RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Windows suggestion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

002f01c3e5eb$62884980$6401a... 07 Oct 20:22
  Windows suggestion Tor Lillqvist 29 Jan 00:10
   Windows suggestion Sven Neumann 29 Jan 01:19
    Windows suggestion Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 29 Jan 14:30
010601c3e2bb$5bd6a060$6401a... 07 Oct 20:22
16408.10759.343000.868411@g... 07 Oct 20:22
Tor Lillqvist
2004-01-29 00:10:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Windows suggestion

codemastr writes:
> Well the people in #gimp were telling me in Linux that's called a "sticky" > window.

If so, they probably misunderstood you (or I did). A "sticky" window is (as I understand it) a window that is always on top of all other windows, and stays "sticked" at the same place even if you switch virtual desktops. You can instruct some window managers to treat certain windows (based on the window name) as sticky.

I don't think this was what you had in mind, was it?

I think what you meant was that one could tell the GIMP toolbox (and whatever windows are docked below it) to place itself at some edge of the sceen (and maximize its height or width), and then if one would maximize a GIMP image window it would only expand just enough not to cover the toolbox. This might be doable cross-platform in GTK, using so-called window hints. Or some other way.

--tml

Sven Neumann
2004-01-29 01:19:14 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Windows suggestion

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

I think what you meant was that one could tell the GIMP toolbox (and whatever windows are docked below it) to place itself at some edge of the sceen (and maximize its height or width), and then if one would maximize a GIMP image window it would only expand just enough not to cover the toolbox. This might be doable cross-platform in GTK, using so-called window hints. Or some other way.

It would certainly be worthwhile to improve the function that determines the initial size of a GIMP image window. This function could take into account the GIMP dockables and other image windows and check if there's dominant empty space between them. If that's the case, the image window could be sized so that it fits into this space. With some luck, the window manager will even put it there ;) This same algorithm could be made available in the View menu. It would expand an image window as much as possible w/o overlapping other GIMP windows.

Most of the information necessary to implement such a heuristic could be taken from the existing session handling code. I don't know however if there's a portable way to request information about panels or other non-GIMP windows that should be taken into account.

Sven

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2004-01-29 14:30:25 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Windows suggestion

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:19:14AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

check if there's dominant empty space between them. If that's the case, the image window could be sized so that it fits into this space.

I am not sure wether this is possible, as you only know the size of a window after it has been mapped, because of the decorations (I might err, but trying to do this portably smells like a nightmare :)