RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Integrate gimp and browser

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Integrate gimp and browser jwes 13 Sep 05:51
  Integrate gimp and browser Rick Strong 15 Sep 19:38
  Integrate gimp and browser Ofnuts 16 Sep 07:35
   Integrate gimp and browser Patrick Shanahan 16 Sep 11:28
2016-09-13 05:51:45 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I frequently work with scanned or photographed handwritten documents and have found and written tools for GIMP that make them more readable. This works for files, but I also often read documents online. I would like to apply the same tools to images in my browser but I am not sure where to start. Print screen and paste does not work because of loss of resolution. Is there a browser that allows me to route the screen through GIMP? Is there a way to display web pages in GIMP? Is there something clever I haven't thought of?

Rick Strong
2016-09-15 19:38:14 UTC (over 7 years ago)

This doesn't answer the question of integrating GIMP with your browser but something to consider is this:

If you are on a WIN platform, the snipping tool image can be saved as a JPG or a PNG. PNG will give you a noticeably better image than JPG, especially with type. Take a look at something at 500%.

Rick Strong

-----Original Message----- From: jwes
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:51 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Integrate gimp and browser

I frequently work with scanned or photographed handwritten documents and have
found and written tools for GIMP that make them more readable. This works for
files, but I also often read documents online. I would like to apply the same
tools to images in my browser but I am not sure where to start. Print screen and
paste does not work because of loss of resolution. Is there a browser that allows me to route the screen through GIMP? Is there a way to display web pages
in GIMP? Is there something clever I haven't thought of?

jwes (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Ofnuts
2016-09-16 07:35:42 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 13/09/16 07:51, jwes wrote:

I frequently work with scanned or photographed handwritten documents and have found and written tools for GIMP that make them more readable. This works for files, but I also often read documents online. I would like to apply the same tools to images in my browser but I am not sure where to start. Print screen and paste does not work because of loss of resolution. Is there a browser that allows me to route the screen through GIMP? Is there a way to display web pages in GIMP? Is there something clever I haven't thought of?

I very routinely copy/paste images from by browser (Firefox) to Gimp. This paste the original image, without any loss (and this works on 20MPix images...). You can also copy the image URL in your browser and use File>Open location if the image can be accessed without user authentication.

Patrick Shanahan
2016-09-16 11:28:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

* Ofnuts [09-16-16 03:36]:

On 13/09/16 07:51, jwes wrote:

I very routinely copy/paste images from by browser (Firefox) to Gimp. This paste the original image, without any loss (and this works on 20MPix images...). You can also copy the image URL in your browser and use File>Open location if the image can be accessed without user authentication.

You may very well copy and paste from a browser, BUT, if that copy/paste is dragging the mouse across an area to select the copy, you are ONLY copying at screen resolution and WILL LOOSE RESOLUTION from the displayed image. If you are copying the web address of the image and using that, you retain the displayed image's resolution.

In order to retain the image's resolution provided it is greater than your screen, you *must* download subj image or use it's web address with amounts to the same.

Usually one can discern the web address of an image by right clicking upon it, unless it is displayed by flash and then digging into the flash source is necessary. There are apps available that will provide flash hidden addresses.

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net