RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Darktable plug-in in GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Darktable plug-in in GIMP Mika Mantere 30 Apr 00:08
  Darktable plug-in in GIMP Tobias Ellinghaus 30 Apr 14:33
   Darktable plug-in in GIMP Carmelo DrRaw 30 Apr 14:51
    Darktable plug-in in GIMP Tobias Ellinghaus 30 Apr 14:58
     Darktable plug-in in GIMP Elle Stone 30 Apr 15:12
      Darktable plug-in in GIMP Tobias Ellinghaus 30 Apr 15:35
     Darktable plug-in in GIMP Carmelo DrRaw 30 Apr 15:22
      Darktable plug-in in GIMP Tobias Ellinghaus 30 Apr 15:49
   Darktable plug-in in GIMP Mika Mantere 30 Apr 18:22
    Darktable plug-in in GIMP Carmelo DrRaw 30 Apr 18:56
Mika Mantere
2016-04-30 00:08:21 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

The plug-in works great in importing NEF to GIMP, but now when I open some TIF files in GIMP, it uses the plug-in in the same fashion as if I was opening raw files in GIMP, i.e. launching darktable and upon exiting exporting the file to GIMP as 32-bit EXR. This happens with some TIF files but not with all TIF files. Is it supposed to do that?

I do remember having trouble opening some TIF files in GIMP before, I think some older TIF files with many Photoshop layers. This might actually work better through Darktable, anyway :-)

Thanks, Mika

Tobias Ellinghaus
2016-04-30 14:33:53 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Am Freitag, 29. April 2016, 17:08:21 schrieb Mika Mantere:

The plug-in works great in importing NEF to GIMP, but now when I open some TIF files in GIMP, it uses the plug-in in the same fashion as if I was opening raw files in GIMP, i.e. launching darktable and upon exiting exporting the file to GIMP as 32-bit EXR. This happens with some TIF files but not with all TIF files. Is it supposed to do that?

No, it is not. The problem is that most raw formats are TIFF files with some extra data. For CR2 that's not a big problem, there is a way to recognize them (Canon was clever enough to have a unique magic for their files), other formats however can't be reliably distinguished from TIFFs. NEF is one of those. So right now the code wrongly assumes that your TIFF is a NEF and sends it to darktable. Until that is fixed you have to manually select the TIFF loader in the lower left hand corner of the open dialog.

I do remember having trouble opening some TIF files in GIMP before, I think some older TIF files with many Photoshop layers. This might actually work better through Darktable, anyway :-)

Happy coincidence. Maybe you can provide a sample file to bugzilla so someone can have a look at properly supporting them in GIMP.

Thanks,
Mika

Tobias

Carmelo DrRaw
2016-04-30 14:51:05 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

This issue is easily handled by other RAW loading plug-ins by intercepting the input files with .tif or .tiff extension and running the normal GIMP loading procedure in such cases.

Here is an example from the PhotoFlow plug-in, which was originally derived from UFraw: https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/blob/stable/src/plugin/pfgimp-load.cc#L213

Andrea

On 30 Apr 2016, at 16:33, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

No, it is not. The problem is that most raw formats are TIFF files with some extra data. For CR2 that's not a big problem, there is a way to recognize them (Canon was clever enough to have a unique magic for their files), other formats however can't be reliably distinguished from TIFFs. NEF is one of those. So right now the code wrongly assumes that your TIFF is a NEF and sends it to darktable. Until that is fixed you have to manually select the TIFF loader in the lower left hand corner of the open dialog.

Happy coincidence. Maybe you can provide a sample file to bugzilla so someone can have a look at properly supporting them in GIMP.

Thanks,
Mika

Tobias_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Tobias Ellinghaus
2016-04-30 14:58:32 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Am Samstag, 30. April 2016, 16:51:05 schrieb Carmelo DrRaw:

This issue is easily handled by other RAW loading plug-ins by intercepting the input files with .tif or .tiff extension and running the normal GIMP loading procedure in such cases.

Sure, you can work around that, but it's not a proper fix, is it? So I personally prefer to keep the behaviour broken to make someone fix it for real.

[...]

Andrea

Tobias

[...]

Elle Stone
2016-04-30 15:12:14 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 04/30/2016 10:58 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

Sure, you can work around that, but it's not a proper fix, is it? So I personally prefer to keep the behaviour broken to make someone fix it for real.

Just from curiosity, who is the "someone" who should fix loading of raw files "for real"?

Is this something that needs to be fixed in GIMP?

Or is this something that needs to be fixed by the camera manufacturers?

Elle

Carmelo DrRaw
2016-04-30 15:22:13 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

On 30 Apr 2016, at 16:58, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

If UFraw was forced to implement this workaround already few years ago, so I guess it will still take quite some time until someone fixes that for good… meanwhile you will be flooded by comments from unhappy users because this new DT plugin code already made it into PPAs that lots of people use.

My suggestion: implement the workaround as soon as possible, and then identify the person that should implement a proper fix into GIMP and try to convince her/him to do the job.

[...]

Andrea

Tobias

[...]_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Tobias Ellinghaus
2016-04-30 15:35:16 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Am Samstag, 30. April 2016, 11:12:14 schrieb Elle Stone:

On 04/30/2016 10:58 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

This issue is easily handled by other RAW loading plug-ins by intercepting
the input files with .tif or .tiff extension and running the normal GIMP loading procedure in such cases.

