RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

small suggestion for consistency

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

small suggestion for consistency Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list 25 Oct 06:13
  small suggestion for consistency Simon Budig 25 Oct 09:37
   small suggestion for consistency Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list 25 Oct 13:17
    small suggestion for consistency Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list 25 Oct 13:22
    small suggestion for consistency Simon Budig 25 Oct 14:00
     small suggestion for consistency Pat David via gimp-developer-list 25 Oct 20:31
Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list
2018-10-25 06:13:22 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hello devs,
I'm here to suggest a small change in the ui for consistency. I haven't open a bug since I want you to tell me if it is worth before committing the BR.

The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other menus like colors, tools, filters.

TIA

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

Simon Budig
2018-10-25 09:37:12 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list (gimp-developer-list@gnome.org) wrote:

The menu layer should named layers for consistency with the other menus like colors, tools, filters.

Would you suggest to change "Image" to "Images" as well?

Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with actions affecting just one layer (the current one).

"Filters" is a collection of multiple filters, "Tools" is a collection of multiple tools, "Colors" deals with multiple colors in the image.

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
2018-10-25 13:17:20 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37:12AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more levels at a time (see below).

Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with actions affecting just one layer (the current one).

Level groups are made not of just one level. Same as for a stack of levels.

"Filters" is a collection of multiple filters,

right

"Tools" is a collection of multiple tools,

right

"Colors" deals with multiple colors in the image.

right

and levels deals with multiple levels in the image, in groups and in a stack.

... but this is just an observation and a suggestion ...

TIA

--

Marco Ciampa

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

2018-10-25 13:22:11 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:17:20PM +0200, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list wrote:

No. Image deal with _one_ image at a time. Level deal with one or more levels at a time (see below).

sorry s/level/layer/g

Marco Ciampa

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271
 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------
Simon Budig
2018-10-25 14:00:28 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi Marco.

Layer groups are made not of just one layer. Same as for a stack of layers.

[...]

and layers deals with multiple layers in the image, in groups and in a stack.

I might be missing something obvious, but when looking at the Layer-Menu I can see one menu entry that affects all layers simultaneously: Layer->Stack->Reverse Layer order.

All other entries are really quite specific to the currently selected layer: either by moving it to some other position in the stack, selecting a layer in a specific relation to the current layer, Change the current layer size etc...

Granted, some of these implicitely affect the other layers in the stack, but there always is the one designated layer that the operation is defined by.

True, if the current layer is a layer group, these operations work on a set of sub-layers, but that is more an effect of having currently selected a layer group - the operations still work on the currently selected item in the layer stack (and its child items).

It feels a little bit like bike shedding, but I still believe that "Layer" is correct.

Bye,
Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Pat David via gimp-developer-list
2018-10-25 20:31:01 UTC (over 5 years ago)

I tend to agree with Simon that “Layer” seems appropriate for this usage. On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Simon Budig wrote:

Hi Marco.

Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list (gimp-developer-list@gnome.org)

wrote:

Both feels wrong to me, since the "Layer" menu mostly deals with

actions

affecting just one layer (the current one).

Layer groups are made not of just one layer. Same as for a stack of layers.

[...]

and layers deals with multiple layers in the image, in groups and in a

stack.

I might be missing something obvious, but when looking at the Layer-Menu I can see one menu entry that affects all layers simultaneously: Layer->Stack->Reverse Layer order.

All other entries are really quite specific to the currently selected layer: either by moving it to some other position in the stack, selecting a layer in a specific relation to the current layer, Change the current layer size etc...

Granted, some of these implicitely affect the other layers in the stack, but there always is the one designated layer that the operation is defined by.

True, if the current layer is a layer group, these operations work on a set of sub-layers, but that is more an effect of having currently selected a layer group - the operations still work on the currently selected item in the layer stack (and its child items).

It feels a little bit like bike shedding, but I still believe that "Layer" is correct.

Bye,
Simon
--
simon@budig.de http://simon.budig.de/ _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC