RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Update

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Update David Neary 02 Feb 23:14
  GIMP Update raymond ostertag 02 Feb 23:53
  GIMP Update raymond ostertag 02 Feb 23:53
   GIMP Update Dave Neary 03 Feb 11:12
    GIMP Update raymond ostertag 03 Feb 19:13
     GIMP Update Dave Neary 04 Feb 14:53
      GIMP Update raymond ostertag 05 Feb 19:16
  GIMP Update Joao S. O. Bueno 03 Feb 00:18
David Neary
2004-02-02 23:14:27 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

Hi all,

It's been a while since we've had anything like the status updates we had before Christmas, so here goes...

We're in pre-release mode, as many of you might have noticed. gimp-2.0pre3 should be coming out this week, and will contain another 40 or so known bug fixes and lots of code clean-up we didn't know about to help 2.0 be even more stable than it would have been if we hadn't fixed the bugs.

Of note are a number of fixes and features which have been added to the tiff plug-in in recent weeks, thanks to Andrej Kiselev, the libtiff maintainer. We've also had a modification in the behaviour of the zoom tool, as a result of a lively discussion between Simon Budig (of path tool fame) and Guillermo Romero.

Mitch has, as usual, been doing great work. Among the changes he's made are to merge all shortcuts on image windows and docks together, so that the same shortcuts work regardless of whether the active window is the image window or another dock. He's also fixed a massive 17 of the 35 bug fixes since pre2 came out.

Aside from that, there's lots of stuff happenning outside CVS too... the help team recently did a pre-release of the gimp-help-2 module, and it's looking very good. Roman, Daniel, Raymond, Niklas, Sven and everyone else who is working on the help right now are doing a great job.

Sven and Wolfgang Hofer have also recently released a 2.0 snapshot of the GAP plug-in, which is lookign very nice indeed. At the moment, it has more or less all the functionality of the CinePaint frame editor, and then some. Recent additions like the bluebox plug-in and onionskin plug-in, as well as updates to the MovePath plug-in, have made this an excellent animation package.

Dan Rogers is putting a lot of time into getting the GIMP Foundation up and running. This has been a tough job, which he has done more or less alone. We now need to start thinking about things like the eventual organisation fo the foundation, but having a foundation is a great step towards getting some funding for things like GUADEC.

Dan and Calvin have also been talking quite a bit about how they see gegl moving forward to an eventual integration with the GIMP. There was a very lively thread on gegl-developers recently, which would be very interesting reading for all GIMP developers wondering about gegl. Unfortunately, the archives haven't yet caught up with the list, so those of you not subscribed to the list will have to wait a while. The commits have also accelerated recently in gegl - the bones of the image data structures is now present in CVS (much of it with dummy implementations, but the APIs are now available).

Also, organisation plans for the GIMP conference are moving along nicely. It was decided to share the conference with GUADEC, which reduces the amount of organisation time to put in. Dan and I have started organising fundraising, and will soon be looking for more volunteers to get decent contacts for funding. The graphics thread of guadec is looking promising, and for those of you who are thinking of writing a paper, or making a presentation, the closing date for submissions is in 2 weeks time.

So there we go... hoopefully a month from now, more or less, we will be celebrating the final release of the GIMP 2.0, and preparing for GUADEC/GIMPCon in June - start booking your flights soon, and see ye there!

Cheers, Dave.

raymond ostertag
2004-02-02 23:53:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

Aside from that, there's lots of stuff happenning outside CVS too... the help team recently did a pre-release of the gimp-help-2 module, and it's looking very good. Roman, Daniel, Raymond, Niklas, Sven and everyone else who is working on the help right now are doing a great job.

s/sven/julien
I consider that Julien is our main doc-writer. L'oublier c'est une insulte grave aux contributeurs !!! As I know, Sven did'nt wrote any chapter (thank you for install script aniway).

Dave please check our Wiki if you don't want a new flameware.

