RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10 Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list 30 May 06:18
  question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10 Carol Spears 30 May 14:09
   question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10 Øyvind Kolås 30 May 18:02
    question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10 Carol Spears 30 May 19:36
    question about script-fu and GIMP 2.10 Kevin Cozens 14 Jul 16:30
Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list
2017-05-30 06:18:26 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hello dear devs!
I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW: forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries. I am asking this because I use to compile an up-to-date dev version and I am not observing any menu entry of such.

Perhaps there were some decisions about it that i missed?

Keep up your wonderful job with GIMP! Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

Carol Spears
2017-05-30 14:09:52 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list < gimp-developer-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hello dear devs!
I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW: forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries. I am asking this because I use to compile an up-to-date dev version and I am not observing any menu entry of such.

I think this is the commit you are looking for:

commit 96ab6aa88e2d94241b7caba7f522afbde08ff36f Author: Øyvind Kolås
Date: Thu May 3 03:47:05 2012 +0200

scripts: remove the entries registered in the create menu

carol

Øyvind Kolås
2017-05-30 18:02:34 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

on Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Carol Spears wrote:

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list < gimp-developer-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hello dear devs!

These menu entries have been hidden for half a decade in the development version without people seriously missing them. The scripts have an element of nostalgia for people into 90s webdesign, and are good candidates for someone to package as a third party nostalgia pack for GIMP. They are however not the best thing to have cluttering the menus of the default install for all new operators of the software; similar effects would rather be achieved through other non-destructive means in the coming GEGL powered feature. Similar to how we really want to clean up the default set of brushes and patterns - style, technique and technology have moved on since GIMPs first decade - improving the usability and discoverability includes making decisions about removing/hiding things.

/pippin

Carol Spears
2017-05-30 19:36:54 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

on Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Carol Spears wrote:

Hello dear devs!

These menu entries have been hidden for half a decade in the development version without people seriously missing them. The scripts have an element of nostalgia for people into 90s webdesign, and are good candidates for someone to package as a third party nostalgia pack for GIMP.

And maintain them. Which is a greater commitment than simply packaging.

I like to think that GIMP is a living text book for pixel related graphics, in addition to being a professional editing tool.

Truly, what you said is true about the scripts not being useful via their menu
entries, but via the subdirectory they were great for seeing how to do things.

(Also the occasional irc log paste within....)

carol

Kevin Cozens
2017-07-14 16:30:32 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list wrote: I was wondering if, when the GIMP version 2.10 is ready (BTW: forecast of the release date?) it will contain the old beloved script-fus with the file->button and file->logo menu entries.

[snip]

I don't know if there was any public discussion about removing scripts. I was just as surprised to one day find that a load of Script-Fu scripts had disappeared.

One very useful script that was removed was the Text Circle script. Every so often someone in IRC would ask how to add text to an image in a circle and the script-fu script was the answer. I don't know if there is some other way to do text in a circle using paths. The script made it dead easy.

Some of the scripts that were removed were for effects that weren't likely to see much use these days. They were only useful to show how somethings could be done in Script-Fu. The removed scripts should be placed in a public repository so they would be available for someone who still wanted to use them.

At some point a review should be done as to which scripts are included by default and which ones should be re-instated.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick