RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[feature-request] enhancement of the foreground selection Tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[feature-request] enhancement of the foreground selection Tool Boris Hajdukovic 10 Nov 03:49
  [feature-request] enhancement of the foreground selection Tool Tobias Ellinghaus 10 Nov 08:37
   [feature-request] enhancement of the foreground selection Tool Boris Hajdukovic 10 Nov 10:11
Boris Hajdukovic
2017-11-10 03:49:48 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello,

At the moment I am using GIMP developer version 2.9.7 and I am very impressed with the results of Levin-Matting engine. However, the calculation with this engine is very time-consuming. I believe that the calculation time can be significantly reduced if the steps in the selection process can be modified.

For now, the following steps are necessary:

1) make a rough selection around the object that needs to be selected 2) use brush to paint foreground, unknown and background area. 3) press ENTER to start selection algorithm 4) if you are not satisfied with the result, make further foreground, unknown and background corrections with a brush.

The problem with this fourth step is that the algorithm is started automatically after each brush stroke which increases the calculation time unnecessarily.

Proposal:

1) make a rough selection around each object that needs to be selected (If you want to select several objects that are not connected to each other, it would be good to be able to make several independent selections at once) 2) use brush to paint foreground, unknown and background area. 3) press ENTER to start selection algorithm 4) if you are not satisfied with the result, make further foreground, unknown and background corrections with a brush. 5) press ENTER to start selection algorithm again.

or even better:

1) use brush to paint foreground, unknown and background area. 2) press ENTER to start selection algorithm 3) if you are not satisfied with the result, make further foreground, unknown and background corrections with a brush. 5) press ENTER to start selection algorithm again.

The first step is not necessary, because after that initial selection you have possibility to select the foreground, background and unknown with a brush anyway.

Thanks,
Boris

Tobias Ellinghaus
2017-11-10 08:37:50 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Am Freitag, 10. November 2017, 04:49:48 CET schrieb Boris Hajdukovic:

Hello,

At the moment I am using GIMP developer version 2.9.7 and I am very impressed with the results of Levin-Matting engine. However, the calculation with this engine is very time-consuming. I believe that the calculation time can be significantly reduced if the steps in the selection process can be modified.

For now, the following steps are necessary:

1) make a rough selection around the object that needs to be selected 2) use brush to paint foreground, unknown and background area. 3) press ENTER to start selection algorithm 4) if you are not satisfied with the result, make further foreground, unknown and background corrections with a brush.

The problem with this fourth step is that the algorithm is started automatically after each brush stroke which increases the calculation time unnecessarily.

You can get back to drawing without having the algorithm run after every stroke by unchecking"Preview mask" in the floating controls in the top right corner of the canvas.

[...]

Thanks,
Boris

Tobias

Boris Hajdukovic
2017-11-10 10:11:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Thank you to pointing that out Tobias, but wouldn't it be better to have the last mask created by algorithm as a reference for further drawing instead of going back to initial mask created by hand before applying the algorithm?

2017-11-10 9:37 GMT+01:00 Tobias Ellinghaus :

You can get back to drawing without having the algorithm run after every stroke by unchecking"Preview mask" in the floating controls in the top right
corner of the canvas.

Tobias
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list