RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Path tool problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Path tool problems Juhana Sadeharju 02 Feb 20:53
  Path tool problems Simon Budig 02 Feb 22:14
Juhana Sadeharju
2004-02-02 20:53:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Path tool problems

Hello.

Has anyone else found the path tool hard to use?

IMHO, the usability is very low there. If I choose to make first a polyline and then adjust the curve, the curve type seems to be unsuitable. The curve goes easily to serpent. If I choose to make the curve progressively, I have to switch between the new point and edit mode -- and still the curve is hard to control.

Here is a list of my foundings: -Points are can be invisible against a scanned pencil drawing (greyscale) -No indication if something can be done to the points when the pointer is near them
-No indication what operation is applied when shift or ctrl is held down -When making a closed path, there is no indication when pointer is on the first point
-Has to switch to separate edit point mode for moving the earlier points -Has to switch to separate edit point mode for adjusting curvatures of the earlier points
-Edit point mode changes to the new point mode even I would like to continue editing
-A square anchor point may appear when one closes the path (should it come only after one starts the second path?) -First point of the path is often invisible, making it difficult to place the second point
-Placing new points to the path is difficult without accidentally adjusting curvature (making the path becomes slow task); moreover, the curve becomes out as boozer's walk
Because the curve type is so difficult, I only make polylines. But as said, the tool is not well suited to that either.

My suggestions if I choose to make polyline first: -mb1 places new point
-mb1 if near an earlier point, moves the earlier point -shift+mb1 if near the first point closes the polyline -Pointer pixmap indicates when an earlier point is near enough for picking
-New point would appear at button release (so that curvature is not adjusted accidentally)
As said, there is no point to edit the curvatures after this because the curve type seems to be wrong. Traditional Bezier curve could be better, i.e., the plain polyline would be all what controls the curve.

When I choose to make the curve progressively, the problem is that I cannot adjust earlier points without going to the edit mode. -mb1, shift+mb1, ctrl+mb1 if near an earlier point, adjust the earlier point
-Pointer pixmap indicates when an earlier point is near enough for adjustment
-New point would appear at button release (so that curvature is not adjusted accidentally)

Regards, Juhana

Simon Budig
2004-02-02 22:14:15 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Path tool problems

Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia@nic.funet.fi) wrote:

Has anyone else found the path tool hard to use?

Yes, when you are talking about the path tool in Gimp 1.2.

IMHO, the usability is very low there. If I choose to make first a polyline and then adjust the curve, the curve type seems to be unsuitable. The curve goes easily to serpent. If I choose to make the curve progressively, I have to switch between the new point and edit mode -- and still the curve is hard to control.

This sounds as if you are talking about Gimp 1.2 indeed.

Please try Gimp 2.0pre2 or Gimp CVS. The Path tool has been rewritten completely there. I think I adressed most of your points already.

Bye, Simon