RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Line across new files GIMP 2.10.4

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Line across new files GIMP 2.10.4 Bill Gill via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 15:05
  Line across new files GIMP 2.10.4 Kasim Ahmic via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 15:51
  Line across new files GIMP 2.10.4 Berengar Lehr via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 18:18
   Line across new files GIMP 2.10.4 Bill Gill via gimp-web-list 31 Jul 20:00
Bill Gill via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 15:05:56 UTC (over 5 years ago)

I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 on 5 JULY and initially used it to edit photos with no problems.

But if a new blank file is opened there is a one pixel horizontal line across the background white canvas. The location and orientation of the line may change if a different size canvas is selected before opening the new file.

If the background color is pink, the line is yellow. If cyan, there is no line. If black there is no line. I have not tried other colors yet.

If the eraser tool is used to try to eliminate the line, the line instead breaks into smaller segments that either appear above or below the original line and oriented either horizontally or vertically depending on direction the eraser tool is moved. The same thing happens if the pencil or brush tool are selected. The line cannot be eliminated.

I also have GIMP 2.8.22. The line does not appear when using it.

I have two screen captures. One shows a line broken after I tried to eliminate it, and the other shows a new file that opened with three lines on it. I did not add those images to this message because not sure can attach images without your prior approval.

Any suggestions what may be my problem? Thank you, Bill Gill

Kasim Ahmic via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 15:51:58 UTC (over 5 years ago)

First, please let us know what operating system and what version of said operating system you are using. As for the screenshots, please upload them to a free image sharing website such as http://imgur.com/ and link the upload here.

——
Kasim Ahmić

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018, Bill Gill via gimp-web-list < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 on 5 JULY and initially used it to edit photos with no problems.

But if a new blank file is opened there is a one pixel horizontal line across the background white canvas. The location and orientation of the line may change if a different size canvas is selected before opening the new file.

If the background color is pink, the line is yellow. If cyan, there is no line. If black there is no line. I have not tried other colors yet.

If the eraser tool is used to try to eliminate the line, the line instead breaks into smaller segments that either appear above or below the original line and oriented either horizontally or vertically depending on direction the eraser tool is moved. The same thing happens if the pencil or brush tool are selected. The line cannot be eliminated.

I have two screen captures. One shows a line broken after I tried to eliminate it, and the other shows a new file that opened with three lines on it. I did not add those images to this message because not sure can attach images without your prior approval.

Any suggestions what may be my problem? Thank you, Bill Gill _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Sent from my iPhone
Berengar Lehr via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 18:18:22 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Perhaps what you are seeing ist the grid or an orientation line for simpler adjustment of eg. layers?

Greetings p

Bill Gill via gimp-web-list schrieb am Di., 31. Juli 2018, 17:05:

Any suggestions what may be my problem? Thank you, Bill Gill _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Bill Gill via gimp-web-list
2018-07-31 20:00:04 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Thanks for your reply, Berengar,
I do not believe I am seeing any kind of grid or orientation line

To check on that idea I have done more experimenting:

1. Open new file 8.5 in x 11in., 300dpi, white background: This file opened with a single horizontal line 1 pixel wide all the way across the upper third of the canvas.

2. Used the zoom tool to zoom in and out: That sometimes made the line disappear, other times it added either a single line or two or three more lines. Sometimes the lines were horizontal, sometimes vertical, sometimes a combination of horizontal and vertical. The spacing between the lines varied: sometimes two vertical lines were close together while the horizontal lines were much more widely spaced, sometimes all the lines were widely spaced. Sometimes the lines disappeared altogether after zooming, only to have one or more appear again in different places at different levels of zoom (If zooming-in made the canvas too large to see all at once, I moved the layer around to see if line(s) were outside the viewing area on the monitor. There were not any.

3. Closed that file. Open a new file same conditions as in step 1. Then changed the background color to pink: There was a yellow horizontal line where the black line had been.

4. Used the eraser tool to try to remove the line: The line broke into segments as I said in previous email.

5. Use Edit to undo the eraser: The erased areas were restored but line stayed broken into segments.

6. Zoomed in and out on: The line appeared and disappeared, apparently randomly, as in 2. above.

7. Selected the paint brush with a fuzzy circular tip: Moving the brush onto the canvas broke the line into segments whether or not I held mouse button to draw a line. The segments could be large or small, perhaps related to the speed the brush was moving.

8. Changed to solid circular tip: Same result when moving brush or pencil.

I added a screen capture of the brush squiggles and broken line to the *imgur* folder. Bill Gill

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Berengar Lehr wrote:

Perhaps what you are seeing ist the grid or an orientation line for simpler adjustment of eg. layers?

Greetings p

Bill Gill via gimp-web-list schrieb am Di., 31. Juli 2018, 17:05:

If the eraser tool is used to try to eliminate the line, the line instead breaks into smaller segments that either appear above or below the original
line and oriented either horizontally or vertically depending on direction the eraser tool is moved. The same thing happens if the pencil or brush tool are selected. The line cannot be eliminated.

gimp-web-list@gnome.org