RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Rapha 23 Apr 10:47
  What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Austin Donnelly 23 Apr 11:29
   What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Sven Neumann 23 Apr 11:46
    What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Austin Donnelly 23 Apr 11:51
   What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Tuomas Kuosmanen 24 Apr 12:06
    What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 24 Apr 14:20
Rapha
2002-04-23 10:47:35 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

The sub-optimal behavior of the zoom shortcuts has been mentioned recently. Zooming in on the center of the window is not always the best thing to do. This has also been reported by jwz in Bugzilla (his original report was related to the selections, but this has been extended since then): http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79384

Currently, two solutions have been proposed: - Try to do what the user means: if there is a selection in the window, zoom in on that selection. If only a part of the image is visible and the viewport is near the edge of the image (one of the scrollbars is at 0 or maximum), then stay near that edge after zooming in. - Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then zoom in on that point. If not, then zoom in on the center of the window. Please have a look at the bug report for a better description of these solutions.

We can only implement one of these solutions. Which one do you think is the best, from a usability point of view?

-Raphaël

Austin Donnelly
2002-04-23 11:29:10 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On Tuesday, 23 Apr 2002, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

- Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then zoom in on that point. If not, then zoom in on the center of the window.

This has pissed me off for some time too. All Apple Mac applications I know of zoom centred on the current pointer location. Expert users can use this to zoom+scroll quite naturally, and novice users just think it's zooming centred on the image but not quite right.

If the mouse isn't in the image window, then doing a normal "zoom centred" is probably best.

Trying to guess that the selection is up to is a recipe for disaster, as noted in the many special cases in the bug report.

I can't remember the Mac behaviour on zoom out. I don't suppose it matters too much there, though.

Austin

Sven Neumann
2002-04-23 11:46:00 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi,

Austin Donnelly writes:

- Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then zoom in on that point. If not, then zoom in on the center of the window.

This has pissed me off for some time too. All Apple Mac applications I know of zoom centred on the current pointer location. Expert users can use this to zoom+scroll quite naturally, and novice users just think it's zooming centred on the image but not quite right.

If the mouse isn't in the image window, then doing a normal "zoom centred" is probably best.

Trying to guess that the selection is up to is a recipe for disaster, as noted in the many special cases in the bug report.

ack. Who writes the patch?

Salut, Sven

Austin Donnelly
2002-04-23 11:51:48 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On , 23 Apr 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

ack. Who writes the patch?

Sorry, not me - lack of time :(

Austin

Tuomas Kuosmanen
2002-04-24 12:06:29 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 12:29, Austin Donnelly wrote: On Tuesday, 23 Apr 2002, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> - Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse > pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then > zoom in on that point. If not, then zoom in on the center of the window.

For the record, I would probably like "zoom on pointer" since then you can avoid the panning-after-zooming to find the place of the image. And that is how the zoom tool works too, doesnt it already zoom centered on where you click? I mean, I dont know since I never use it, being so used to the shortcuts.

This pretty much implies "click to focus" :-) Yea, then centered on the current viewport (we could be partially zoomed in already)
I can't remember the Mac behaviour on zoom out. I don't suppose it matters too much there, though.

Btw, I looked at Illustrator 9, it zooms always centered, no matter where your mouse is. Both for zoom in and zoom out (when you use the keyboard shortcuts that is, using the zoom tool naturally zooms centered on where you click like we do too)

But illustrator has a shortcut to the zoom tool, so I never use the Cmd-+ to zoom in; I press and hold Cmd-space so Illustrator temporarily switches to zoom-in tool, and I click. Therefore I always do "click to zoom" and it centers around where I clicked. Zoom out happens when you hold down Cmd-Alt-Space - those are pretty handy once you get used to them. Much like our "Ctrl to pick color" -shortcut.

But it is not that big of a deal for me. Maybe it might be a good thing to zoom centered on the pointer. I just zoom in all the way and use the navi popup (which is *great* by the way) to find the right spot.

Tuomas

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-04-24 14:20:18 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

tigert@ximian.com (2002-04-24 at 1306.29 +0300):

For the record, I would probably like "zoom on pointer" since then you can avoid the panning-after-zooming to find the place of the image. And

Yes, it would be great, place where you want, hit key and zoom there. Saves the switch to zoom tool and back.

that is how the zoom tool works too, doesnt it already zoom centered on where you click? I mean, I dont know since I never use it, being so used to the shortcuts.

It does, where you click becomes the centre of the window.

I think too that zoom should track mouse, or if mouse is out (sloppy focus, ie, or over widgets around image) zoom based in centre.

GSR