RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Social media: consolidation of comments

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Social media: consolidation of comments Sven Claussner 21 Jan 06:10
  Social media: consolidation of comments Alexandre Prokoudine 21 Jan 06:18
   Social media: consolidation of comments Pat David 21 Jan 14:51
    Social media: consolidation of comments Andrew Toskin 21 Jan 23:13
     Social media: consolidation of comments Sven Claussner 22 Jan 12:20
      Social media: consolidation of comments Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Jan 13:05
       Social media: consolidation of comments Pat David 22 Jan 15:00
        Social media: consolidation of comments Akkana Peck 22 Jan 17:00
         Social media: consolidation of comments Pat David 22 Jan 18:50
          Social media: consolidation of comments Akkana Peck 23 Jan 15:15
       Social media: consolidation of comments Sven Claussner 24 Jan 17:25
        Social media: consolidation of comments Pat David 26 Jan 19:23
Sven Claussner
2016-01-21 06:10:43 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Hi,

first of all I find it a good thing that we stay modern and in contact with our users through social media. Now that we are also on Facebook and Twitter I find a bit inconvenient to check each single social media site for discussions and comments on posts from our eager public relations people. Would it be possible that they are consolidated in a single place?

Greetings

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-21 06:18:33 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Sven Claussner wrote:

Now that we are also on Facebook and Twitter I find a bit inconvenient to check each single social media site for discussions and comments on posts from our eager public relations people. Would it be possible that they are consolidated in a single place?

How do you expect this to work?

Alex

Pat David
2016-01-21 14:51:05 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Not sure how to consolidate things. None of these services is exactly open to aggregating their content in a single place (and it's not in their best interest to do so).

With that being said, I suppose there's always the possibility of setting up a central place for users to congregate. A forum perhaps? (I've had good results with discourse for pixls.us so far). Though I feel like this might require an inordinately large amount of time policing and we may not have the interest/manpower available to handle it. :( (Not just spam - that's already reasonably well handled by default).

Actually, this was also part of an idea I had for transitioning the plugin registry to something else as well. I had put this on hold but can certainly re-visit the idea...

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:18 AM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

Sven Claussner wrote:

Now that we are also on Facebook and Twitter I find a bit inconvenient to check each single social media site for discussions and comments on posts from our eager public relations people. Would it be possible that they are consolidated in a single place?

How do you expect this to work?

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

pat david
https://pixls.us
http://blog.patdavid.net
Andrew Toskin
2016-01-21 23:13:23 UTC (about 8 years ago)

For consolidating discussions: on Twitter I don't think it's too hard to follow posts that tag #gimp or refer to the @gimp account. On Facebook, people could comment on the GIMP page's "wall." If what you really want is for people to be able to talk together in a single place, then probably a forum would be better.

Discourse may or may not have been the appropriate choice for a plugin registry type site, I dunno. But it makes for an *excellent* forum.

Note: There actually already is an unofficial GIMP forum . It's just a little slow, and the web design isn't nearly as beautiful and feature-rich as a Discourse site would be... I've only given it a cursory look, but Discourse has tools for importing existing forums, so we might possibly conserve some effort if we wanted to see if the people at gimpforums.com were receptive to switching to a more lovely and more advanced forum application... Or, y'know, just leave the forum as it is, and link to their site from gimp.org.

Starting a new forum, or linking to (and revitalizing) the existing unofficial forum, could possibly reinvigorate the community discussion, though.

~Andrew / terrycloth

On 2016-01-21 06:51, Pat David wrote:

Not sure how to consolidate things. None of these services is exactly open to aggregating their content in a single place (and it's not in their best interest to do so).

With that being said, I suppose there's always the possibility of setting up a central place for users to congregate. A forum perhaps? (I've had good results with discourse for pixls.us so far). Though I feel like this might require an inordinately large amount of time policing and we may not have the interest/manpower available to handle it. :( (Not just spam - that's already reasonably well handled by default).

Actually, this was also part of an idea I had for transitioning the plugin registry to something else as well. I had put this on hold but can certainly re-visit the idea...

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:18 AM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote: Sven Claussner wrote: Now that we are also on Facebook and Twitter I find a bit inconvenient to check each single social media site for discussions and comments on posts from our eager public relations people. Would it be possible that they are consolidated in a single place? How do you expect this to work? Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list gimp-web-list@gnome.org https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list [1]

Links:
------
[1] https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Sven Claussner
2016-01-22 12:20:59 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Hi,

the benefit I expect from such a consolidation would be using the power of user feedback so we developers would know better what users need and how our design decisions and code are seen from the users' points of view. And getting positive feedback is of course always a joy ;-) Having to check and search many posts on FB, G+, Twitter, mailing lists and forums is a tedious work which easily gets neglected, especially when you as a coder just want to code your idea that seems so wonderful. Thus many chances are wasted.

Rethinking it showed me that we're in the field of social monitoring here.

I thought about some possibilities: - Access Facebook, Twitter through their APIs. - Forums: there are many GIMP forums around there in various languages and therefore I doubt setting up and maintaining yet another one would be a big benefit. But getting their latest news through RSS/Atom feeds could be a help.
- Uservoice, Flickr, Instagram, Pinterest, Disqus, blogs and professional press reviews could be other ways of getting feedback. - There is a social monitoring meta search on the web: www.socialmention.com
It seems to need some investigation to make it usable for us. - Here I found more sources:
http://www.convinceandconvert.com/social-media-tools/the-39-social-media-tools-ill-use-today/ https://www.researchgate.net/post/Whats_the_easiest_way_to_collect_data_from_Twitter_and_Facebook

It would be a great help if all this feedback was in one place and we could search it by topic easily, perhaps on our website or somewhere at developer.gimp.org.

On 21.1.2016 at 3:51 PM Pat David wrote:

Actually, this was also part of an idea I had for transitioning the

plugin

registry to something else as well. I had put this on hold but can certainly re-visit the idea...

Yes, I'd like to hear them. I also had some ideas in the past to make more of the registry. We should discuss it on the gimp-developer or gimp-user ML and then take the results to Bugzilla or one of the wikis.

Greetings

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-01-22 13:05:59 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Sven Claussner wrote:

Having to check and search many posts on FB, G+, Twitter, mailing lists and forums is a tedious work which easily gets neglected, especially when you as a coder just want to code your idea that seems so wonderful. Thus many chances are wasted.

???

People have different roles in this project. Programmers don't habitually check social media for feedback, and schumaml, patdavid, and me -- people who check social media and maintain accounts -- don't write GIMP code.

I thought about some possibilities: - Access Facebook, Twitter through their APIs.

Facebook doesn't have an API.

- Forums: there are many GIMP forums around there in various languages and therefore I doubt setting up and maintaining yet another one would be a big benefit. But getting their latest news through RSS/Atom feeds could be a help.

I'll be blunt here. As someone who follows these forums I'm not sure what kind of insights you expect, given how their use of GIMP differs from what we design the software for (in 95% of cases or so).

- Uservoice,

https://www.uservoice.com/plans/customer-support/

All these services are commercial for anything more than a casual interest. They also require an employee with full-time occupation to sit in front of the control panel and move feedback between feedback platform and bugzilla. Moreover, they would change our relationship into the customer-developer kind, while we are not actually getting paid for working on GIMP.

Personally, as much as I want communication transparency, user-friendliness, and professional-grade everything, I think we should not forget that GIMP is a community project by volunteers. This isn't a business.

Flickr

You mean the GIMP users group?

Instagram

Actionable feedback on Instagram? You must be joking :)

Pinterest

Likewise

Disqus

How is it related?

blogs

That could bring something useful.

and professional press reviews could be other ways of getting feedback.

Professional press reviews? Could you elaborate please?

- There is a social monitoring meta search on the web: www.socialmention.com

Which is pretty much useless.

It would be a great help if all this feedback was in one place and we could search it by topic easily

Implementing this is _incredibly_ expensive in terms of both money and human resources if you want it to be any useful any time soon.

See, I work for a company that provides a social media monitoring service. Accumulating this kind of information means:

- you pay for a server (or several servers) -- a lot; - you pay for the traffic -- a lot;
- you need clever linguistic algorithms to sift through the data and categorize it;
- you need clever algorithms that will detect spam in social media posts and remove those;
- you need to design a query language, with negative words etc., to build sensible queries;
- you need someone who maintains all this; - etc. etc. etc.

Would it be useful for the team? I guess so. Is it realistic? Probably not.

