RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP license from the GIMP team ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1094652650.17207467.1491283... 04 Apr 05:30
  GIMP license from the GIMP team ? Entertainment Mobile via gimp-developer-list 04 Apr 05:29
   GIMP license from the GIMP team ? Simon Budig 04 Apr 06:45
    GIMP license from the GIMP team ? C R 04 Apr 07:03
Entertainment Mobile via gimp-developer-list
2017-04-04 05:29:55 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hi all,
I have developed an Android application that provide GIMP via  a remote connection to a server where GIMP desktop app is running.I want to include the word GIMP in the app name and in the app description but I am not sure it there is a GIMP trademark that states restrictions about it. An app name like RemoteGIMP or vncGIMP or Image editor for GIMP ...  My understanding is that GIMP trademark and logo is free to use according to GPL. However Google Team says that I must have the GIMP team permission in order to use the word "GIMP" in the app name. Do you know how we could obtain the GIMP team permissions to include the word GIMP in the app name taking into account that our app provides access to a GIMP desktop app ? Thanks,
Miguel

Simon Budig
2017-04-04 06:45:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hi Miguel.

Entertainment Mobile wrote:

My understanding is that GIMP trademark and logo is free to use according to GPL. However Google Team says that I must have the GIMP team permission in order to use the word "GIMP" in the app name. Do you know how we could obtain the GIMP team permissions to include the word GIMP in the app name taking into account that our app provides access to a GIMP desktop app ?

Well, asking the GIMP team here is a good start. :)

Personally I consider it a bit misleading to include the name "GIMP" into a remote desktop app that happens to be used to connect to a remote gimp.

The User Experience for this kind of application will always be tricky, since GIMP is designed for the desktop and is not really adjusted to the Android UI.

I would prefer to reserve the name "GIMP" for an app that uses gimp's technology with a suitable UI layer. While we currently don't have any plans to do this it might happen in the future.

I appreciate your efforts and your enthusiasm for gimp, but please try to find a different name for your application.

Thank you, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
C R
2017-04-04 07:03:46 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Why just gimp? Why not include Inkscape, & Scribus, etc. and call it Remote Design Studio (RDS) for short?

Just a thought. -C

On 4 Apr 2017 7:48 a.m., "Simon Budig" wrote:

Hi Miguel.

Entertainment Mobile wrote:

My understanding is that GIMP trademark and logo is free to use according to GPL. However Google Team says that I must have the GIMP team permission in order to use the word "GIMP" in the app name. Do you know how we could obtain the GIMP team permissions to include the word GIMP in the app name taking into account that our app provides access to a GIMP desktop app ?

Well, asking the GIMP team here is a good start. :)

Personally I consider it a bit misleading to include the name "GIMP" into a remote desktop app that happens to be used to connect to a remote gimp.

The User Experience for this kind of application will always be tricky, since GIMP is designed for the desktop and is not really adjusted to the Android UI.

I would prefer to reserve the name "GIMP" for an app that uses gimp's technology with a suitable UI layer. While we currently don't have any plans to do this it might happen in the future.

I appreciate your efforts and your enthusiasm for gimp, but please try to find a different name for your application.

Thank you, Simon
--
simon@budig.de http://simon.budig.de/ _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list