RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The GNU Image Manipulation Program

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The GNU Image Manipulation Program Dave Neary 28 Jan 16:00
  The GNU Image Manipulation Program Dave Neary 28 Jan 16:19
   The GNU Image Manipulation Program Nathan Carl Summers 28 Jan 19:03
Dave Neary
2004-01-28 16:00:25 UTC (about 20 years ago)

http://www.gimp.org

The GIMP project has been one of the headline Linux applications for over 5 years, since before the release of version 1.0 in 1998. It attained that project entirely through the work of volunteers, and apart from a short period around 1999/2000, has never had corporate financing to help its development.

In that time, it has continued to advance, and with the upcoming release of version 2.0, it should concrete its position as one of the major free applications.

An Open Source Award, aside from recognising the pedigree of the GIMP project, and the work of a large number of people over several years, would help the project move forward to fulfill its vision of a free, flexible and extensible image manipulation framework. One of the things which have slowed this progression are the costs associated with meeting up, and if the project were to win an award, the money would be spent on partly financing travel expenses for GIMP developers to a GIMP conference in June.

Because of its continued excellence and longstanding presence as a key free program, I think that the GIMP deserves an OSA.

Regards, Dave Neary.

Dave Neary
2004-01-28 16:19:35 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi all,

Dave Neary wrote:
> Because of its continued excellence and longstanding presence as a key > free program, I think that the GIMP deserves an OSA.

I CCed the list with this just to let people know that I'd nominated the GIMP for an OSA - awards are of $500, $1,500 or $10,000, and would help a lot towards covering travel costs for next June.

I have also sent a mail to the OSI requesting contacts and fundraising advice. Myself and Daniel Rogers have been talking recently about how we should approach fundraising for GUADEC, and Daniel has had a number of very good ideas. Over the next few days, we (actually, Daniel's done most of the work) will put together a plan of attack and mail it to the list, looking for volunteers to help.

Hopefully by the time 2.0 comes out we will be ready to go full bore into a fundraising drive which will get us enough money to pay for the conference.

Apologies for jumping the gun, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes doing this.

Cheers,
Dave.

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-01-28 19:03:47 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi all,

Dave Neary wrote:
> Because of its continued excellence and longstanding presence as a key > free program, I think that the GIMP deserves an OSA.

Apologies for jumping the gun, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes doing this.

I personally would never be upset with anyone trying to obtain money for gimp, as long as it is done legally. :)

Rockwalrus