RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list 19 Dec 02:09
  Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Felix von Drigalski 19 Dec 10:10
   M6GGImEoluR4JCwy6ndrvPfm3o2... 19 Dec 21:17
    Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Felix von Drigalski 19 Dec 21:16
     Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list 14 Jan 23:01
Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list
2017-12-19 02:09:11 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello.

The only cryptocurrency you can donate to Gimp devs is Bitcoin. ​Bitcoin is useless for donations in this state because of huge fees. You can check out this fee chart comparing Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Monero fees in the last 3 months: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionfees-btc-bch-xmr.html#3m

The average fee for BTC is over $25 at this moment. How much someone would have to want to donate to justify that fee?

It would be cool if you provided official Bitcoin Cash and/or Monero addresses.

Best regards, Piotr

Felix von Drigalski
2017-12-19 10:10:07 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hi,

Since the same public and private key is used for Bitcoin cash, it would be sufficient to update the website description to state that both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash are accepted at the current address. There is no need for an additional wallet until you want to spend the Bitcoin Cash at the address.

On another note, I would suggest making sure that the private key for the address is secure, because the Bitcoin donations on it are worth over $350,000 now, and the Bitcoin Cash over $40,000.

Best regards Felix

On 19 December 2017 at 11:09, Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list < gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hello.

The only cryptocurrency you can donate to Gimp devs is Bitcoin. ​Bitcoin is useless for donations in this state because of huge fees. You can check out this fee chart comparing Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Monero fees in the last 3 months:
https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionfees-btc-bch-xmr.html#3m

The average fee for BTC is over $25 at this moment. How much someone would have to want to donate to justify that fee?

Best regards,
Piotr
_______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Felix von Drigalski
2017-12-19 21:16:48 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hi Piotr,

I'll forward this to the mailing list because you sent it only to me.

And just to clarify: There is no need to add another address. The current address works for both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash, and the same private key that would be used to access the Bitcoin at the address can be used to access the Bitcoin Cash. It just requires a different client.

Best regards Felix

On 20 December 2017 at 05:32, Piotr Kąkol wrote:

Sure, I'm definitely fine with adding the same Bitcoin Cash address. When BCH address is added I'll assume that someone also checked if they had access to both wallets and I'll then send a donation. So I'd be thankful for the check.

Best regards,
Piotr

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [Gimp-web] Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Local Time: December 19, 2017 11:10 AM UTC Time: December 19, 2017 10:10 AM From: fvdrigalski@gmail.com
To: Piotr Kąkol
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Hi,

Since the same public and private key is used for Bitcoin cash, it would

be sufficient to update the website description to state that both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash are accepted at the current address. There is no need for an additional wallet until you want to spend the Bitcoin Cash at the address.

On another note, I would suggest making sure that the private key for the

address is secure, because the Bitcoin donations on it are worth over $350,000 now, and the Bitcoin Cash over $40,000.

Best regards
Felix

On 19 December 2017 at 11:09, Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list <

gimp-web-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hello.

The only cryptocurrency you can donate to Gimp devs is Bitcoin. ​Bitcoin is useless for donations in this state because of huge fees. You can check out this fee chart comparing Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and

Monero fees in the last 3 months:

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionfees-btc-bch-xmr.html#3m

The average fee for BTC is over $25 at this moment. How much someone

would have to want to donate to justify that fee?

It would be cool if you provided official Bitcoin Cash and/or Monero

addresses.

Best regards,
Piotr
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list
2018-01-14 23:01:04 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello again.

There's a new Bitcoin Cash address format. I think it would be better to add that instead of the same address to avoid confusion. New users might find it easier to have different address formats and software can warn them if they are using wrong address. Just another safety measure. You can find more about the format here: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/7haibv/psa_tell_your_friends_upcoming_address_format_jan

Best regards, Piotr

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [Gimp-web] Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Local Time: December 19, 2017 10:16 PM UTC Time: December 19, 2017 9:16 PM
To: Piotr Kąkol , gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Hi Piotr,

I'll forward this to the mailing list because you sent it only to me.

And just to clarify: There is no need to add another address. The current address works for both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash, and the same private key that would be used to access the Bitcoin at the address can be used to access the Bitcoin Cash. It just requires a different client.

Best regards Felix

On 20 December 2017 at 05:32, Piotr Kąkol wrote:

Sure, I'm definitely fine with adding the same Bitcoin Cash address. When BCH address is added I'll assume that someone also checked if they had access to both wallets and I'll then send a donation. So I'd be thankful for the check.

Best regards, Piotr

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [Gimp-web] Add Bitcoin Cash or Monero donation address Local Time: December 19, 2017 11:10 AM UTC Time: December 19, 2017 10:10 AM From: fvdrigalski@gmail.com
To: Piotr Kąkol
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Hi,

Since the same public and private key is used for Bitcoin cash, it would be sufficient to update the website description to state that both Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash are accepted at the current address. There is no need for an additional wallet until you want to spend the Bitcoin Cash at the address. 

On another note, I would suggest making sure that the private key for the address is secure, because the Bitcoin donations on it are worth over $350,000 now, and the Bitcoin Cash over $40,000.

Best regards Felix

On 19 December 2017 at 11:09, Piotr Kąkol via gimp-web-list wrote:

Hello.

The only cryptocurrency you can donate to Gimp devs is Bitcoin. ​Bitcoin is useless for donations in this state because of huge fees. You can check out this fee chart comparing Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Monero fees in the last 3 months: https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionfees-btc-bch-xmr.html#3m

Best regards, Piotr
gimp-web-list@gnome.org