RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Starting contributing slowly

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Starting contributing slowly Kevin Pellet 05 Mar 23:22
  Starting contributing slowly Alexandre Prokoudine 07 Mar 09:58
Kevin Pellet
2018-03-05 23:22:48 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Hi everyone!

I am following this list since....well, quite a bunch of months now. I am a french student in computer science, and for once I am both in a mood of being productive and I have some time. So I'd like to help contributing to GIMP, and I am emailing the list because I am not sure where to start.

I started working on a bug a long time ago, but there was a few points that were needed to be discussed so it was kind of blocked (And I lost which bug it was). I love to code, I know more about web development (JavaScript stuff to be precise), but I already coded in C, C++, Python, and even tried Rust! And I am very interested in ux/ui design, even though I have no practical knowledges in it or even some degreed.

So, where do I have to start? :p More seriously, I'd like get my hand dirty to make GIMP an even more cool software. I know there is a lot of work to get 2.10 finished, is there anything I can do to help about this?

Thanks for reading! Have a nice day everyone _o/

Kevin Pellet (Ilphrin)
ilphrin@autistici.org
Epitech Student: Promotion 2019
https://www.ilphrin.com
Alexandre Prokoudine
2018-03-07 09:58:29 UTC (about 6 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:22 AM, Kevin Pellet wrote:

Hi everyone!

I am following this list since....well, quite a bunch of months now. I am a french student in computer science, and for once I am both in a mood of being productive and I have some time. So I'd like to help contributing to GIMP, and I am emailing the list because I am not sure where to start.

I started working on a bug a long time ago, but there was a few points that were needed to be discussed so it was kind of blocked (And I lost which bug it was). I love to code, I know more about web development (JavaScript stuff to be precise), but I already coded in C, C++, Python, and even tried Rust! And I am very interested in ux/ui design, even though I have no practical knowledges in it or even some degreed.

So, where do I have to start? :p More seriously, I'd like get my hand dirty to make GIMP an even more cool software. I know there is a lot of work to get 2.10 finished, is there anything I can do to help about this?

Thanks for reading! Have a nice day everyone _o/

Hello and welcome, Kevin :)

Here is the list of all bugs that block the v2.10 release:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=product%3A%22gimp%22%20severity%3Ablocker%20target%3A2.10&list_id=294963

It looks like #792141 (replacing jasper with openjpeg lib for JPEG2000 support) is now being taken care of by Darshan, our intern from FSF, and #589371 (improving default set of brushes etc.) is being done by Americo. The rest is probably free to be worked on.

There is also a bunch of bugs with "normal" and "minor" severity. Here's the full list:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=294966&product=GIMP&target_milestone=2.10

What picks your interest there?

Alex