RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Size entry widgets..

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Size entry widgets.. Tuomas Kuosmanen 27 Mar 09:16
  Size entry widgets.. Nathan C Summers 27 Mar 10:08
   Size entry widgets.. Tuomas Kuosmanen 27 Mar 10:31
  Size entry widgets.. Øyvind Kolås 27 Mar 16:26
   Size entry widgets.. Austin Donnelly 04 Apr 12:27
Tuomas Kuosmanen
2002-03-27 09:16:04 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Size entry widgets..

Howdy.

I have been thinking about this thing for a while already.. pretty often I have a situation like this:

* I will need to design a flyer or something, and try to fit it on a common papersize so it can be photocopied/color-lasered easily
* But the size is too large, so I rather design a "cut A4 in three" (or US Letter depending where it will be printed) * A4 is 209.9028mm x 297.0389mm * My design would then be 209.9028mm x (297.0389mm / 3) which makes a nice flyer shape
* It would be very very handy if I could type that into the New Image entry; Height: [ 297/3 ] millimeters and Gimp would do the division for me and round it to the nearest pixel. * It would allow the very basic math like add, subtract, multiply and divide. This would be very useful for situations like the above.
* Yosh said it would be doable, not impossible. And told me to post to the list instead of dreaming of it on IRC :-)

Tuomas

Nathan C Summers
2002-03-27 10:08:36 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Size entry widgets..

On 27 Mar 2002, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

* Yosh said it would be doable, not impossible. And told me to post to the list instead of dreaming of it on IRC :-)

Sounds like a good idea. Can you file it as a wishlist bugzilla as well?

Rockwalrus

Tuomas Kuosmanen
2002-03-27 10:31:15 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Size entry widgets..

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 11:08, Nathan C Summers wrote: On 27 Mar 2002, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> * Yosh said it would be doable, not impossible. And told me to > post to the list instead of dreaming of it on IRC :-)
Sounds like a good idea. Can you file it as a wishlist bugzilla as well?
"Bug 76616 posted"

Tig

Øyvind Kolås
2002-03-27 16:26:41 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Size entry widgets..

* Tuomas Kuosmanen [020327 16:10]:

Howdy.

I have been thinking about this thing for a while already.. pretty often I have a situation like this:

* I will need to design a flyer or something, and try to fit it on a common papersize so it can be photocopied/color-lasered easily
* But the size is too large, so I rather design a "cut A4 in three" (or US Letter depending where it will be printed) * A4 is 209.9028mm x 297.0389mm * My design would then be 209.9028mm x (297.0389mm / 3) which makes a nice flyer shape
* It would be very very handy if I could type that into the New Image entry; Height: [ 297/3 ] millimeters and Gimp would do the division for me and round it to the nearest pixel. * It would allow the very basic math like add, subtract, multiply and divide. This would be very useful for situations like the above.

I have been doing some posters/flyers as well,. some of my experiences are:

* Most printers won't fill the whole A4 area. (thus being able to 'register' some default sizes as well could be an idea)
* My workflow for posters that will be printed on a laser printer is: - make a new grayscale image with the same size ratio as A4/A3 - fullfil the design
- scale the image up to the full res of the 'printable area' - manually newsprintifying, dithering etc. the image down to 1bit

Some presets that gimp should include: papersizes: legal, a*, printable( legal, a.. ) video: pal, ntsc, 1024x768 ...
dias: (I had to make a 35mm diases for print) misc: icon sizes, default web-banner sizes custom: users own

-pippin

Austin Donnelly
2002-04-04 12:27:54 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Size entry widgets..

On Wednesday, 27 Mar 2002, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

* My workflow for posters that will be printed on a laser printer is: - make a new grayscale image with the same size ratio as A4/A3 - fullfil the design
- scale the image up to the full res of the 'printable area' - manually newsprintifying, dithering etc. the image down to 1bit

Warning: the newsprint plugin does nothing to avoid moire artefacts other than offer an antialias option. It doesn't use supercells to reduce rounding errors. Therefore, if you're using it to produce 1-bit output (and hence can't use antialiasing) then you should expect poor quality output. The newsprint plugin is suitable for producing (eg) silk-screens for t-shirt designs, or special effects, but not for printed flyers, in my opinion.

Austin