RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help Needed for Documentation Writing?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Morgan Lupton 22 Oct 16:30
  Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Julien Hardelin 23 Oct 05:53
  Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Marco Ciampa via gimp-docs-list 23 Oct 06:32
   Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Pat David 23 Oct 14:03
    Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Morgan Lupton 23 Oct 14:56
     Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Julien Hardelin 24 Oct 05:28
    Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Julien Hardelin 23 Oct 19:34
     Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Pat David 23 Oct 20:23
      Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Julien Hardelin 25 Oct 10:03
       Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Oct 12:43
       Help Needed for Documentation Writing? Pat David 25 Oct 13:45
Morgan Lupton
2017-10-22 16:30:58 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hey everyone,

I'm a big fan of this project, and I've been a GIMP user for many years. I'm by no means a skilled enough developer to contribute in code, but I would like to lend a hand by writing, editing, formatting or modifying any GIMP documentation that needs extra work.

I've written countless enterprise docs for clients during my employment at Red Hat as a consultant, including wikis, procedural guides, and reference glossaries. I've recently returned from a position as a site reliability engineer over in Europe and am hoping to transition into a technical writing role stateside, which I believe is a better fit for my skills and experience.

Is there a documentation Github page or taskboard you can point me towards? Most of the docs I've written aren't really publicly available, but I do have a short procedural doc I can send your way if it's necessary to provide a sample.

Let me know if you need anything else, looking forward to helping out the GIMP Team!

Best,
Morgan

--

Julien Hardelin
2017-10-23 05:53:19 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Oh yes, we need help to update the GIMP documentation : I am presently the only doc writer.

Gimp-help-2 is managed in XML language. Usually, candidates are afraid by this language, but it is not actually difficult.

I attach an Howto and I'll help you to start.

Best,

Julien

Le 22/10/2017 à 18:30, Morgan Lupton a écrit :

Hey everyone,

I'm a big fan of this project, and I've been a GIMP user for many years. I'm by no means a skilled enough developer to contribute in code, but I would like to lend a hand by writing, editing, formatting or modifying any GIMP documentation that needs extra work.

I've written countless enterprise docs for clients during my employment at Red Hat as a consultant, including wikis, procedural guides, and reference glossaries. I've recently returned from a position as a site reliability engineer over in Europe and am hoping to transition into a technical writing role stateside, which I believe is a better fit for my skills and experience.

Is there a documentation Github page or taskboard you can point me towards? Most of the docs I've written aren't really publicly available, but I do have a short procedural doc I can send your way if it's necessary to provide a sample.

Let me know if you need anything else, looking forward to helping out the GIMP Team!

Best,
Morgan

--

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

Marco Ciampa via gimp-docs-list
2017-10-23 06:32:47 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 12:30:58PM -0400, Morgan Lupton wrote:

Hey everyone,

Best,
Morgan

Hi Morgan and welcome aboard!

I'm the Italian translator of the manual, so please forgive my bad English. The GIMP manual is written in docbook-xml, and converted by the source code present in its repository in PDF and HTML. The strings are automatically extracted by a series of very smart scripts and Makefiles into .po files (see the gettext docs) for the use of us -translators-. Translated strings are then riconverted into docbook by means of the same scripts to obtain the different languages versions of the docs. The mechanism is very smart. In this way translators can focus on the translation and every small modification or update in the original source text will automatically transmitted to the translations in the form of marked strings to update/translate.

It is very important to understand the mechanism and keep it working to permit to translators to work.

Docbook permits also to have "anchors" in the text that make the "context help" through the pressing of the F1 key work inside GIMP.

Hope this help you clarify matter...

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

Pat David
2017-10-23 14:03:10 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Julien,

Is there a list (or maybe off the top of your head you'll know) of a couple of simple places a new contributor could get their feet wet helping out? Maybe something relatively easy to get accustomed to the workflow?

