly shorter).

I can not reproduce the problem here using LANG=C. Can you provide a screen shot showing the problem?

./Brix

Raphaël Quinet
2004-03-13 14:55:22 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : splash picture and its container window

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:11:48 +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 14:06, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

I can not reproduce the problem here using LANG=C. Can you provide a screen shot showing the problem?

It probably depends on the font size that you are using. I could reproduce the annoying resizing problem by reducing the width of the splash screen in order to make the problem more obvious. Just edit $PREFIX/share/gimp/1.3/images/gimp_splash.png and make it smaller. You will then see the splash window getting wider and narrower during start-up.

I don't know if we should try to have a wider splash screen. Is this a real issue in many locales?

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2004-03-13 15:13:02 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : [Gimp- developer] spla sh picture and its container w indow

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

The container window for this spash picture has its width resized according to the with of the text line(s) displayed. This produces an a not nice "oscillating" effect on the screen.

Your font size got to be HUGE. I would suggest you start gimp using the --no-splash command-line option to workaround this problem.

Sven

PS: I am planning to do some changes to the splash window today or tomorrow. Should be trivial to work around this problem by cutting the text off if it's too wide.

David Neary
2004-03-13 15:22:07 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : [Gimp-devel oper] splash picture and its container window

hi Jean-Luc,

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

So, I forgot: it is the 2.0-pre cvs version from 20040312. Locale is fr_FR@euro, but I tried with LC_MESSAGES=C and got the same effect (less annoying anyway because the English sentences are mostly shorter).

This may be a problem related to your desktop fonts. Here with fr_FR and en_UK or C I have no problem.

If you use a bigger font in your gtk+ theme, that might make the text wide enough to over-run the splash box.

What's your expected behaviour here. That the text be chopped at the edges of the splash, or that the window be big enough for the biggest string from the start?

Cheers, Dave.

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-13 15:29:54 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Fwd : Re : Re : [G imp-developer] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr]

Le 13.03.2004 15:28, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) a écrit : Le 13.03.2004 15:13, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

Your font size got to be HUGE. I would suggest you start gimp using the --no-splash command-line option to workaround this problem.

Sven

PS: I am planning to do some changes to the splash window today or tomorrow. Should be trivial to work around this problem by cutting the text off if it's too wide.

I don't think my font size is so huge ;-)

I join (for you, not for the list, as requested by Henrik) a screenshot of what happens with the French locale.

I was not able, after lots of tries, to get a capture of the same thing with the C locale, I'm always out of sync: this happens only in one case, when it is loading the "Resource configuration" and the displayed path is too long, it is "/home/jean-luc/.gimp1.3/pluginrc" ; this text is larger that the width of the splash image so the windows width is increased accordingly.

*I* can survive with this "problem". It is not looking so pretty that's all ..

--
Regards
- Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-13 15:35:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Re : [Gimp-de veloper] splash picture and its container window

Hi David,

Le 13.03.2004 15:22, David Neary a écrit :

hi Jean-Luc,

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

So, I forgot: it is the 2.0-pre cvs version from 20040312. Locale is fr_FR@euro, but I tried with LC_MESSAGES=C and got the same

effect (less annoying anyway because the English sentences are mostly

shorter).

This may be a problem related to your desktop fonts. Here with fr_FR and en_UK or C I have no problem.

If you use a bigger font in your gtk+ theme, that might make the text wide enough to over-run the splash box.

This is the case, my font size is 12 8-)

What's your expected behaviour here. That the text be chopped at the edges of the splash, or that the window be big enough for the biggest string from the start?

*My* expected behaviour is ... nothing. I just *think* it would have a better "sex appeal" for the end user who is comming from an other software and who thinks the look is important.

Any of your suggestions is acceptable: - text cropped : motly nobody read it as it is moving very quickly - larger window can be *the* solution but you will have to fix/compute and acceptable width.

--
Regards
- Jean-Luc

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary,
Lyon, France
E-Mail: bolsh@gimp.org

Sven Neumann
2004-03-13 16:20:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp-deve loper] splash p ictur [jean-luc .coulon@wanadoo .fr]

Hi,

Well, your font isn't that huge but you've choosen a very wide font. It's of course up to you, but you will be suffering from this problem in all dialogs. I suggest you don't use an oblique font for your desktop.

Sven

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-13 16:42:37 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Fwd : Re : Re  : [Gimp-developer ] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr]

Hi Sven,

Le 13.03.2004 16:20, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

Well, your font isn't that huge but you've choosen a very wide font. It's of course up to you, but you will be suffering from this problem in all dialogs. I suggest you don't use an oblique font for your desktop.

Snifff ... I loved it ...

But you are right, in the past, I had a problem with the gnome-panel and italic fonts, the right-end character was truncated (fixed in gnome 2.6).

For The Gimp, with simple arial, up to 12, there is no problem.

While we are speaking of splash screen a 3:2 ratio or 4:3 ratio or "magic number" ratio rectangle instead of a square shape would looks even better, but it is a matter of taste ;-)

-- J-L

Sven

Alan Horkan
2004-03-14 01:48:49 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Fwd : Re : Re  : [Gimp-developer ] splash pictur [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr]

Sven Neumann
2004-03-14 02:31:43 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Fwd : Re : Re : [Gimp -developer] spl ash pictur [jea n-luc.coulon@wa nadoo.fr]

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

PS How are the Splash and About images still PPM format* because I was wondering why they aren't in a smaller format like PNG? (* I dont have the latest copy of GIMP 2.0 handy otherwise I'd check)

Please get a recent copy then or refrain from commenting on our code. These files are PNG for more than 2 years now. You could have downloaded a new version in the meantime.

Of course we know about the problems that l10n can introduce. However the solution to this problem is not to add some arbitrary extra space but to adjust either the widget or the font size dynamically. Usually the widget is adjusted but for the about dialog we adjust the font size and I consider to do the same for the splash.

Sven

Alan Horkan
2004-03-14 18:07:52 UTC (about 20 years ago)