Alex

Pat David
2016-01-22 15:00:09 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Everything Alex said, but I'll be slightly more optimistic (vs realistic).

The idea that you're suggesting is a good one, but the use-case and implementation is the tricky bit.

First, let me clarify so I understand what you may be proposing:

1. A means for any member of the GIMP team to view a feed of interactions with the GIMP accounts across various social media platforms? (This does _not_ necessarily mean _any_ arbitrary mention of GIMP, just the interactions directed towards the official accounts). That is, a view of mentions that are publicly visible and directed towards the official account.

If that is the thought, there are some questions I have.

A. Should this be a public/visible place for us to view the information? B. How would you see yourself interacting with a list of information like this?
C. Would a web page with a list of these interactions and links work?

Simply producing a list of interaction with the official account might be possible, but that is likely to be the extent of the interaction possible. You'd still have to have an account and go to the social network to continue those interactions.

Let me hack at this and see what I can find. (This is _highly_ experimental and just a wild tangent that you've now got me on - so expect nothing to come of this).

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:06 AM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

Having to check and search many posts on FB, G+, Twitter, mailing lists and forums is a tedious work which easily gets neglected, especially when you as a coder just want to code your idea that seems so wonderful. Thus many chances are wasted.

???

People have different roles in this project. Programmers don't habitually check social media for feedback, and schumaml, patdavid, and me -- people who check social media and maintain accounts -- don't write GIMP code.

I thought about some possibilities: - Access Facebook, Twitter through their APIs.

Facebook doesn't have an API.

- Forums: there are many GIMP forums around there in various languages and therefore I doubt setting up and maintaining yet another one would be a big benefit. But getting their latest news through RSS/Atom feeds could be a help.

I'll be blunt here. As someone who follows these forums I'm not sure what kind of insights you expect, given how their use of GIMP differs from what we design the software for (in 95% of cases or so).

- Uservoice,

https://www.uservoice.com/plans/customer-support/

All these services are commercial for anything more than a casual interest. They also require an employee with full-time occupation to sit in front of the control panel and move feedback between feedback platform and bugzilla. Moreover, they would change our relationship into the customer-developer kind, while we are not actually getting paid for working on GIMP.

Personally, as much as I want communication transparency, user-friendliness, and professional-grade everything, I think we should not forget that GIMP is a community project by volunteers. This isn't a business.

Flickr

You mean the GIMP users group?

Instagram

Actionable feedback on Instagram? You must be joking :)

Pinterest

Likewise

Disqus

How is it related?

blogs

That could bring something useful.

and professional press reviews could be other ways of getting feedback.

Professional press reviews? Could you elaborate please?

- There is a social monitoring meta search on the web: www.socialmention.com

Which is pretty much useless.

It would be a great help if all this feedback was in one place and we could search it by topic easily

Implementing this is _incredibly_ expensive in terms of both money and human resources if you want it to be any useful any time soon.

See, I work for a company that provides a social media monitoring service. Accumulating this kind of information means:

- you pay for a server (or several servers) -- a lot; - you pay for the traffic -- a lot;
- you need clever linguistic algorithms to sift through the data and categorize it;
- you need clever algorithms that will detect spam in social media posts and remove those;
- you need to design a query language, with negative words etc., to build sensible queries;
- you need someone who maintains all this; - etc. etc. etc.

Would it be useful for the team? I guess so. Is it realistic? Probably not.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

pat david
Akkana Peck
2016-01-22 17:00:46 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Pat David writes:

1. A means for any member of the GIMP team to view a feed of interactions with the GIMP accounts across various social media platforms? (This does _not_ necessarily mean _any_ arbitrary mention of GIMP, just the interactions directed towards the official accounts). That is, a view of mentions that are publicly visible and directed towards the official account.

I'm not the original poster, but I'd love to be able to get, say, the interesting news that shows up on the GIMP Google+ account without needing to remember to wade through the Google+ website all the time. For instance, as an RSS feed.

Let me hack at this and see what I can find. (This is _highly_ experimental and just a wild tangent that you've now got me on - so expect nothing to come of this).

Looks like there are several services to produce RSS from a G+ page, but I haven't looked into the Free-ness of any of them, or how likely they are to stay around.

