RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Elle Stone 31 Dec 13:35
  Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Alexandre Prokoudine 31 Dec 13:33
  Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? scl 31 Dec 13:57
  Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? scl 31 Dec 14:20
   Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Elle Stone 31 Dec 14:54
    Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Alexandre Prokoudine 31 Dec 14:55
     Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Elle Stone 31 Dec 15:17
      Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? scl 31 Dec 15:15
  Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? jcupitt@gmail.com 31 Dec 16:09
   Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Elle Stone 31 Dec 16:37
    Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Liam R. E. Quin 31 Dec 23:11
     Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Elle Stone 01 Jan 02:30
      Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF? Liam R. E. Quin 01 Jan 05:41
Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-31 13:33:26 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF?

31 дек. 2015 г. 16:31 пользователь "Elle Stone" написал:

Are there any image viewers for Linux that can display openexr and

floating point tiffs?

http://djv.sourceforge.net is my best advice at the moment.

Alex

Elle Stone
2015-12-31 13:35:04 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Are there any image viewers for Linux that can display openexr and floating point tiffs? What about GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

I've always used geeqie as a fast and lightweight image viewer. But geeqie can't read the 32-bit floating point files produced by editing software such as high bit depth GIMP, Krita, darktable, Blender, etc.

Elle

scl
2015-12-31 13:57:35 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 31.12.2015 at 2:35 PM Elle Stone wrote:

Are there any image viewers for Linux that can display openexr and floating point tiffs? What about GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

Just tried XnViewMP, Gwenview, Showfoto and Darktable with images exported from Darktable.
XnViewMP only opens the floating point TIFF file, but reduces the colors down to 8 bit/channel and the result looks painful dark. Darktable, Gwenview and Showfoto only open the OpenEXR file.

Greetings

Sven

scl
2015-12-31 14:20:05 UTC (about 8 years ago)

Addition:
Photoflow opens the floating point TIFF file, but crashes at OpenEXR and 2.9 XCF.
DJV indeed opens FP-TIFF and OpenEXR, but no 2.9 XCF (I guess no other program than GIMP 2.9 will be able to open the latter).

Greetings

Sven

Elle Stone
2015-12-31 14:54:25 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 12/31/2015 09:20 AM, scl wrote:

DJV indeed opens FP-TIFF and OpenEXR, but no 2.9 XCF (I guess no other program than GIMP 2.9 will be able to open the latter).

How did you manage to install and run djv?

I haven't managed to compile the code from git (http://sourceforge.net/p/djv/git/ci/master/tree/ - "make" fails with an error: djv-git/lib/djvGui/djvImageView.cpp:263:40: error: 'class djvImageView' has no member named 'devicePixelRatio').

And the precompiled binary (http://sourceforge.net/projects/djv/files/djv-stable/1.1.0/) fails with a libpng error, looking for libpng12 when clearly it comes with libpng16.

Elle

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-12-31 14:55:31 UTC (about 8 years ago)

31 дек. 2015 г. 17:50 пользователь "Elle Stone" написал:

On 12/31/2015 09:20 AM, scl wrote:

How did you manage to install and run djv?

Doesn't media-gfx in Gentoo have a djv port?

Alex

scl
2015-12-31 15:15:58 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 31.12.2015 at 4:17 PM Elle Stone wrote:

On 12/31/2015 09:55 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

There is an overlay, but nothing in portage itself. _______________________________________________

How about using the downloadable DEB or RPM, convert and install it? Perhaps checking the converted archive where DJV looks for that libpng12 solves the problem for you?

Greetings

Sven

Elle Stone
2015-12-31 15:17:47 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 12/31/2015 09:55 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

There is an overlay, but nothing in portage itself.

jcupitt@gmail.com
2015-12-31 16:09:32 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 31 December 2015 at 13:35, Elle Stone wrote:

The image processing package I maintain will do most of the scientific formats, including openexr, float tiff, matlab, fits, analyze, dicom and openslide. It can also load via libMagick, so it should support XCF, though I don't know if it'll do 2.9 XCF. It has quite fancy colour management, and supports complex and double-precision images too. I use it for medical imaging.

The GUI is called nip2, so "sudo apt-get install nip2", or the gentoo equivalent.

To view an image, run "nip2 thing.tif", or start nip2 and drag a file in, or use File / Open. You'll see a workspace with a thumbnail of your image as "A1". Doubleclick on the thumbnail to open a view window.

The image may be too dark or too light, click View / Toolbar / Display Control to add a couple of sliders to the window. The left one sets the scale (it's log), the right the offset. There's a gear menu at the left which turns false colour on or off and controls how the colorimetric tags are interpreted. View / Toolbar / Status is useful too.

The main window is rather like a spreadsheet: you can type in formula and link cells and they all recalculate. Try "A1 * 1000", for example, or click Toolkits / Widgets / Scale and try "A1 * A2". There's a quick intro to the program in the manual:

http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/current/doc/html/nipguide/nipguidese1.html

Please mail me if you have any questions, or use the github tracker:

https://github.com/jcupitt/nip2/issues

John

Elle Stone
2015-12-31 16:37:54 UTC (about 8 years ago)

I think I wasn't very clear about what I'd like an image viewer to do. What I'd like to be able to do is:

1. Open a folder with an image viewer, so that all the image files in the folder (well, at least floating point and integer tiffs, openexr files, pngs, and jpegs; also raw files would be nice) are displayed by the image viewer.

2. Still using the image viewer, open a selected image file using various image editors, including GIMP and Krita.

Can nip2 and/or djv_viewer be used to view all the image files in a folder, and then open a selected image file using GIMP?

Elle

Liam R. E. Quin
2015-12-31 23:11:00 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 11:37 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

1. Open a folder with an image viewer, so that all the image files in 
the folder (well, at least floating point and integer tiffs, openexr  files, pngs, and jpegs; also raw files would be nice) are displayed by 
the image viewer.

The gnome file manager does this (but may need some thumbnailer plugins; xcf 2.9 files seem to show up Ok for me but I think it's just because the thumbnailer isn't checking very carefully!) and so does gthumb and also eog (eye of gnome). I don't use KDE here.

Do you have (small file size please) example files that don't work for you?

2. Still using the image viewer, open a selected image file using  various image editors, including GIMP and Krita.

Yes.

Elle Stone
2016-01-01 02:30:31 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On 12/31/2015 06:11 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 11:37 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

1. Open a folder with an image viewer, so that all the image files in
the folder (well, at least floating point and integer tiffs, openexr files, pngs, and jpegs; also raw files would be nice) are displayed by
the image viewer.

Well, I sort of feel silly. I use digiKam for cataloging and tagging image files, and it turns out that digiKam already does display 32-bit floating point tiffs and also displays openexr images, at least it does after doing some updating today, not sure about before.

The exr files display with thumbnails. To have a thumbnail displayed by digiKam for a 32f tiff, the tiff needs to be exported with a thumbnail, which I haven't been doing.

digiKam will also scan for and show Krita 2.9 KRA and GIMP 2.9 XCF files, but none of them have thumbnails to show what might be in the layer stack.

The gnome file manager does this (but may need some thumbnailer plugins; xcf 2.9 files seem to show up Ok for me but I think it's just because the thumbnailer isn't checking very carefully!) and so does gthumb and also eog (eye of gnome). I don't use KDE here.

Does the gnome file manager show thumbnails for GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

Do you have (small file size please) example files that don't work for you?

One reason why it has taken me awhile to sort through this "how to keep track of XCF files" is that digiKam kept crashing as I tried to scan in folders containing XCF files.

By moving folders with files that crashed digiKam, I was able to identify that the problem XCF files were all saved to disk back in 2013, which not coincidentally is the last time that I tried to scan XCF files using digiKam.

Resaving the problem XCF files using GIMP 2.9 from today, they don't crash digiKam. So whatever the problem was, it isn't a problem any more.

Now if only digiKam could display thumbnails for XCF files, that would be wonderful.

Well, actually checking, digiKam can display thumbnails for GIMP 2.8 XCF files, but not for GIMP 2.9 XCF files.

Elle

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-01-01 05:41:19 UTC (about 8 years ago)

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 21:30 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

Does the gnome file manager show thumbnails for GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

No - it tries to but they come out looking like glitch-art. But png is broken for me right now too, probably because I'm in the middle of an upgrade.

The 2.8 xcf files work, although right now not xcf.gz files.

Liam