RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Carmelo DrRaw 28 Mar 05:51
  CA+AQtsw8O4gdd_cs0_uh3S01-q... 28 Mar 13:01
   Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Kristian Rietveld 28 Mar 12:59
   Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Carmelo DrRaw 28 Mar 13:27
    Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Kristian Rietveld 29 Mar 07:49
     Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Pat David 29 Mar 11:39
  Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Shlomi Fish 28 Mar 08:21
  Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Tobias Jakobs 28 Mar 11:05
   Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes Michal Vašut 28 Mar 11:41
Carmelo DrRaw
2018-03-28 05:51:51 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Hello everybody,

OSX is my primary platform for work and for development, and I have a fairly good experience in developing GTK applications for OSX. Therefore I can offer some help to solve bugs and do checks of GIMP on Mac. I cannot guarantee a very fast feedback all the time, but I will do my best.

There are actually two major things I can offer: * try to fix OSX-specific bugs - I can compile GIMP from sources, and I know how to run a debugger… * help you to set-up an automated packaging of OSX bundles using Travis-CI, in case you are interested. I have already set-up such mechanism for my own image editing project (PhotoFlow), and it seems to work like a charm. Dependencies are provided via homebrew. The advantage is that the packaging does not rely on any specific user, and runs on virtualised systems which increases the security for the final users.

By the way, I am already using Travis-CI to provide a GIMP AppImage that is regularly updated (every week or every time there is an important commit): https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage

Please let me know if and how I can help…

Shlomi Fish
2018-03-28 08:21:00 UTC (about 6 years ago)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 07:51:51 +0200 Carmelo DrRaw wrote:

Hello everybody,

OSX is my primary platform for work and for development, and I have a fairly good experience in developing GTK applications for OSX. Therefore I can offer some help to solve bugs and do checks of GIMP on Mac. I cannot guarantee a very fast feedback all the time, but I will do my best.

Hi Carmelo!

Thanks for your willingness to contribute. I highly appreciate it. Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS for the correct spelling of 'OS X'->'macOS'.

Regards,

Shlomi

Tobias Jakobs
2018-03-28 11:05:11 UTC (about 6 years ago)

2018-03-28 7:51 GMT+02:00 Carmelo DrRaw :

Hello everybody,

There are actually two major things I can offer: * try to fix OSX-specific bugs - I can compile GIMP from sources, and I know how to run a debugger…

Here you can find a list with all macOS bugs: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&classification=Other&list_id=299713&op_sys=Mac%20OS&order=Importance&product=GIMP&query_format=advanced

Regards, Tobias

Michal Vašut
2018-03-28 11:41:51 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Haha, warm welcome :-D

Kristian Rietveld
2018-03-28 12:59:12 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Forgot to CC the mailing list ...

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Carmelo DrRaw wrote:

There are actually two major things I can offer: * try to fix OSX-specific bugs - I can compile GIMP from sources, and I know how to run a debugger…

Solving bugs is always welcome! And also help with reproducing bugs. Regularly Mac-specific bugs are filed without clear reproduction instructions. Without knowing how to reproduce bugs it is hard to fix them ...

* help you to set-up an automated packaging of OSX bundles using Travis-CI, in case you are interested. I have already set-up such mechanism for my own image editing project (PhotoFlow), and it seems to work like a charm. Dependencies are provided via homebrew. The advantage is that the packaging does not rely on any specific user, and runs on virtualised systems which increases the security for the final users.

The GIMP DMG package cannot depend on dependencies via homebrew. The DMG image must be self contained. In the last year I have been working on a magic Python script that builds GIMP and all its dependencies from scratch (using jhbuild). Subsequently it validates the build products and then it packages them as App bundle in a DMG image. This script produces exactly the same DMG images as we have been releasing in the last few years. It works fine for 2.8 now and I was in the process of preparing all necessary commits to upstream it before I had to attend to some matters in real life. I plan to finish this work soon and then continue with the adaptations necessary to build 2.10 releases.

Now that you mention Travis-CI, I was wondering if you have access to a macOS build server? One limitation is that I currently have to use my old Mac laptop to produce these builds. Having access to a build server would greatly simplify this process. Also, with the script that has been written it should not be hard to simply run it nightly or weekly to produce regular builds.

regards,

-kris.

Carmelo DrRaw
2018-03-28 13:27:48 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Hi!

On 28 Mar 2018, at 14:58, Kristian Rietveld wrote:

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Carmelo DrRaw wrote:

Solving bugs is always welcome! And also help with reproducing bugs. Regularly Mac-specific bugs are filed without clear reproduction instructions. Without knowing how to reproduce bugs it is hard to fix them ...

