RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1 Olivier Lecarme 21 Aug 14:26
  installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1 Sven Neumann 21 Aug 14:47
   installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1 Olivier Lecarme 21 Aug 15:44
    installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1 Sven Neumann 21 Aug 16:36
     installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1 Olivier Lecarme 21 Aug 17:13
      installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha computer with OSF1 Tim Mooney 21 Aug 17:26
Olivier Lecarme
2002-08-21 14:26:10 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I'm trying to do what the subject explains. I already installed successfully Gimp-1.2.3. In order to prevent conflicts within incompatible versions of glib and gtk+, they are installed in distinct hierarchies.

"configure --disable-print" works correctly.

When compiling, I get the following error in plug-ins/sel2path and plug-ins/common: the loader does not find the entry point "abort". In order to terminate the compilation, I make the following change in the Makefile of both these directories: add "/usr/lib/libc.a" in front of the definition of GTK_LIBS.

The compilation then terminates, as well as the "make install".

When I call "gimp --verbose", I get the flash image, and after a while, here is what happens:

parsing "/usr/local/etc/gimp/1.3/gimprc" parsing "/net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/gimprc" Adding theme 'Default' (/usr/local/share/gimp/1.3/themes/Default) Parsing '/usr/local/share/gimp/1.3/themes/Default/gtkrc' Parsing '/net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/gtkrc' loading module: '/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/modules/libcolorsel_triangle.so' loading module: '/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/modules/libcdisplay_gamma.so' loading module: '/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/modules/libcdisplay_highcontrast.so'

** (gimp-1.3:6106): WARNING **: Could not find XftConfig file cannot open file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig" querying plug-in: "/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/plug-ins/tool-safe-mode" writing "/net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/pluginrc" initializing plug-in: "/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/plug-ins/tool-safe-mode" gimp-1.3: tool-safe-mode init called gimp-1.3: tool_plug_in_path: /net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/tool-plug-ins:/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/tool-plug-ins gimp-1.3: tool-safe-mode init done
Starting extensions: extension_script_fu gimp-1.3: fatal error: Segmentation fault gimp-1.3 (pid:6106): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or [P]roceed: s #0 0x30005812a64 in g_on_error_stack_trace (prg_name=0x11ffffbe8 "gimp-1.3") #1 0x300058128f8 in g_on_error_query (prg_name=0x11ffffbe8 "gimp-1.3") #2 0x120053e6c in gimp_terminate () #3 0x120053cfc in gimp_fatal_error ()
Then the process enters and endless loop, which I terminate with a C-c:

gimp-1.3: terminated: Interrupt /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/plug-ins/script-fu terminated: Interrupt

(script-fu:6120): LibGimp-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_flush(): error: Broken pipe

I know that this version is unstable, but probably I get more problems than expected. What could I try?

Sven Neumann
2002-08-21 14:47:04 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

"Olivier Lecarme" writes:

I'm trying to do what the subject explains. I already installed successfully Gimp-1.2.3. In order to prevent conflicts within incompatible versions of glib and gtk+, they are installed in distinct hierarchies.

that's not necessary since glib/gtk+-1.2 happily coexist with glib/gtk+-2.0 in the same prefix (provided that your 1.2 versions aren't overly outdated).

"configure --disable-print" works correctly.

When compiling, I get the following error in plug-ins/sel2path and plug-ins/common: the loader does not find the entry point "abort". In order to terminate the compilation, I make the following change in the Makefile of both these directories: add "/usr/lib/libc.a" in front of the definition of GTK_LIBS.

abort? I've never heard about that problem before, seems to be OSF1 specific.

The compilation then terminates, as well as the "make install".

When I call "gimp --verbose", I get the flash image, and after a while, here is what happens:

parsing "/usr/local/etc/gimp/1.3/gimprc" parsing "/net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/gimprc" Adding theme 'Default' (/usr/local/share/gimp/1.3/themes/Default) Parsing '/usr/local/share/gimp/1.3/themes/Default/gtkrc' Parsing '/net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/gtkrc' loading module: '/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/modules/libcolorsel_triangle.so' loading module: '/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/modules/libcdisplay_gamma.so' loading module: '/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/modules/libcdisplay_highcontrast.so'

** (gimp-1.3:6106): WARNING **: Could not find XftConfig file cannot open file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig"

you should install a suitable XftConfig file to make the text tool happy. On the other hand since the text tool is almost unuseable it's not that important...

querying plug-in: "/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/plug-ins/tool-safe-mode" writing "/net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/pluginrc" initializing plug-in: "/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/plug-ins/tool-safe-mode" gimp-1.3: tool-safe-mode init called gimp-1.3: tool_plug_in_path: /net2/ciceron2/ol/.gimp-1.3/tool-plug-ins:/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/tool-plug-ins gimp-1.3: tool-safe-mode init done
Starting extensions: extension_script_fu gimp-1.3: fatal error: Segmentation fault gimp-1.3 (pid:6106): [E]xit, [H]alt, show [S]tack trace or [P]roceed: s #0 0x30005812a64 in g_on_error_stack_trace (prg_name=0x11ffffbe8 "gimp-1.3") #1 0x300058128f8 in g_on_error_query (prg_name=0x11ffffbe8 "gimp-1.3") #2 0x120053e6c in gimp_terminate () #3 0x120053cfc in gimp_fatal_error ()
Then the process enters and endless loop, which I terminate with a C-c:

gimp-1.3: terminated: Interrupt /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.3/plug-ins/script-fu terminated: Interrupt

(script-fu:6120): LibGimp-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_flush(): error: Broken pipe

I know that this version is unstable, but probably I get more problems than expected. What could I try?

