RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New Advanced Color options in the UIs for various operations

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New Advanced Color options in the UIs for various operations Elle Stone 13 Nov 18:21
Elle Stone
2016-11-13 18:21:07 UTC (over 7 years ago)

New Advanced Color options in the UIs for various operations

The following code snippet is from default GIMP's "app/tools/gimpfiltertools.c" file. It's been added sometime relatively recently.

Could someone please explain what this new code is supposed to mean/do?

/* The color managed combo */ combo = gimp_prop_boolean_combo_box_new (G_OBJECT (tool_info->tool_options), "color-managed", _("Apply filter in color managed space (slow)"), _("Apply filter to the layer's raw pixels")); gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (vbox2), combo, FALSE, FALSE, 0); gtk_widget_show (combo);

The above code is reflected in the "Advanced Color Options" for tools such as Levels, Curves, Saturation, and Gaussian Blur. The user has to click the "+" to see the hidden options. Putting aside the gamma hack option, the other option provides two possibilities:

1. "Apply filter to the layer's raw pixels" 2. "Apply filter in the color managed space (slow)".

The option to "Apply filter to the layer's raw pixels" seems to be the default, but I'm not sure.

What's the difference between these two options? I mean conceptually and also in the code paths that are taken?

I've tried using both options for several editing operations, including Levels, GEGL Saturation, and Gaussian Blur, and for images in the built-in sRGB working space I don't see any difference at all in the resulting image, whether working at "linear" or "gamma" precision (not the gamma hack, rather "Image/Precision").

When using the GEGL Saturation operation, if I chose the "Apply filter in the color managed space (slow)" option, this message was printed to the terminal:

filter format: CIE Lab float

(gimp-2.9:30663): Gimp-GEGL-CRITICAL **: file gimp-babl.c: line 547 (gimp_babl_format_get_base_type): should not be reached

(gimp-2.9:30663): Gimp-GEGL-CRITICAL **: file gimp-babl.c: line 648 (gimp_babl_format_get_linear): should not be reached

When at gamma precision, and assigning a linear gamma profile from disk to the test image, and doing a Gaussian blur, choosing one or another of "Apply filter to the layer's raw pixels" and "Apply filter in the color managed space (slow)" did produce a difference in the preview, but both previews were wrong.

So I'm very puzzled as to what this new advanced option is supposed to do. Any light on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best, Elle