RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

17 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 18 May 06:31
  Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Chris Moller 18 May 13:59
  Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Kevin Payne 18 May 14:31
   Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 18 May 14:55
  Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Michael Natterer 18 May 15:39
   Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 18 May 15:47
    Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Michael Natterer 18 May 16:32
     Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Christopher Curtis 19 May 01:53
      Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Petteri Soininen 19 May 04:27
      Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 19 May 08:59
       Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Liam R. E. Quin 19 May 16:37
        Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 19 May 18:03
         Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Liam R. E. Quin 20 May 00:49
          Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 20 May 06:29
           Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 20 May 07:00
           Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? Christopher Curtis 20 May 11:37
            Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs? C R 20 May 15:00
C R
2016-05-18 06:31:32 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

It's always been a bit of a kink in my workflows.

You want to quickly apply the last Preset, and sure enough, hitting the Enter/Return key after the dialog opens jumps to a preview of the last recorded preset. ve made for that specific dialog.

Hitting Enter/Return key twice does nothing currently in the dialog, so if the return button is hit again, is it possible to have it just commit the changes? This would dramatically help hotkey based workflow in GIMP.

Thanks again for all your wonderful work on GIMP!

-C

Chris Moller
2016-05-18 13:59:20 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

+1

For me, that would be especially useful in things like the Image>Scale Image dialogue.

On 05/18/16 02:31, C R wrote:

You want to quickly apply the last Preset, and sure enough, hitting the Enter/Return key after the dialog opens jumps to a preview of the last recorded preset. ve made for that specific dialog.

Hitting Enter/Return key twice does nothing currently in the dialog, so if the return button is hit again, is it possible to have it just commit the changes? This would dramatically help hotkey based workflow in GIMP.

-C _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Kevin Payne
2016-05-18 14:31:16 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Which dialogs that have Presets don't use an OK button accessible using Alt-O ?

Kevin

Sent: 18 May 2016 07:31
To: gimp-developer
Subject: [Gimp-developer] Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made     in popup dialogs?

You want to quickly apply the last Preset, and sure enough, hitting the
Enter/Return key after the dialog opens jumps to a preview of the last
recorded preset. ve made for that specific dialog.

Hitting Enter/Return key twice does nothing currently in the dialog, so if
the return button is hit again, is it possible to have it just commit the
changes? This would dramatically help hotkey based workflow in GIMP.

-C
C R
2016-05-18 14:55:32 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Which dialogs that have Presets don't use an OK button accessible using Alt-O ?

Not many, but there are clashes, for example Hue-Saturation Alt+O does not work at all.
Aside from that, Alt+O is a two-handed hotkey combo, and is much more difficult to use with a mouse in your other hand. I'd rather not have to take my hand off the mouse every time I want to apply the dialog I'm looking at.
It slows me down a lot, and it would be faster to just use the mouse and click the button.

-C

Kevin

________________________________________ From: gimp-developer-list on
behalf of C R
Sent: 18 May 2016 07:31
To: gimp-developer
Subject: [Gimp-developer] Can hitting Enter/Return twice apply changes made in popup dialogs?

-C _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Michael Natterer
2016-05-18 15:39:48 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 07:31 +0100, C R wrote:

You are essentially asking for:

1st enter opens combo box

2nd enter confirms entire dialog

Absoluteley not, this breaks the expected behavior of the combo box and would lead to total confusion.

An enter in an open combo box (in all open combo boxes in GTK+) simply confirms that combo box.

Regards, --Mitch

C R
2016-05-18 15:47:56 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Wait, what? Oh, I mean the third enter. Sorry, you're right, you have to hit enter to confirm the option.

1st enter opens the combo box, 2nd enter confirms the selection. Third enter commits.

From any of value box (be it combo or otherwise), you should be able to hit Enter/Return to apply the changes of the dialog, after hitting enter to confirm the value.

Better?
-C

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

Absoluteley not, this breaks the expected behavior of the combo box and would lead to total confusion.

An enter in an open combo box (in all open combo boxes in GTK+) simply confirms that combo box.

Regards, --Mitch

Michael Natterer
2016-05-18 16:32:14 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 16:47 +0100, C R wrote:

Wait, what? Oh, I mean the third enter. Sorry, you're right, you have to
hit enter to confirm the option.

1st enter opens the combo box, 2nd enter confirms the selection. Third
enter commits.

From any of value box (be it combo or otherwise), you should be able to hit
Enter/Return to apply the changes of the dialog, after hitting enter to
confirm the value.

Better?

Yes, much better :)

However: enter meaning something different before and after combo selection is also bad.

How it *should* work:

1. open combo (space) 2. confirm entry (enter)
3. confirm dialog (enter)

3. is missing, see https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381254

Somebody needs to hack this up in GTK+...

Regards, --Mitch

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

You want to quickly apply the last Preset, and sure enough, hitting
the

Hitting Enter/Return key twice does nothing currently in the dialog,
so if
the return button is hit again, is it possible to have it just commit
the

Regards, --Mitch

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address:    gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-develop er-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Christopher Curtis
2016-05-19 01:53:26 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

1st enter opens the combo box, 2nd enter confirms the selection. Third enter commits.

1. open combo (space)
2. confirm entry (enter)

Is that really a good approach? I'm concerned that it's too easy to accidentally commit some change by using the same key. Would it be better to leave Enter alone, and have a global Ctrl+Enter or Shift+Enter to accept+dismiss any dialog box?

Chris

Petteri Soininen
2016-05-19 04:27:37 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

From personal experience I'd say if using enter to commit changes hasn't messed a production
database of an entire factory, then this should be less critical. Ctrl-Enter is good designwise though. It gives less chance of mistake keypress and is
easily accessible with just one hand. (And the one who ever originally thought that Alt-O should be used as a shortcut to 'OK' should
get beaten with a mouse and keyboard combo repeatedly and mercilessly ridiculed ever after.)

