RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

webp format?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.3.1472040002.24400.... 24 Aug 12:09
  webp format? Ben 24 Aug 12:09
Ben
2016-08-24 12:09:24 UTC (over 7 years ago)

webp format?

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:26:57 -0400 From: Elle Stone
To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] webp format? Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed

Ben, thanks! I finally got GIMP to compile with webp support.

You're welcome and good :)

Originally I had installed libwebp in /usr/local, without the above-listed options. But even after enabling the above-listed options and reinstalling, GIMP wouldn't compile - the build would fail when it got to the webp-save code, with the following terminal output:

file-webp-save.o: In function `WebPAnimEncoderOptionsInit': /usr/local/include/webp/mux.h:454: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderOptionsInitInternal' file-webp-save.o: In function `save_animation': build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:494: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderAdd'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:512: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderAdd'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:514: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderAssemble'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:551: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderDelete'
build/gimp/plug-ins/file-webp/file-webp-save.c:516: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderGetError'
file-webp-save.o: In function `WebPAnimEncoderNew': /usr/local/include/webp/mux.h:471: undefined reference to `WebPAnimEncoderNewInternal'

Uninstalling libwebp from /usr/local and installing it directly in the prefix in which GIMP is built allowed the build to finish, and now GIMP indeed can open and save webp files.

Does anyone know why GIMP couldn't find WebPAnimEncoder when libwebp was installed in /usr/local? Maybe I needed to tell GIMP to include /usr/local/lib or some such? Maybe something like this? export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"

I never noticed because my .bashrc includes custom paths set for PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH not sure why GIMP didn't pick them up. I usually add the custom path prior to appending the variable back on itself though not that it should make much of a difference in most instances unless it was finding another older version prior in the search path.

What i usually do:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Ben