RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Plugins to improve UI

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Plugins to improve UI Nicolas Brack 08 Jul 14:48
  Plugins to improve UI Alexandre Prokoudine 08 Jul 16:32
   Plugins to improve UI Nicolas Brack 08 Jul 23:47
Nicolas Brack
2016-07-08 14:48:52 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Plugins to improve UI

Hello, I'm intending to build plugins to improve gimp's UI in various ways and get around the source code. Most notably, I want to change the right click menu.  To that end, I wish to have two behaviors non-standard with plugins.

1. Have the UI improvement called at each creation of a display. 2. Receive a pointer to that display.

For 1, I don't know how to do that. The plug-ins feel like they have been designed solely to make filter effects. For 2, I guess I have to add a GimpParamDef "display" with type GIMP_PDB_DISPLAY, but the documentation is sparse on the topic, and I cannot manage to receive one when trying out the plugin. I have for now added {
GIMP_PDB_DISPLAY,
"display",
"Display"
}
In the list of parameters to give to `gimp_install_procedure` in `query`, but the pointer given as a `GimpParam` in the `run` function of the plug-in is 0. I'm using gimp 2.9 (git/master).

Thank anyone that can help me,

Nicolas Brack ----------------------------------------------------- https://www.mail.be

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-07-08 16:32:03 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Plugins to improve UI

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Nicolas Brack wrote:

Hello, I'm intending to build plugins to improve gimp's UI in various ways and get around the source code. Most notably, I want to change the right click menu.

Hello Nicolas,

Glad to hear that you want to step up and make a change. However, I'd like t know: what is the reason you don't want to work on GIMP itself?

And no, I don't believe plugins can change the behavior of GIMP. At least, you won't be able to access the part of code that deals with things like the right-click menu.

If you intend to add context-sensitive right-click menu, I would humbly suggest to work on GIMP code rather than invent cunning ways to do that with plugins.

Alex

Nicolas Brack
2016-07-08 23:47:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Plugins to improve UI

Glad to hear that you want to step up and make a change. However, I'd like t know: what is the reason you don't want to work on GIMP itself?

I wanted something easily to build, distribute and host. I would also have thought it's faster to test and build. And finally, to lazily avoid digging too deep in the source code for a first modification (it's quite a pain to browse without an IDE that allow to jump to the definition/declaration of a symbol and it's hard to find an IDE that can parse the project tree with autotools, the vim ctag combination drives me nuts so much it's not friendly to configure and use)

If you intend to add context-sensitive right-click menu, I would humbly suggest to work on GIMP code rather than invent cunning ways to do that with plugins.

All right, I'll try to figure out how to hack the code and fork it. I'll get down to it and try to have a friendly ctag file to work with.

Thank you ! ----------------------------------------------------- https://www.mail.be