RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Point-and-click tool to create guides?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Point-and-click tool to create guides? wwp 09 May 19:47
  Point-and-click tool to create guides? Alexandre Prokoudine 09 May 19:54
   Point-and-click tool to create guides? C R 09 May 20:02
    Point-and-click tool to create guides? wwp 09 May 20:23
     1462826797524.387432493@boxbe 10 May 21:14
      Point-and-click tool to create guides? Joseph Bupe 09 May 21:30
     Point-and-click tool to create guides? C R 09 May 20:30
      Point-and-click tool to create guides? wwp 09 May 20:41
   Point-and-click tool to create guides? wwp 09 May 20:20
wwp
2016-05-09 19:47:17 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hello there,

I wonder if the idea of a point-and-click tool to create guides could be a good one?

The idea there is to directly create guides with a minimum number of clicks in order to speed up a production process. It is based upon my (long, subjective and perfectible) experience w/ the Gimp 2.x.

The way of doing it could be, for instance: in one click you pick the create-guide tool from the side dock, then you click on the image: it creates a horizontal or vertical guide at this click's x or y - horizontal or vertical axis could be determined using ctrl or shift modifier. Clicking in the margin (outside the layer boundary) could be even more intuitive, up/down margin to create vertical guides, left/right to create horizontal ones, still for instance. While moving the mouse pointer with this tool, a "live" guide shadow could be displayed, in order to provide a visual clue about the guide location that you validate when you click to create it.

Any thought?

Regards,

wwp
Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-05-09 19:54:12 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 10:47 PM, wwp wrote:

Hello there,

I wonder if the idea of a point-and-click tool to create guides could be a good one?

The idea there is to directly create guides with a minimum number of clicks in order to speed up a production process. It is based upon my (long, subjective and perfectible) experience w/ the Gimp 2.x.

The way of doing it could be, for instance: in one click you pick the create-guide tool from the side dock, then you click on the image: it creates a horizontal or vertical guide at this click's x or y - horizontal or vertical axis could be determined using ctrl or shift modifier. Clicking in the margin (outside the layer boundary) could be even more intuitive, up/down margin to create vertical guides, left/right to create horizontal ones, still for instance. While moving the mouse pointer with this tool, a "live" guide shadow could be displayed, in order to provide a visual clue about the guide location that you validate when you click to create it.

Any thought?

Just to make sure I get it right...

Instead of

1. Hovering your mouse pointer over the ruler. 2. Clicking, dragging, and releasing the mouse button to create a new guide.

...you want

1. Hover your mouse pointer over the toolbox above the 'point-and-click tool' and click it. 2. Go to the location where you want a guide and use a modifier to create either vertical or horizontal (or both) guides.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, that's about the same amount of step in comparison to something that has been around for years :) You you get guide position preview too.

Hmmm? :)

Alex

C R
2016-05-09 20:02:21 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

This is also sub-function of the measure tool. To create a horizontal guide, place a marker on the spot, and ctrl-click it To create a vertical guide, place a marker on the spot and alt-click it

-C

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello there,

Any thought?

Instead of

1. Hovering your mouse pointer over the ruler. 2. Clicking, dragging, and releasing the mouse button to create a new guide.

...you want

1. Hover your mouse pointer over the toolbox above the 'point-and-click tool' and click it. 2. Go to the location where you want a guide and use a modifier to create either vertical or horizontal (or both) guides.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, that's about the same amount of step in comparison to something that has been around for years :) You you get guide position preview too.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

wwp
2016-05-09 20:20:35 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hello Alexandre,

On Mon, 9 May 2016 22:54:12 +0300 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Hello there,

Any thought?

Instead of

...you want

Hah. Dragging from the rulers does exactly what I need, the feature already exists. Thanks!!

Regards,

wwp
wwp
2016-05-09 20:23:02 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hello C,

On Mon, 9 May 2016 21:02:21 +0100 C R wrote:

This is also sub-function of the measure tool. To create a horizontal guide, place a marker on the spot, and ctrl-click it To create a vertical guide, place a marker on the spot and alt-click it

Nice too, thanks for the tip! :-)

Regards,

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello there,

Any thought?

Instead of

...you want

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

wwp
C R
2016-05-09 20:30:48 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

What would be nice is a manual entry box for moving the measure tool markers around (in the Tool Options for measure). This way you could type in the exact value(s) you want, and use ctrl-click and alt-click to make your markers how you like with better precision than the mouse pointer allows.

Just a thought.
-C

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 9:23 PM, wwp wrote:

Hello C,

This is also sub-function of the measure tool. To create a horizontal guide, place a marker on the spot, and ctrl-click

it

To create a vertical guide, place a marker on the spot and alt-click it

Regards,

Hello there,

The way of doing it could be, for instance: in one click you pick the create-guide tool from the side dock, then you click on the image: it creates a horizontal or vertical guide at this click's x or y - horizontal or vertical axis could be determined using ctrl or shift modifier. Clicking in the margin (outside the layer boundary) could

be

even more intuitive, up/down margin to create vertical guides, left/right to create horizontal ones, still for instance. While

moving

the mouse pointer with this tool, a "live" guide shadow could be displayed, in order to provide a visual clue about the guide location that you validate when you click to create it.

Any thought?

Instead of

...you want

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

--
wwp

wwp
2016-05-09 20:41:03 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On Mon, 9 May 2016 21:30:48 +0100 C R wrote:

What would be nice is a manual entry box for moving the measure tool markers around (in the Tool Options for measure). This way you could type in the exact value(s) you want, and use ctrl-click and alt-click to make your markers how you like with better precision than the mouse pointer allows.

Right!

Even ore because clicking the spot line (layer boundary, one-pixel wide line) is a bit difficult - but maybe it's just me.

Regards,

Hello C,

This is also sub-function of the measure tool. To create a horizontal guide, place a marker on the spot, and ctrl-click

it

Regards,

Hello there,

The way of doing it could be, for instance: in one click you pick the create-guide tool from the side dock, then you click on the image: it creates a horizontal or vertical guide at this click's x or y - horizontal or vertical axis could be determined using ctrl or shift modifier. Clicking in the margin (outside the layer boundary) could

be

even more intuitive, up/down margin to create vertical guides, left/right to create horizontal ones, still for instance. While

moving

the mouse pointer with this tool, a "live" guide shadow could be displayed, in order to provide a visual clue about the guide location that you validate when you click to create it.

Any thought?

Instead of

...you want

--
wwp

wwp
Joseph Bupe
2016-05-09 21:30:47 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

I only wish the free select tool had a toggle option for drawing guides (horizontal, vertical diagonal) more like how the free select operates could be better.

On 9 May 2016 at 22:30, C R wrote:

[image: Boxbe] This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (cajhne@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule

| More info

Just a thought.
-C

Hello C,

This is also sub-function of the measure tool. To create a horizontal guide, place a marker on the spot, and

ctrl-click

it

Regards,

Hello there,

I wonder if the idea of a point-and-click tool to create guides

could

be a good one?

The idea there is to directly create guides with a minimum number

of

clicks in order to speed up a production process. It is based upon

my

(long, subjective and perfectible) experience w/ the Gimp 2.x.

The way of doing it could be, for instance: in one click you pick

the

create-guide tool from the side dock, then you click on the image: it creates a horizontal or vertical guide at this click's x or y - horizontal or vertical axis could be determined using ctrl or shift modifier. Clicking in the margin (outside the layer boundary) could

be

moving

the mouse pointer with this tool, a "live" guide shadow could be displayed, in order to provide a visual clue about the guide

that you validate when you click to create it.

Any thought?

Instead of

...you want

--
wwp