Also, is the workflow for participating something we should document on the website somewhere also? I'm happy to help get a page setup with your info!

pat

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:34 AM Marco Ciampa via gimp-docs-list < gimp-docs-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm a big fan of this project, and I've been a GIMP user for many years. I'm by no means a skilled enough developer to contribute in code, but I would like to lend a hand by writing, editing, formatting or modifying

any

GIMP documentation that needs extra work.

I've written countless enterprise docs for clients during my employment

at

Red Hat as a consultant, including wikis, procedural guides, and

reference

glossaries. I've recently returned from a position as a site reliability engineer over in Europe and am hoping to transition into a technical writing role stateside, which I believe is a better fit for my skills and experience.

Is there a documentation Github page or taskboard you can point me

towards?

Most of the docs I've written aren't really publicly available, but I do have a short procedural doc I can send your way if it's necessary to provide a sample.

Best,
Morgan

I'm the Italian translator of the manual, so please forgive my bad English. The GIMP manual is written in docbook-xml, and converted by the source code present in its repository in PDF and HTML. The strings are automatically extracted by a series of very smart scripts and Makefiles into .po files (see the gettext docs) for the use of us -translators-. Translated strings are then riconverted into docbook by means of the same scripts to obtain the different languages versions of the docs. The mechanism is very smart. In this way translators can focus on the translation and every small modification or update in the original source text will automatically transmitted to the translations in the form of marked strings to update/translate.

It is very important to understand the mechanism and keep it working to permit to translators to work.

Docbook permits also to have "anchors" in the text that make the "context help" through the pressing of the F1 key work inside GIMP.

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

------------------------

------------------------

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
Morgan Lupton
2017-10-23 14:56:01 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Thanks for the info so far guys! I'm actually quite familiar with XML through writing manifests, though I don't imagine this knowledge will really be applicable to documentation editing, as the purposes of the two are very different.

I'll do a bit of research on the workflow to better understand how this all works (is the definitive guide still useful? ). In the mean time, if any
there's any less-critical work that I could get started on, let me know and I'd be glad to help!

Best,
Morgan

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Pat David wrote:

Julien,

Is there a list (or maybe off the top of your head you'll know) of a couple of simple places a new contributor could get their feet wet helping out? Maybe something relatively easy to get accustomed to the workflow?

Also, is the workflow for participating something we should document on the website somewhere also? I'm happy to help get a page setup with your info!

pat

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:34 AM Marco Ciampa via gimp-docs-list < gimp-docs-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm a big fan of this project, and I've been a GIMP user for many years. I'm by no means a skilled enough developer to contribute in code, but I would like to lend a hand by writing, editing, formatting or modifying

any

at

reference

glossaries. I've recently returned from a position as a site reliability engineer over in Europe and am hoping to transition into a technical writing role stateside, which I believe is a better fit for my skills

and

experience.

towards?

Most of the docs I've written aren't really publicly available, but I do have a short procedural doc I can send your way if it's necessary to provide a sample.

Let me know if you need anything else, looking forward to helping out

the

GIMP Team!

Best,
Morgan

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

------------------------

------------------------

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

--
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D 18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

G. Morgan Lupton IV
College of Arts & Sciences '15
Department of Computer Science
University of Virginia
+1-434-209-0123
Julien Hardelin
2017-10-23 19:34:36 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hi pat,

My Howto needs some fixes if it is to be published. I'll do that.

Julien

Le 23/10/2017 à 16:03, Pat David a écrit :

Julien,

Is there a list (or maybe off the top of your head you'll know) of a couple of simple places a new contributor could get their feet wet helping out?  Maybe something relatively easy to get accustomed to the workflow?

