RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

request

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

request Bert de Jong 23 Jun 12:14
  request Tobias Ellinghaus 24 Jun 15:29
   request Kevin Cozens 24 Jun 17:02
    request Tobias Ellinghaus 24 Jun 18:40
     request Kevin Cozens 24 Jun 20:36
  request Ofnuts 24 Jun 17:39
   request Tobias Ellinghaus 24 Jun 18:40
   request Alexandre Prokoudine 24 Jun 20:05
    request C R 24 Jun 22:00
Bert de Jong
2017-06-23 12:14:19 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

When saving a JPG, please warn if there is transparency. Currently GIMP saves such images without warnings and just uses the current background color.
I think a lot of people do not use XCF and are used to saving transparency to PNG and GIF files.

I think it's customary for GIMP to warn when operations initiated by the user will be performed slightly different than the user might expect.
An example is when scaling indexed images. It then says: "Indexed color layers are always scaled without interpolation. The chosen interpolation type will affect channels and layer masks only."

Thanks.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Bert de Jong, Elicom B.V.

----------
Tobias Ellinghaus
2017-06-24 15:29:13 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

Am Freitag, 23. Juni 2017, 12:14:19 CEST schrieb Bert de Jong:

When saving a JPG

GIMP doesn't allow to save a JPEG for quite some versions now.

[...]

Tobias

Kevin Cozens
2017-06-24 17:02:11 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

On 2017-06-24 11:29 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

When saving a JPG

It doesn't allow you to save as JPEG. You need to export an image as a JPEG.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Ofnuts
2017-06-24 17:39:58 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

On 06/23/17 14:14, Bert de Jong wrote:

When saving a JPG, please warn if there is transparency. Currently GIMP saves such images without warnings and just uses the current background color.
I think a lot of people do not use XCF and are used to saving transparency to PNG and GIF files.

I think it's customary for GIMP to warn when operations initiated by the user will be performed slightly different than the user might expect.
An example is when scaling indexed images. It then says: "Indexed color layers are always scaled without interpolation. The chosen interpolation type will affect channels and layer masks only."

Thanks.

Given the number of times I've seen people complaining about the loss of transparency, that would be a good idea.

What Gimp could have is either a counter of the number of times a warning has been issued (and stop issuing it after a while) or a "Don't tell me again" checkbox.

Tobias Ellinghaus
2017-06-24 18:40:03 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

Am Samstag, 24. Juni 2017, 19:39:58 CEST schrieb Ofnuts:

On 06/23/17 14:14, Bert de Jong wrote:

Thanks.

Given the number of times I've seen people complaining about the loss of transparency, that would be a good idea.

What Gimp could have is either a counter of the number of times a warning has been issued (and stop issuing it after a while)

That sounds like a bad idea. People will rely on the warning to be there so they can cancel the export and do something appropriate. Suddenly stopping to show it will make them complain.

or a "Don't
tell me again" checkbox.

Tobias

Tobias Ellinghaus
2017-06-24 18:40:48 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

Am Samstag, 24. Juni 2017, 13:02:11 CEST schrieb Kevin Cozens:

When saving a JPG

That's what I said.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-06-24 20:05:29 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

24 июня 2017 г. 8:40 PM пользователь "Ofnuts" написал:

What Gimp could have is either a counter of the number of times a warning has been issued (and stop issuing it after a while) or a "Don't tell me again" checkbox.

So that people treat it like something annoying and disable it, then still run into the issue?

Personally, I'd rather see a combobox in JOEG exporting options to select background color, with these options: Black, White, Current Background Color, Cyrrent Foreground Color.

Alex

Kevin Cozens
2017-06-24 20:36:57 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

On 2017-06-24 02:40 PM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

Am Samstag, 24. Juni 2017, 13:02:11 CEST schrieb Kevin Cozens:

When saving a JPG

That's what I said.

ok. I missed the earlier part of the thread. It read to me like someone was saying their version of GIMP is not able to create JPEG files.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
C R
2017-06-24 22:00:00 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

request

Was going to recommend this myself. I agree with Alex's suggestion:

Personally, I'd rather see a combobox in JPEG exporting options to select background color, with these options: Black, White, Current Background Color, Cyrrent Foreground Color.

Alex

If we do this, there is no need for a warning.

-C