RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

windows icon plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

windows icon plugin Christian Kreibich 12 May 19:26
Christian Kreibich
2002-05-12 19:26:12 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

windows icon plugin

Dear Gimpies,

I recently encountered the need to edit Windows icons and wanted to use the Gimp as usual, when I noticed that apparently Windows icons aren't supported by default (that's with 1.2.2, but a look at 1.2.3's sources suggests the same). A search one the web brought up half-finished plugins at best.

So here's my try, the plugin supports both loading and saving of multiple icons in a file at 2/4/8/32 bpp. You can choose each icon's own color depth (and thus the color map that's created for it) in a preview dialog when saving the icon. I've included a little help page that explains things a bit. I've tested it quite a bit and checked that the generated files do in fact work with icon editors in windows, but of course I may have missed things. The plugin source is available at

http://www.whoop.org/downloads/gimp-winicon-plugin-0.1.0.tar.gz

I haven't uploaded it to the plugin registry yet because I thought I'd wait for your feedback first (I'm fairly new to libgimp). Assuming you like it, is it okay to announce it on gimp-announce or is posting to that list not open to the public?

Cheers, keep it up, Christian.