RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Symmetry painting: Disable brush transform

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Symmetry painting: Disable brush transform Julien Hardelin 04 May 05:26
  Symmetry painting: Disable brush transform Alexandre Prokoudine 04 May 11:45
   Symmetry painting: Disable brush transform Julien Hardelin 04 May 18:43
Julien Hardelin
2017-05-04 05:26:45 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hi all,

Could somebody explain "brush transform" ("brush reflection" in pop help) in the Disable brush transform option of the Symmetry painting dialog?

I don't see any difference when painting with or without this option checked, and don't find explanation on the Web.

Julien

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-05-04 11:45:37 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Julien Hardelin wrote:

Hi all,

Could somebody explain "brush transform" ("brush reflection" in pop help) in the Disable brush transform option of the Symmetry painting dialog?

I don't see any difference when painting with or without this option checked, and don't find explanation on the Web.

Hi Julien,

Jehan who developed this feature (and isn't subscribed to this list) asked me to pass this on:

"When you transform the drawing, the brush itself will end up transformed as well. For instance, in a mirror transform, not only will your drawing on the right of the canvas be mirrored on the left, but the brush itself is obviously "flipped" on the left. If for some reason, you wanted the drawn lines to be mirrored (or other transformation) but not the brush outline itself, you could check this box.

For obvious reason, you won't see it with symmetrical brushes though. That's likely why you don't see the effect because many default brushes are symmetrical."

Alex

Julien Hardelin
2017-05-04 18:43:46 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Thank you Alex (and Jehan) for the explanation.

Julien