RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Painting on a text layer, turning it into a regular layer?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Painting on a text layer, turning it into a regular layer? Elle Stone 28 Aug 22:55
  Painting on a text layer, turning it into a regular layer? Ofnuts 29 Aug 00:49
  Painting on a text layer, turning it into a regular layer? Carol Spears 29 Aug 01:06
Elle Stone
2017-08-28 22:55:54 UTC (over 6 years ago)

I wasn't actually trying to paint on a text layer. But I had inadvertently selected a text layer when I used the brush tool, and the text disappeared under the paint.

Is this new behavior? This is from babl/GEGL/GIMP from git updated this morning (commit 188a82552b).

I'm kind of hoping this is a bug and not the actually intended behavior.

Best, Elle

Ofnuts
2017-08-29 00:49:04 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On 08/29/17 00:55, Elle Stone wrote:

I wasn't actually trying to paint on a text layer. But I had inadvertently selected a text layer when I used the brush tool, and the text disappeared under the paint.

Is this new behavior? This is from babl/GEGL/GIMP from git updated this morning (commit 188a82552b).

AFAIK it has always been that way. Any change to a text layer outside of the Text tool turns it into a plain raster layer.

Carol Spears
2017-08-29 01:06:43 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Elle Stone wrote:

The color can be changed via the text tool.

When I need to do things to a text layer that the text tool doesn't understand, I make a copy of the layer when it is still a text layer.

Worse for me is that I cannot get rid of a large brush or any of the transform tools or the pesky blend tool (all whose touch on an image is cumbersome if not intended) quickly by touching the ruler and engaging the move tool. Downright inconvenient compared to older GIMP.

carol