RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GEGL

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GEGL Michal Vašut 13 Mar 16:18
  GEGL Alexandre Prokoudine 13 Mar 20:22
   GEGL Tom Lechner 13 Mar 21:58
    GEGL Michal Vašut 14 Mar 05:42
Michal Vašut
2018-03-13 16:18:46 UTC (about 6 years ago)

GEGL

Is GEGL comparable with Blender's node editor or could it be visualised this way? Or did I miss the concept of it and it's something completely different?

Another one: Does Gimp use GEGL localisations (there are some in GEGL repository), or it's own?

Thanks for answers, Michal

Alexandre Prokoudine
2018-03-13 20:22:04 UTC (about 6 years ago)

GEGL

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 7:18 PM, Michal Vašut wrote:

Is GEGL comparable with Blender's node editor

This is a technically incorrect question.

GEGL is an image processing engine. It isn't UI.

It does have a UI which is available optionally, and unlike Blender's node editor, very few people have used it so far. There also was a GSoC project to build a conventional node-based editor with GTK+ UI for GEGL, but it didn't exactly succeed.

or could it be visualised this way?

It can be, see above.

Another one: Does Gimp use GEGL localisations (there are some in GEGL repository), or it's own?

If GEGL operations are translated into your native language, and GIMP uses that language in UI, you will see options of those operations in your native language.

Alex

Tom Lechner
2018-03-13 21:58:29 UTC (about 6 years ago)

GEGL

On 03/13/2018 01:22 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

It does have a UI which is available optionally, and unlike Blender's node editor, very few people have used it so far. There also was a GSoC project to build a conventional node-based editor with GTK+ UI for GEGL, but it didn't exactly succeed.

What and where is this ui? I know of imgflo. Is there another? I see a Tool->Gegl Operation in Gimp 2.9, but this seems to be a one time, one operation, irreversible thing, with broader reversible node editing only in the fullness of time, according to Gimp's roadmap.

I've written a minimally functional gegl ui that works in Laidout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPz3BniLSFw&t=8s

It's very new and not remotely tested enough! It currently can import and export gegl xml files. It can also import SVG filters (still working on export, and mapping to gegl nodes).

My intention is to have this node ui usable, if possible, at least via a plugin to Gimp (for instance). I'm doing a workshop at the upcoming Libre Graphics Meeting about nodes in FOSS to further explore issues involved.

-Tom
laidout.org
tomlechner.com

Michal Vašut
2018-03-14 05:42:11 UTC (about 6 years ago)

GEGL

Thanks Alex for explanation.

I've written a minimally functional gegl ui that works in Laidout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPz3BniLSFw&t=8s

Wow that's exactly what I had in my mind.

It can also import SVG filters

I also thought about this. Inkscape has some SVG filter editor, but this looks much better!

My intention is to have this node ui usable, if possible, at least via a

plugin to Gimp (for instance). I'm doing a workshop at the upcoming Libre Graphics Meeting about nodes in FOSS to further explore issues involved.

You are my hero :-D.