RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Revising "Hacking:Building/Windows" page

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2018-10-31 16:11:33 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

I have just gone through a round of figuring out how to build GIMP 2.10 on Windows. The page "Hacking: Building/Windows"

https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Building/Windows

is no longer correct. I have pretty carefully installed it on my machine, to the extent of deleting the msys2/mingw environment, re-installing, and building GIMP to operational .exe file.

Is there a protocol to revise the page? I'd like to do so, and also improve the instructions. For instance, if the instructions given are followed, the user ends up with a lot of files and directories in c:\users\yourcomputer, which is not ideal. Better to build and work with a development location which occupies less prime real estate.

2018-10-31 23:30:10 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Greetings!

I would be very interested in an updated guide. It is very simple and seems to work perfectly for the most part, but at the very end, I get the following:

juef@hp MINGW64 ~/gimp # make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. juef@hp MINGW64 ~/gimp
# make install
make: Nothing to be done for 'install'.

My goal is simply to re-compile a plugin I had written for an older version of GIMP. I have successfully (and insanely easily) done it on Linux, but I'd love a Windows version of the plugin too.

Thank you for your help on this great project, it is much appreciated!

2018-11-01 00:08:03 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Greetings!

I would be very interested in an updated guide. It is very simple and seems to work perfectly for the most part, but at the very end, I get the following:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. juef@hp MINGW64 ~/gimp
# make install

My goal is simply to re-compile a plugin I had written for an older version of GIMP. I have successfully (and insanely easily) done it on Linux, but I'd love a Windows version of the plugin too.

Please look carefully at the results of the ./autogen.sh command. I imagine that you have a missing dependency.

Eeeeeek!! Missing dependency: whatever

I will package up my working process and put it here tomorrow.

2018-11-01 00:08:56 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Greetings!

# make install

I forgot to ask: What version of GIMP are you compiling?

2018-11-01 00:16:51 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

I forgot to ask: What version of GIMP are you compiling?

I'm using this guide, so I'm guessing 2.10.2: https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Building/Windows#Building_GIMP_natively_under_Windows_using_MSYS2

Here's my output from autogen:

Francaryse@hp MINGW64 ~/gimp # ./autogen.sh --prefix=$PREFIX --disable-python --disable-gtk-doc --with-gimpdir=GIMP/git-master

I am testing that you have the tools required to build the GNU Image Manipulation Program from git. This test is not foolproof, so if anything goes wrong, see the file HACKING for more information...

Looks like Win32, you will need libtool 2.2 or newer.

checking for libtool >= 2.2 ... yes (version 2.4.6) skipping test for gtkdocize
checking for autoconf >= 2.54 ... yes (version 2.69) checking for automake >= 1.13.0 ... yes (version 1.13.4) checking for intltool >= 0.40.1 ... yes (version 0.51.0) checking for xsltproc ... yes

I am going to run ./configure with the following arguments:

--prefix=/home/Francaryse/prefix --disable-python --disable-gtk-doc --with-gimpdir=GIMP/git-master

WARNING: aclocal's directory is /usr/share/aclocal, but... no file /usr/share/aclocal/glib-2.0.m4 You may see fatal macro warnings below. If these files are installed in /some/dir, set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS environment variable to "-I /some/dir" or install /usr/share/aclocal/glib-2.0.m4.

WARNING: aclocal's directory is /usr/share/aclocal, but... no file /usr/share/aclocal/glib-gettext.m4 You may see fatal macro warnings below. If these files are installed in /some/dir, set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS environment variable to "-I /some/dir" or install /usr/share/aclocal/glib-gettext.m4.

WARNING: aclocal's directory is /usr/share/aclocal, but... no file /usr/share/aclocal/gtk-2.0.m4 You may see fatal macro warnings below. If these files are installed in /some/dir, set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS environment variable to "-I /some/dir" or install /usr/share/aclocal/gtk-2.0.m4.

configure.ac:804: warning: macro 'AM_PATH_GTK_3_0' not found in library libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in '.'. libtoolize: linking file './ltmain.sh' libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS, 'm4macros'. libtoolize: linking file 'm4macros/libtool.m4' libtoolize: linking file 'm4macros/ltoptions.m4' libtoolize: linking file 'm4macros/ltsugar.m4' libtoolize: linking file 'm4macros/ltversion.m4' libtoolize: linking file 'm4macros/lt~obsolete.m4' WARNING: You have disabled gtk-doc.
As a result, you will not be able to generate the API documentation and 'make dist' will not work.

configure.ac:257: installing './compile' configure.ac:99: installing './missing' app-tools/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp' configure.ac:820: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK_3_0 If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation.

2018-11-01 01:04:00 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

You're in luck. I encountered this error early in my process. You need to install gtk3, which is installed just like gtk2, in the mingw documentation. However, I warn you not to just go and do this. Wait for a day, and I will have the full presentation set up. I would bet that you encounter each of the 6-8 dependency issues that I have solved.

I'll have it here tomorrow.

2018-11-01 01:08:07 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Alright, will do. Thank you!

2018-11-01 19:07:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Alright, will do. Thank you!

I have written a guide to building GIMP using msys2/mingw tools. I will attach a document instr-windows-msys2.txt with the instructions

2018-11-02 22:43:47 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Thank you for your work, Paul!

I did manage to compile GIMP thanks to this, with only a slight modification: I had to change SRC_DIR=$HOME/code/gimpdefault/build to SRC_DIR=$HOME/code/gimpdefault/intall. The rest worked just fine! If I may, I would suggest skipping (if possible?) the curpath.txt instructions, or maybe have them be like the bash_profile ones: I felt like it was more work than it should have been, but maybe it's just me.

Also, I initially wanted to compile GIMP on Windows for gimptool to compile a plugin I had written 8 years ago, but I ultimately failed: functions were depecrated, some GTK properties I used don't exist anymore, and despite trying to fix those, I couldn't get the resulting .exe to work with the latest GIMP versions. Oh well! I'll put the source on GitHub and hope someone will fix it eventually :)

Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated!

2018-11-02 23:00:58 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

And done! In case someone's curious about the plugin:

https://github.com/juef17/GIMP-IFS-plugin