RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New here, I'd like to help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New here, I'd like to help Christopher Watson 27 Jul 17:45
  New here, I'd like to help Alexandre Prokoudine 27 Jul 20:55
   New here, I'd like to help Pat David 27 Jul 20:59
Christopher Watson
2016-07-27 17:45:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Saw that the gimp plugin registry is down right now and I'd like to help. Anything that needs to be done with web design/development I'm available for. I'd like to help bring the Gimp project into this decade

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-07-27 20:55:22 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Christopher Watson wrote:

Saw that the gimp plugin registry is down right now and I'd like to help. Anything that needs to be done with web design/development I'm available for. I'd like to help bring the Gimp project into this decade

I'm not sure what the latter statement is supposed to mean :) But all help is welcome. The problem in this particular case is that we don't seem to have agreed on any implementation specifics.

What we have agreed on is that we want the new registry to be as secure as possible. Beyond that opinions appear to differ, or so I understand the situation.

Another thing is that we really, really want extensions to be easy to install. As easy as Firefox/Chrome extensions. The problem is that while all sorts of brushes and gradients, as well as Script-Fu scripts and Python plugins are OS-agnostic, plugins written in C have to be compiled, and they aren't always available in the binary form for all architectures of all supported operating systems.

I'm guessing the server side with a web front-end for downloading could be the first step towards that goal, as it would pretty much substitute the now defunct registry.

Alex

Pat David
2016-07-27 20:59:18 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Jehan actually has a plan in mind (along with pippin). The new idea will be to consolidate assets from multiple sources in a federated list within GIMP to make them available (where possible - see prokoudine's statement about C plugins).

Perhaps you'd like to write some new tutorials? We could use some nice tutorials that cover beginning concepts for newcomers (or really of all skill levels). We need to update the documentation for a new release as well - do you feel up to writing some documentation?

pat

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Christopher Watson wrote:

I'm not sure what the latter statement is supposed to mean :) But all help is welcome. The problem in this particular case is that we don't seem to have agreed on any implementation specifics.

What we have agreed on is that we want the new registry to be as secure as possible. Beyond that opinions appear to differ, or so I understand the situation.

Another thing is that we really, really want extensions to be easy to install. As easy as Firefox/Chrome extensions. The problem is that while all sorts of brushes and gradients, as well as Script-Fu scripts and Python plugins are OS-agnostic, plugins written in C have to be compiled, and they aren't always available in the binary form for all architectures of all supported operating systems.

I'm guessing the server side with a web front-end for downloading could be the first step towards that goal, as it would pretty much substitute the now defunct registry.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Pat David
https://pixls.us
http://blog.patdavid.net