RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Odd problem

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Odd problem Paul Thompson 07 Jul 20:55
  Odd problem Bill Skaggs 08 Jul 00:36
  Odd problem Partha Bagchi 08 Jul 00:55
Paul Thompson
2017-07-07 20:55:59 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Odd problem

I am working on a script recorder for gimp. I am writing out debug statements to attempt to learn this and that. The problem is that debug statements in some files print as expected, while the same statement placed into other files do not print to the calling window.

I am working on a windows system, and have followed the direction in

https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Building/Windows

These are well-written directions, and enable me to compile a running copy. So far so good.

I am working with 2 files:

File 1: gimp/libgimp/gimpimagemetadata.c

All statements put into this file, such as

g_print("Test 1 - add new print statement\n");

print as directed to the window

File 2: gimp/app/file/file-open.c

Statements put into this file, including a copy of the statement above, do not print, regardless of what printing function I use.

I know that I am going through the relevant section since I open and write to a file successfully in the section that I have the g_print statement.

The compile is clean, although there are libtool warnings.

Is there some overlooked flag which turns printing on and off in specific functions that I am unaware of? This is creating difficulties in my progress.

Paul A. Thompson

Bill Skaggs
2017-07-08 00:36:10 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Odd problem

Let me quote from the glib documentation for g_print(): Outputs a formatted message via the print handler. The default print handler simply outputs the message to stdout. g_print()

should not be used from within libraries for debugging messages, since it may be redirected by applications to special purpose message windows or even files. Instead, libraries should use g_log() ,
or the convenience functions g_message() ,
g_warning()

and g_error()

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Paul Thompson wrote:

I am working on a script recorder for gimp. I am writing out debug statements to attempt to learn this and that. The problem is that debug statements in some files print as expected, while the same statement placed into other files do not print to the calling window.

These are well-written directions, and enable me to compile a running copy. So far so good.

Statements put into this file, including a copy of the statement above, do not print, regardless of what printing function I use.

I know that I am going through the relevant section since I open and write to a file successfully in the section that I have the g_print statement.

Is there some overlooked flag which turns printing on and off in specific functions that I am unaware of? This is creating difficulties in my progress.

Paul A. Thompson
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Partha Bagchi
2017-07-08 00:55:33 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Odd problem

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Paul Thompson wrote:

Paul A. Thompson

Paul,

You should be able to access gimp_message and friends and use those functions to print messages to the error console.