@+ Raymond

raymond ostertag
2004-02-02 23:53:50 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

s/sven/julien
I consider that Julien is a main doc-writer. L'oublier c'est une insulte grave aux contributeurs !!! As I know, Sven did'nt wrote any chapter (thank you for install script aniway).

Dave please check our Wiki if you don't want a new flameware.

@+ Raymond

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-02-03 00:18:28 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

On Monday 02 February 2004 20:14, David Neary wrote:

Hi all,

Well..

it seens all parts of the GIMP are moving along quite well __but__ the web team. Any news on the site update?

Regards, JS
->

Dave Neary
2004-02-03 11:12:11 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

Hi Raymond,

raymond ostertag wrote:

s/sven/julien

Perhaps s/sven/julien and sven/? Sven's put quite a bit of time into the docs recently, and it's because of him that we can now make snapshots that actually install.

I consider that Julien is a main doc-writer.

Sorry - excuse the omission - I have understood that you were now the main .fr GIMP docs contributor. Merci Julien for les docs en francais.

L'oublier c'est une insulte grave aux contributeurs !!! As I know, Sven did'nt wrote any chapter (thank you for install script aniway).

Excusez moi tous - j'ai bien sûr pas été complète, et je voulais surtout pas insulter qui que ce soit.

Cheers, Dave.

raymond ostertag
2004-02-03 19:13:12 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

Le mar 03/02/2004 à 11:12, Dave Neary a écrit :

Sorry - excuse the omission - I have understood that you were now the main .fr GIMP docs contributor. Merci Julien for les docs en francais.

Julien wrote :
- french translation of main tools
- english and french doc for color tools - english and french doc for the fisrt part of the filters : Blur/ color / Noise / Edge / Enhance / Generic (some filters are still not committed in CVS)
- english translation for my path tool and corrections of my dialogs doc I only wrote :
- doc for path tool in french, layer (not in CVS) and channel doc in french and english
(And also many works on fr.po)

Comme tu peux le voir, merci pour les docs en français n'est donc toujours pas correct... et de très loin.

L'oublier c'est une insulte grave aux contributeurs !!! As I know, Sven did'nt wrote any chapter (thank you for install script aniway).

Excusez moi tous - j'ai bien sûr pas été complète, et je voulais surtout pas insulter qui que ce soit.

Je me doute bien qu'il n'y rien de volontaire mais ce genre de gaffe peut froisser énormément les gens. Fais attention SVP car les contributeurs sont rares...

Dave Neary
2004-02-04 14:53:52 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

Hi,

raymond ostertag wrote:

Julien wrote :
- french translation of main tools
- english and french doc for color tools - english and french doc for the fisrt part of the filters : Blur/ color / Noise / Edge / Enhance / Generic (some filters are still not committed in CVS)
- english translation for my path tool and corrections of my dialogs doc I only wrote :
- doc for path tool in french, layer (not in CVS) and channel doc in french and english
(And also many works on fr.po)

I have looked at the changelog for the docs, and indeed between yourself and Julien, you've written over half of the English docs in there. I really do apologise for the omission - until yesterday I wasn't aware of the work ye had done.

Would it be possible for the dcs team to do occasional update reports like I've tried to do over the past few months? It's easy to forget about ye, because all too often we don't look at the docs until there's a release. Roman did an update recently, and it would be nice if this became a regular feature, just to let us know who to thank :)

Cheers,
Dave.

raymond ostertag
2004-02-05 19:16:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

GIMP Update

Le mer 04/02/2004 à 14:53, Dave Neary a écrit :

Hi,

Hello,

Would it be possible for the dcs team to do occasional update reports like I've tried to do over the past few months? It's easy to forget about ye, because all too often we don't look at the docs until there's a release. Roman did an update recently, and it would be nice if this became a regular feature, just to let us know who to thank :)

We are using the Wiki to know who works on what : http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpDocsWip May be we could change this and have our own mailing-list like gimp-web.

The Authors are listed here : http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpDocs

Update reports or release ? You know my opinion, we are not ready for that.

@+
Raymond