Just from curiosity, who is the "someone" who should fix loading of raw files "for real"?

Mitch has been working on the magic part last week already, so it's currently work in progress.

Is this something that needs to be fixed in GIMP?

Or is this something that needs to be fixed by the camera manufacturers?

Well, if we could convince camera manufacturers to fix their file formats that would be great, but 1) that won't happen and 2) GIMP still needs to recognize the billions of existing files out there.

Elle

Tobias

Tobias Ellinghaus
2016-04-30 15:49:36 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Am Samstag, 30. April 2016, 17:22:13 schrieb Carmelo DrRaw:

On 30 Apr 2016, at 16:58, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

This issue is easily handled by other RAW loading plug-ins by intercepting
the input files with .tif or .tiff extension and running the normal GIMP loading procedure in such cases.

If UFraw was forced to implement this workaround already few years ago, so I guess it will still take quite some time until someone fixes that for good…

I guess it's more a matter of a few weeks than months.

meanwhile you will be flooded by comments from unhappy users because this new DT plugin code already made it into PPAs that lots of people use.

My suggestion: implement the workaround as soon as possible, and then identify the person that should implement a proper fix into GIMP and try to convince her/him to do the job.

Sorry, no. I don't care if some people complain, that's what you get from running development versions. But just rejecting all files ending in ".tif" (and variations thereof) is wrong, there are cameras who call their raw files .tif. Old cameras, but still.

[...]

Andrea

Tobias

[...]_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Mika Mantere
2016-04-30 18:22:28 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Thanks for the info, Tobias. I wasn't aware of the close nature of TIFFs and raw files in general, it makes more sense now.

I've used Darktable and GIMP (and Inkscape) for everything since moving on to linux side and couldn't be happier for finally having a plug-in seamlessly linking the two. It was really the last missing piece from my old Photoshop/Lightroom combo.

Thanks, Mika

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

The plug-in works great in importing NEF to GIMP, but now when I open

some

TIF files in GIMP, it uses the plug-in in the same fashion as if I was opening raw files in GIMP, i.e. launching darktable and upon exiting exporting the file to GIMP as 32-bit EXR. This happens with some TIF

files

but not with all TIF files. Is it supposed to do that?

No, it is not. The problem is that most raw formats are TIFF files with some
extra data. For CR2 that's not a big problem, there is a way to recognize them
(Canon was clever enough to have a unique magic for their files), other formats
however can't be reliably distinguished from TIFFs. NEF is one of those. So right now the code wrongly assumes that your TIFF is a NEF and sends it to darktable. Until that is fixed you have to manually select the TIFF loader in
the lower left hand corner of the open dialog.

I do remember having trouble opening some TIF files in GIMP before, I

think

some older TIF files with many Photoshop layers. This might actually work better through Darktable, anyway :-)

Happy coincidence. Maybe you can provide a sample file to bugzilla so someone
can have a look at properly supporting them in GIMP.

Thanks,
Mika

Tobias
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Carmelo DrRaw
2016-04-30 18:56:11 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

Hi Mika!

you might want to have a look to the PhotoFlow plug-in as well, which tries to provide the same sort of Photoshop/Lightroom integration in the GIMP world. It is designed in such a way that you can re-process the original RAW file from the saved XCF by simply re-running the plug-in on the layer that was created by the initial RAW loading.

If you have access to youtube, here is a 15mn video that shows how all this works in practice: https://youtu.be/945OnK93C1g

From the RAW processing point of view, PhotoFlow is almost as feature-rich as Darktable, and has even some advantages like LMMSE demosaicing and inputs NR for high-ISO images.

On 30 Apr 2016, at 20:22, Mika Mantere wrote:

Thanks for the info, Tobias. I wasn't aware of the close nature of TIFFs and raw files in general, it makes more sense now.

I've used Darktable and GIMP (and Inkscape) for everything since moving on to linux side and couldn't be happier for finally having a plug-in seamlessly linking the two. It was really the last missing piece from my old Photoshop/Lightroom combo.

Thanks, Mika

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:

The plug-in works great in importing NEF to GIMP, but now when I open

some

TIF files in GIMP, it uses the plug-in in the same fashion as if I was opening raw files in GIMP, i.e. launching darktable and upon exiting exporting the file to GIMP as 32-bit EXR. This happens with some TIF

files

but not with all TIF files. Is it supposed to do that?

No, it is not. The problem is that most raw formats are TIFF files with some
extra data. For CR2 that's not a big problem, there is a way to recognize them
(Canon was clever enough to have a unique magic for their files), other formats
however can't be reliably distinguished from TIFFs. NEF is one of those. So right now the code wrongly assumes that your TIFF is a NEF and sends it to darktable. Until that is fixed you have to manually select the TIFF loader in
the lower left hand corner of the open dialog.

I do remember having trouble opening some TIF files in GIMP before, I

think

some older TIF files with many Photoshop layers. This might actually work better through Darktable, anyway :-)

Happy coincidence. Maybe you can provide a sample file to bugzilla so someone
can have a look at properly supporting them in GIMP.

Thanks,
Mika

Tobias
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list