RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser Sven Neumann 11 Mar 13:18
  GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser Dave Neary 11 Mar 14:18
   GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser Sven Neumann 11 Mar 16:25
    GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser Dave Neary 11 Mar 16:52
     GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser Daniel Egger 11 Mar 17:15
    GIMP and the new GTK+ filechooser David Odin 11 Mar 17:01
Sven Neumann
2004-03-11 13:18:56 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

just found these screenshots on gnomedesktop.org:

http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/filechooser-gimp.png http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/filechooser-save.png

Looks like thanks to the feedback from Mitch and many others, the GTK+ filechooser is getting somewhere in the end :)

People will soon start to ask why GIMP 2.0 doesn't use the new filechooser yet. Not sure how we would best react to this. Should we promote Mitch's patches? If we do that we will most likely very soon see binary GIMP2 packages showing up that have these patches included. Mitch, what do you think? Would that be a problem at all?

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-03-11 14:18:32 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

People will soon start to ask why GIMP 2.0 doesn't use the new filechooser yet. Not sure how we would best react to this.

We should just say that GTK+ 2.4 is not out yet, and we can't base stable software on an unstable toolkit. Especially since we've been in a pre-release freeze for 3 months.

Should we promote Mitch's patches?

No harm in that.

If we do that we will most likely very soon see binary GIMP2 packages showing up that have these patches included. Mitch, what do you think? Would that be a problem at all?

I doubt that. Especially since the sources we'll provide will only require gtk+ 2.2. The target, I guess, is to have a GIMP based on 2.4 around the time where distros start shipping GNOME 2.6. Which will probably be towards the end of the Summer.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-03-11 16:25:47 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Dave,

Dave Neary writes:

We should just say that GTK+ 2.4 is not out yet, and we can't base stable software on an unstable toolkit. Especially since we've been in a pre-release freeze for 3 months.

By the time that GIMP 2.0 is release, GTK+ 2.4 will be released as well. We might be able to be release a few days earlier, or it might happen the other way around.

If we do that we will most likely very soon see binary GIMP2 packages showing up that have these patches included. Mitch, what do you think? Would that be a problem at all?

I doubt that. Especially since the sources we'll provide will only require gtk+ 2.2. The target, I guess, is to have a GIMP based on 2.4 around the time where distros start shipping GNOME 2.6. Which will probably be towards the end of the Summer.

Distros will start shipping GNOME 2.6 shortly after it has been released and the release schedule for GNOME 2.6 says March 22nd. This date will have to be corrected due to the delayed GTK+-2.4 release but I think we can expect a GNOME 2.6 release in early April.

Thus, we should face the fact that at least some distros will make their GIMP 2.0 packages depend on GTK+-2.4 and ship with these patches applied.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-03-11 16:52:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

The target, I guess, is to have a GIMP based on 2.4 around the time where distros start shipping GNOME 2.6. Which will probably be towards the end of the Summer.

Distros will start shipping GNOME 2.6 shortly after it has been released and the release schedule for GNOME 2.6 says March 22nd. This date will have to be corrected due to the delayed GTK+-2.4 release but I think we can expect a GNOME 2.6 release in early April.

Thus, we should face the fact that at least some distros will make their GIMP 2.0 packages depend on GTK+-2.4 and ship with these patches applied.

If distributions choose to do that we certainly won't stop them. I think that we could also encourage distributions to use development releases if they're releasing GNOME 2.6 - we're planning on keeping the development releases more or less always releasable, so this could be possible.

I think that you're being optimistic to say that distris will ship with GNOME 2.6 as soon as it hits 2.6 - even if it's out in early April (and I have no doubt that it will be), the release schedules for the distros are not going to coincide so that Mandrake 11 comes out a week afterwards with GNOME 2.6 in there. Optimistically, GNOME 2.6 will start appearing in stable distro releases 2 to 3 months after it's released. Which brings us to June or July.

It looks like gnome 2.6 will probably not make it into Fedora Core 2 (which is due out in May, but should be frozen by the time GNOME 2.6 comes out) - since Mandrake 10 just came out I don't think Mandrake 11 will be for a few months, and Debian aren't really that bothered about releases bug GNOME'll be in testing before the end of April.

So who does that leave? I'm not sure what Suse's release schedule is, but based on the above, the first mainstream distro with GNOME 2.6 in a release will be either Fedora Core 2 in May, or Mandrake in August or September. That is, unless Debian decide to have a surprise stable release in May or June with GNOME 2.6 in it.

Cheers, Dave.

David Odin
2004-03-11 17:01:00 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 04:25:47PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi Dave,

Dave Neary writes:

By the time that GIMP 2.0 is release, GTK+ 2.4 will be released as well. We might be able to be release a few days earlier, or it might happen the other way around.

Agreed, but the filechooser is still under development/testing.

I don't see a problem with this. As long as the distros maintain their patches themselves. I don't really know how Mitch's patch works, but may be it could be included with some #ifdef GTK2_4. This way, we could release a gimp-2.0.1 with or without support for filechooser.

DindinX

Daniel Egger
2004-03-11 17:15:16 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Mar 11, 2004, at 4:52 pm, Dave Neary wrote:

So who does that leave? I'm not sure what Suse's release schedule is, but based on the above, the first mainstream distro with GNOME 2.6 in a release will be either Fedora Core 2 in May, or Mandrake in August or September. That is, unless Debian decide to have a surprise stable release in May or June with GNOME 2.6 in it.

2.6 will very likely not be included in the next release of SUSE linux. The release after will probably be 7-9 months after the current release which I would assume to happen in 1-2 months from now.

So either the unlikely case happens that they will put it in their latest release maybe with help from Ximian or it will first occur in the distribution almost a year from now.

DISCLAIMER: Except from claim that 2.6 will miss the next release based on the assumption that they already are in featurefreeze everything else is really guesswork. I do not have any insider information....

Servus, Daniel