I'd suggest you temporarily move the plug-ins directory away and check if gimp works w/o any plug-ins. If that works you could reinstall some simpler plug-ins and test them. Perhaps only script-fu is broken for you.

Salut, Sven

Olivier Lecarme
2002-08-21 15:44:40 UTC (over 21 years ago)

that's not necessary since glib/gtk+-1.2 happily coexist with glib/gtk+-2.0 in the same prefix (provided that your 1.2 versions aren't overly outdated).

I did it after having encountered enormous problems when trying to install several Gnome 2 modules.

Probably, but I don't understand it. Maybe this comes from one specificity of OSF1, i.e. libc.so is in /usr/shlib, not in /usr/lib. The "abort" entry point is mentioned in libglib-2.0.so. Maybe the fix should occur in the glib configuration ?

** (gimp-1.3:6106): WARNING **: Could not find XftConfig file cannot open file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig"

you should install a suitable XftConfig file to make the text tool happy. On the other hand since the text tool is almost unuseable it's not that important...

I must confess I don't even know what XftConfig is...

I'd suggest you temporarily move the plug-ins directory away and check if gimp works w/o any plug-ins. If that works you could reinstall some simpler plug-ins and test them. Perhaps only script-fu is broken for you.

I did exactly that. Finally, only script-fu seems to be broken. I get some unaligned accesses, maybe because the Alpha is a true 64-bit processor.

I can make some specific tests for this configuration, if this seems interesting. Anyway, many thanks for your help!

Sven Neumann
2002-08-21 16:36:25 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

"Olivier Lecarme" writes:

Probably, but I don't understand it. Maybe this comes from one specificity of OSF1, i.e. libc.so is in /usr/shlib, not in /usr/lib. The "abort" entry point is mentioned in libglib-2.0.so. Maybe the fix should occur in the glib configuration ?

you should try to run the tests that come with the glib-2.0 tarball. If you get problems there you should definitely report them using bugzilla.gnome.org against the glib module.

the font configuration for Xft, the next-generation X font rendering. The text tool uses it since PangoFT2 shares the configuration file with the Xft backend. This means you need to configure Xft even though your X server doesn't have support for it.

I did exactly that. Finally, only script-fu seems to be broken. I get some unaligned accesses, maybe because the Alpha is a true 64-bit processor.

we definitely need to fix this problem. Could you please file a bug-report for it at bugs.gimp.org?

Salut, Sven

Olivier Lecarme
2002-08-21 17:13:48 UTC (over 21 years ago)

you should try to run the tests that come with the glib-2.0 tarball. If you get problems there you should definitely report them using bugzilla.gnome.org against the glib module.

In the tests directory of glib, "make check-TESTS" immediately fails because of the same problem:

zenon(~/src/Gnome2-rc1/Install/glib-2.0.6/tests) : make check-TESTS mer 21 /bin/ksh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -o array-test array-test.o ../glib/libglib-2.0.la -liconv -lintl -liconv gcc -g -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -o .libs/array-test array-test.o ../glib/.libs/libglib-2.0.so -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lc /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib creating array-test
/bin/ksh ../libtool --mode=link c++ -g -O2 -o cxx-test cxx-test.o ../glib/libglib-2.0.la -liconv -lintl -liconv c++ -g -O2 -o .libs/cxx-test cxx-test.o ../glib/.libs/libglib-2.0.so -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lc /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/ld:
Unresolved:
abort
free
malloc
strcmp
strlen
bcopy
bzero
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [cxx-test] Error 1
zsh: 6768 exit 2 make check-TESTS

I will report the problem as soon as bugzilla.gnome.org accepts to answer me.

the font configuration for Xft, the next-generation X font rendering. The text tool uses it since PangoFT2 shares the configuration file with the Xft backend. This means you need to configure Xft even though your X server doesn't have support for it.

I will try this.

we definitely need to fix this problem. Could you please file a bug-report for it at bugs.gimp.org?

Same remark as before. The problem seems to occur always at the same place, for example when I update the preview of an image, or when I select an image whose preview has already been selected, or when I open an image.

Tim Mooney
2002-08-21 17:26:30 UTC (over 21 years ago)

In regard to: Re: [Gimp-developer] installing Gimp-1.3.8 on a DEC Alpha...:

In the tests directory of glib, "make check-TESTS" immediately fails because of the same problem:

zenon(~/src/Gnome2-rc1/Install/glib-2.0.6/tests) : make check-TESTS mer 21 /bin/ksh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -o array-test array-test.o ../glib/libglib-2.0.la -liconv -lintl -liconv gcc -g -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -o .libs/array-test array-test.o ../glib/.libs/libglib-2.0.so -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lc /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib creating array-test
/bin/ksh ../libtool --mode=link c++ -g -O2 -o cxx-test cxx-test.o ../glib/libglib-2.0.la -liconv -lintl -liconv c++ -g -O2 -o .libs/cxx-test cxx-test.o ../glib/.libs/libglib-2.0.so -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libintl.so -lc /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/ld:
Unresolved:
abort
free
malloc
strcmp
strlen
bcopy
bzero
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

That's likely because `-lc' is listed before your locally-installed libiconv, and libiconv certainly requires symbols from libc. On most systems, the order in which you list libraries on the link line is important.

All of the symbols you mention are in the shared C library, so they will normally get linked in automatically. One reason why that might not happen is if you *explicitly* list `-lc' on the link line, and it's too early in the line, as is the case above.

I would guess the problem is either with your gettext installation or your libiconv installation. Either gettext's `libintl.la' shouldn't be specifying `-lc', or both `libintl.la' and `libiconv.la' should be.

Tim