RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

File Selection Creating Thumbnails hangs at 255 images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

File Selection Creating Thumbnails hangs at 255 images Jeff Trefftzs 23 Jan 20:21
  File Selection Creating Thumbnails hangs at 255 images Sven Neumann 25 Jan 12:50
  File Selection Creating Thumbnails hangs at 255 images David Neary 25 Jan 20:03
Jeff Trefftzs
2004-01-23 20:21:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Gimp-2.0pre2: I had a directory with 906 images in it but no up-to-date thumbnails, so I selected all (Ctl-A) in the Files list and clicked on the thumbnail pane to create the thumbs. It began working away, but stalled at image 255 or 906. I continued to hear a lot of disk activity, but no additional updates to the progress, and it locked my system up so that it no longer responded to mouse events, keyboard events, or even Ctl-Alt-Del. I had to (horrors!) hit the reset button to force a reboot :(. From the magic number (255), this looks to me like a bug in the thumbnail creation code -- possibly an artificial limit that's getting exceeded without warning.

Is this known, or should I hit bugzilla?

TIA,

Sven Neumann
2004-01-25 12:50:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

Gimp-2.0pre2: I had a directory with 906 images in it but no up-to-date thumbnails, so I selected all (Ctl-A) in the Files list and clicked on the thumbnail pane to create the thumbs. It began working away, but stalled at image 255 or 906. I continued to hear a lot of disk activity, but no additional updates to the progress, and it locked my system up so that it no longer responded to mouse events, keyboard events, or even Ctl-Alt-Del. I had to (horrors!) hit the reset button to force a reboot :(. From the magic number (255), this looks to me like a bug in the thumbnail creation code -- possibly an artificial limit that's getting exceeded without warning.

There is certainly no such limit in the thumbnail creation code and I can not reproduce your problem. Since obviously your X server got stuck or the kernel oopsed this is not likely to be a GIMP problem. If however it is reproducable, you can of course file a bug report about it.

Sven

David Neary
2004-01-25 20:03:59 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

From the magic number (255), this looks to me like a bug in the thumbnail creation code -- possibly an artificial limit that's getting exceeded without warning.

It doesn't ring any bells, and I think it would...

Bugzilla knows, in any case, and is the best place to look :)

Could you add the bug, I don't think it's been reported yet?

Thanks, Dave.