...Akkana

Pat David
2016-01-22 18:50:08 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Akk,

Do you mean the news that we ("GIMP") post to our own G+ account?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM Akkana Peck wrote:

Pat David writes:

1. A means for any member of the GIMP team to view a feed of interactions with the GIMP accounts across various social media platforms? (This does _not_ necessarily mean _any_ arbitrary mention of GIMP,

just

the interactions directed towards the official accounts). That is, a view of mentions that are publicly visible and directed towards the official account.

I'm not the original poster, but I'd love to be able to get, say, the interesting news that shows up on the GIMP Google+ account without needing to remember to wade through the Google+ website all the time. For instance, as an RSS feed.

Let me hack at this and see what I can find. (This is _highly_

experimental

and just a wild tangent that you've now got me on - so expect nothing to come of this).

Looks like there are several services to produce RSS from a G+ page, but I haven't looked into the Free-ness of any of them, or how likely they are to stay around.

...Akkana _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

pat david
Akkana Peck
2016-01-23 15:15:02 UTC (about 8 years ago)

I wrote:

I'm not the original poster, but I'd love to be able to get, say, the interesting news that shows up on the GIMP Google+ account

Pat David writes:

Akk,

Do you mean the news that we ("GIMP") post to our own G+ account?

Yes, exactly. It's posted by official people, though often it's pointers to interesting projects posts from other people. There's almost always something interesting there when I remember to look at it, but keeping up with a G+ feed (and remembering what I've seen before vs. what's new) is a lot harder than reading an RSS or email feed of "here's all the news since you last checked".

...Akkana

Sven Claussner
2016-01-24 17:25:33 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Hi,

On 22.1.2016 at 2:05 PM Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

???

I know. In general I think it leads to better accepted software (not only GIMP) if developers know about the application domain and the users' needs. Having the relevant information in one single place lowers the barriers to get the right information.

See, I work for a company that provides a social media monitoring service. Accumulating this kind of information means: [... a lot ...]

Thank you for clarifying this. Indeed I wasn't aware of that.

On 22.1.2016 at 4:00 PM Pat David wrote:

Everything Alex said, but I'll be slightly more optimistic (vs

realistic).

The idea that you're suggesting is a good one, but the use-case and implementation is the tricky bit.

Thanks for your positive reply. My first post was just an idea that I shared for public discussion (some name it 'brainstorm'. I should have made this clearer).

1. A means for any member of the GIMP team to view a feed of interactions with the GIMP accounts across various social media platforms? (This does _not_ necessarily mean _any_ arbitrary mention of

GIMP, just

the interactions directed towards the official accounts). That is, a view of mentions that are publicly visible and directed towards the official account.

Indeed this was my first thought. I rethought it and would find it useful to get the relevant information w/o noise, such as new found bugs, feature requests and meaningful user feedback in one place. Being able to search this would be a nice plus. Monitoring everything with the tag #gimp would lead to too many false positives.

A. Should this be a public/visible place for us to view the information?

It could and in an open source project that would be consistent.

B. How would you see yourself interacting with a list of information like this?

Browsing the information and searching for keywords on demand.

C. Would a web page with a list of these interactions and links work?

For instance or an RSS feed. Sadly Yahoo pipes has gone and I don't know for sure how its successors work. As pointed out it's a piece of hard work with unknown results, thus a small solution could be:
The social network people here just pick up relevant information and post it at the ML's and then things go the usual ways (discussion on the ML's, bug report, eventually fixing). The ML's themselves are already archived and the archives are searchable.

Greetings

Sven

Pat David
2016-01-26 19:23:51 UTC (about 8 years ago)

I took a quick stab this past weekend at trying something out. It's not perfect (more of a proof of concept), but it seems to work. If someone wants to try it out:

http://testing.gimp.org/about/meta/social/

A couple of notes:

1. In order to query the relevant API (twitter mostly), I had to use a server as a back-end to bridge the query. Because WGO is a static site, I purposely tried to avoid any server/dynamic querying. I actually had this working with FB w/o needing a server through JSONP, but twitter hates us. So I use an endpoint on pixls.us just to pass the JSONP data from the server.

2. I queried two types of data from each service: a) posts made by the official GIMP account and b) posts mentioning the GIMP account.

3. I _might_ be able to turn this into a single endpoint that generates an rss/atom feed. No promises, but if it's something that will truly be helpful to folks I'll look into it.

pat david