Also, is the workflow for participating something we should document on the website somewhere also?  I'm happy to help get a page setup with your info!

pat

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:34 AM Marco Ciampa via gimp-docs-list > wrote:

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 12:30:58PM -0400, Morgan Lupton wrote: > Hey everyone,
>
> I'm a big fan of this project, and I've been a GIMP user for many years.
> I'm by no means a skilled enough developer to contribute in code, but I
> would like to lend a hand by writing, editing, formatting or modifying any
> GIMP documentation that needs extra work. >
> I've written countless enterprise docs for clients during my employment at
> Red Hat as a consultant, including wikis, procedural guides, and reference
> glossaries. I've recently returned from a position as a site reliability
> engineer over in Europe and am hoping to transition into a technical > writing role stateside, which I believe is a better fit for my skills and
> experience.
>
> Is there a documentation Github page or taskboard you can point me towards?
> Most of the docs I've written aren't really publicly available, but I do
> have a short procedural doc I can send your way if it's necessary to > provide a sample.
>
> Let me know if you need anything else, looking forward to helping out the
> GIMP Team!
>
> Best,
> Morgan

I'm the Italian translator of the manual, so please forgive my bad English. The GIMP manual is written in docbook-xml, and converted by the
source code present in its repository in PDF and HTML. The strings are automatically extracted by a series of very smart scripts and Makefiles
into .po files (see the gettext docs) for the use of us -translators-. Translated strings are then riconverted into docbook by means of the same
scripts to obtain the different languages versions of the docs. The mechanism is very smart. In this way translators can focus on the translation and every small modification or update in the original source
text will automatically transmitted to the translations in the form of marked strings to update/translate.

It is very important to understand the mechanism and keep it working to
permit to translators to work.

Docbook permits also to have "anchors" in the text that make the "context
help" through the pressing of the F1 key work inside GIMP.

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271  FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

-- https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

Pat David
2017-10-23 20:23:04 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Julien,

Awesome - if there's something you need me to help with please don't hesitate to ask!

pat

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:35 PM Julien Hardelin wrote:

Hi pat,

My Howto needs some fixes if it is to be published. I'll do that.

Julien

Le 23/10/2017 à 16:03, Pat David a écrit :

Julien,

pat

Hey everyone,

any

at

reference

glossaries. I've recently returned from a position as a site reliability engineer over in Europe and am hoping to transition into a technical writing role stateside, which I believe is a better fit for my skills

and

experience.

towards?

Let me know if you need anything else, looking forward to helping out

the

GIMP Team!

Best,
Morgan

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

------------------------

------------------------

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

--
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D 18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing listgimp-docs-list@gnome.orghttps://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

Julien Hardelin
2017-10-24 05:28:14 UTC (over 6 years ago)

"I'll do a bit of research on the workflow to better understand how this all works (is the definitive guide still useful? ). In the mean time, if any
there's any less-critical work that I could get started on, let me know and I'd be glad to help!"

Docbook is useful as a reference. In usual workflow, you will find many code examples in src files, and you have templates as explained in the Howto.

Many chapters have to be updated (sometimes for only a few words), rebuilt or created. There is no complete list of what is to be done. You can find some indications in the "bug" list of Bugzila :https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=gimp%20manual&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=GIMP-manual&query_format=specific. Also when you have built the html files of the work in progress, you will find a What's new in GIMP-2.10 section. And browsing the Web for gimp-2.9, you will find several What's new in.

But the main way is to compare gimp-2.9.6 step by step with the help html files.

Julien Hardelin
2017-10-25 10:03:51 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hi Pat,

Here is my file corrected, with the xml file, as I don't exactly know what you are going to do.

Julien

Joao S. O. Bueno
2017-10-25 12:43:55 UTC (over 6 years ago)

this thread reminded me of how when translating the pt_BR version, back in 2014, I was able to produce an .ODF version of the manual by hammering some of the requisites in place.

The docbook->ODT path uses some ancient and arcane scripts I had to hunt around the web like it was the 90's.

Maybe, while you are around you could also try to get that working and fix (or document) it?

On 25 October 2017 at 08:03, Julien Hardelin wrote:

Hi Pat,

Here is my file corrected, with the xml file, as I don't exactly know what you are going to do.

Julien

gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

Pat David
2017-10-25 13:45:28 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Awesome Julien, thank you!

I was going to post the instructions on the main website to have as a reference to point folks to who might want to try contributing.

pat

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 5:04 AM Julien Hardelin wrote:

Hi Pat,

Julien _______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org