On 19.5.2016 4:53, Christopher Curtis wrote:

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

1. open combo (space)
2. confirm entry (enter)

Is that really a good approach? I'm concerned that it's too easy to accidentally commit some change by using the same key. Would it be better to leave Enter alone, and have a global Ctrl+Enter or Shift+Enter to accept+dismiss any dialog box?

Chris _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

C R
2016-05-19 08:59:44 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

1. open combo (space)

2. confirm entry (enter)

It's a convention that is used in most of the graphics (and other) software I've used over the years. It's the most intuitive way to handle it. If it's a problem, or an accident, it will only happen once before the user will see how it works.
Can always be undone ctrl+z, so it's not that big of a deal if a misfire occurs now and again.

-C

Chris

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-05-19 16:37:19 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 09:59 +0100, C R wrote:

[...]

Can always be undone ctrl+z,

This isn't true for Save As and Export dialogues, where enter will accept filename completion in the first instance. You can't undo overwriting a file on most file systems...

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
C R
2016-05-19 18:03:37 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

And yet hitting Enter/Return key to commit/save is standard here too, which is why there's a popup warning on overwrite in cases of overwriting a file.

-C

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 09:59 +0100, C R wrote:

[...]

Can always be undone ctrl+z,

This isn't true for Save As and Export dialogues, where enter will accept filename completion in the first instance. You can't undo overwriting a file on most file systems...

Liam

-- Liam R. E. Quin

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-05-20 00:49:07 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 19:03 +0100, C R wrote:

And yet hitting Enter/Return key to commit/save is standard here too, which
is why there's a popup warning on overwrite in cases of overwriting a file.

Yes. (sorry for not being clear)

Whether enter commits the action in those cases depends on the focus and autocomplete status, unfortunately.

I'd favour something like shift-enter doing the default action - still one hand and not easily done accidentally.

I am not sure why Enter doesn't move from one text field to the next in e.g. the Rotate dialogue - tab is needed instead. The Sun and AT&T UI research led to the idea of pressing enter focussing each entry in turn until you got to the OK button, and then applying it, but they didn't study advanced image editors.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 
C R
2016-05-20 06:29:42 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

In cases where you are unlikely to change every single option, it's still much faster to handle it exactly like originally stated, and is why other very popular graphics software applications use the convention. In workflow, it makes sense to focus the dialog on the next likely action, so if the user is filling out a form, focus would naturally be on the next blank field that needs to be filled in.

The reason for auto focusing to the history combo box is for speed on repeating the last used settings. It makes sense that the next focus should be the OK button for these dialogs. In which case the Enter key would function as requested, to press the OK button and commit changes.

The logic:

1. If you have chosen a history item from the combo box, you most-likely want to apply the changes immediately following, so the OK button is focused.

2. Hitting Enter/Return presses the button and completes the workflow for this result.

If it's desired, I can do some workflow comparisons to show the difference in various workflows with this "new" convention. :)

I believe most workflows will benefit from this change without the need to add more non-standard hotkeys to GIMP.

-C

It makes little sense to then have to change your hand position to apply the change with another hotkey, since we have already decided to focus it instead of the first item in the dialog, especially when the default when you press enter again is to do absolutely nothing. Also two shift keys are not always present, and tab works fine to move focus, so there's not much point in having Enter/Return focus the next box, instead of applying the change, which is intuitive. After all, enter commits the value, so it makes sense enter again will commit the dialog. On 20 May 2016 1:49 am, "Liam R. E. Quin" wrote:

Whether enter commits the action in those cases depends on the focus and autocomplete status, unfortunately.

I'd favour something like shift-enter doing the default action - still one hand and not easily done accidentally.

I am not sure why Enter doesn't move from one text field to the next in e.g. the Rotate dialogue - tab is needed instead. The Sun and AT&T UI research led to the idea of pressing enter focussing each entry in turn until you got to the OK button, and then applying it, but they didn't study advanced image editors.

Liam

-- Liam R. E. Quin

C R
2016-05-20 07:00:54 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Please ignore this bit, it's really beside the point, and is just me thinking out loud. >

It makes little sense to then have to change your hand position to apply the change with another hotkey, since we have already decided to focus it instead of the first item in the dialog, especially when the default when you press enter again is to do absolutely nothing. Also two shift keys are not always present, and tab works fine to move focus, so there's not much point in having Enter/Return focus the next box, instead of applying the change, which is intuitive. After all, enter commits the value, so it makes sense enter again will commit the dialog.

Thanks. :)

On 20 May 2016 1:49 am, "Liam R. E. Quin" wrote:

Liam

-- Liam R. E. Quin

Christopher Curtis
2016-05-20 11:37:57 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:29 AM, C R wrote:

In workflow, it makes sense to focus the dialog on the next likely action, so if the user is filling out a form, focus would naturally be on the next blank field that needs to be filled in.

Are you arguing that having a global key to accept+dismiss the current dialog has no value? Even if you have focus-chasing logic, that does not preclude the accept+dismiss binding.

Chris

C R
2016-05-20 15:00:35 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

In workflow, it makes sense to focus the dialog on the next likely action,

so if the user is filling out a form, focus would naturally be on the next blank field that needs to be filled in.

Are you arguing that having a global key to accept+dismiss the current dialog has no value? Even if you have focus-chasing logic, that does not preclude the accept+dismiss binding.

No, I'm arguing we shouldn't need another global hotkey just to get rid of the current workflow bottleneck. If we implement my proposed solution (which is the way people are used to accepting+dismissing dialogs in nearly all popular graphics editors), the need for a global accept-dismiss hotkey should vanish (of we do it right).

-C