* help you to set-up an automated packaging of OSX bundles using Travis-CI, in case you are interested. I have already set-up such mechanism for my own image editing project (PhotoFlow), and it seems to work like a charm. Dependencies are provided via homebrew. The advantage is that the packaging does not rely on any specific user, and runs on virtualised systems which increases the security for the final users.

The GIMP DMG package cannot depend on dependencies via homebrew. The DMG image must be self contained. In the last year I have been working on a magic Python script that builds GIMP and all its dependencies from scratch (using jhbuild). Subsequently it validates the build products and then it packages them as App bundle in a DMG image. This script produces exactly the same DMG images as we have been releasing in the last few years. It works fine for 2.8 now and I was in the process of preparing all necessary commits to upstream it before I had to attend to some matters in real life. I plan to finish this work soon and then continue with the adaptations necessary to build 2.10 releases.

I am using homebrew to install the dependencies, honestly I find it more practical than jhbuild. When creating the bundle, the libraries installed via homebrew are included so that the bundle is self-consistent.

Now that you mention Travis-CI, I was wondering if you have access to a macOS build server? One limitation is that I currently have to use my old Mac laptop to produce these builds. Having access to a build server would greatly simplify this process. Also, with the script that has been written it should not be hard to simply run it nightly or weekly to produce regular builds.

Travis provides MacOS build servers. The only issue is that the jobs are limited to 40 minutes, which are obviously not enough to install all dependencies. The solution I found is to do an incremental install of the homebrew packages via Travis itself, and save the resulting homebrew tree as a tar package that is stored back on github. For the final build, I simply fetch and extract the pre-packaged tar file, which provides me all the required dependencies.

It takes some hours to set-up, but then it just works…

Regards.

regards,

-kris.

Kristian Rietveld
2018-03-29 07:49:04 UTC (about 6 years ago)

On 28 Mar 2018, at 15:27, Carmelo DrRaw wrote:

I am using homebrew to install the dependencies, honestly I find it more practical than jhbuild. When creating the bundle, the libraries installed via homebrew are included so that the bundle is self-consistent.

I use jhbuild on the one hand because it was in place when I took over the work on the build and because I am relatively familiar with it. On the other hand, it gives us full control over all versions of the dependencies and patches to apply in an easy way (we simply use our own jhbuild moduleset with all details and maintain this in the GIMP git repository). We do incorporate a number of patches to third-party modules (glib, GTK+, and so not) that have not been accepted upstream and I foresee this will remain so in the future.

Travis provides MacOS build servers. The only issue is that the jobs are limited to 40 minutes, which are obviously not enough to install all dependencies. The solution I found is to do an incremental install of the homebrew packages via Travis itself, and save the resulting homebrew tree as a tar package that is stored back on github. For the final build, I simply fetch and extract the pre-packaged tar file, which provides me all the required dependencies.

40 minutes is probably not enough. Sending around tarballs seems a bit hacky to me. I have another possible option for a build server that I will try first.

thanks,

-kris.

Pat David
2018-03-29 11:39:00 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Travis let’s you store build artifacts and other things on each build. What’s nice is it will check for changes and store new archives if they’re different, and allow you to check when you start.

I imagine you could start incrementally building deps and storing them, then only build what’s needed later (or update deps as needed).

I do something sort of like this myself. But my implementation is not very sophisticated.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:49 AM Kristian Rietveld wrote:

On 28 Mar 2018, at 15:27, Carmelo DrRaw wrote:

I am using homebrew to install the dependencies, honestly I find it more

practical than jhbuild.

When creating the bundle, the libraries installed via homebrew are

included so that the bundle is self-consistent.

I use jhbuild on the one hand because it was in place when I took over the work on the build and because I am relatively familiar with it. On the other hand, it gives us full control over all versions of the dependencies and patches to apply in an easy way (we simply use our own jhbuild moduleset with all details and maintain this in the GIMP git repository). We do incorporate a number of patches to third-party modules (glib, GTK+, and so not) that have not been accepted upstream and I foresee this will remain so in the future.

Travis provides MacOS build servers. The only issue is that the jobs are

limited to 40 minutes, which are obviously not enough to install all dependencies.

The solution I found is to do an incremental install of the homebrew

packages via Travis itself, and save the resulting homebrew tree as a tar package that is stored back on github.

For the final build, I simply fetch and extract the pre-packaged tar

file, which provides me all the required dependencies.

40 minutes is probably not enough. Sending around tarballs seems a bit hacky to me. I have another possible option for a build server that I will try first.

thanks,

-kris.

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC