RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Whether to file bug reports after making several small code modifications?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Whether to file bug reports after making several small code modifications? Elle Stone 10 Mar 16:03
Elle Stone
2018-03-10 16:03:29 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Whether to file bug reports after making several small code modifications?

Hi All,

I've been using default babl/GEGL/GIMP for painting for the last several months, instead of using my patched version of GIMP. I switched to using default GIMP for three reasons:

* For painting (and probably everything else), default GIMP is faster than my patched version of GIMP.

* I really like the new ability to switch between linear and perceptual precision (for example using the new blending/compositing mode options for layers and using Curves/Levels), without having to make an ICC profile conversion.

* I want to help debug GIMP code, which is much easier when using default GIMP because I don't have to first replicate in default GIMP a bug or crash that happened in my patched version of GIMP.

However, recently I've made some small changes to my default GIMP code that might mean that I shouldn't be filing *any* bug reports:

* I reverted the changes that were recently made to the color picking dialogs (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=783680). I use an LCH-based color palette when painting, and I always want to see LCH and RGB at the same time. So I reverted these changes.

* I find it a bit distracting to have Levels and Curves always load with the last-used settings
(https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=792470). So until this morning I was reverting the relevant Levels and Curves changes (after pulling in the latest GIMP code, my patch to revert these changes no longer works, so I need to make a new patch).

* I switched the primaries used by babl/GEGL/GIMP from sRGB to Clay/AdobeRGB, to take better advantage of my monitor's color gamut. Thanks to Pippin's rather awesome new color space code, this seems to only require making very small changes to one babl file (babl/babl-space.c) and two GIMP files (libgimpcolor/gimpcolorprofile.c and libgimpcolor/gimprgb.h).

So given the above code changes, should I bother filing new GIMP bug reports or not? These code changes seem "small", but I don't have enough programming savvy to make a decision on this point.

Best, Elle