RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Elle Stone 22 Dec 23:26
  GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Eneko Castresana 22 Dec 23:38
   GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Eneko Castresana 22 Dec 23:46
    GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Elle Stone 23 Dec 01:35
     GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Eneko Castresana 23 Dec 02:01
     GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Michael Natterer 23 Dec 07:17
      GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Elle Stone 23 Dec 10:41
  GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Thorsten Stettin 23 Dec 00:01
  GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Owen Cook 23 Dec 01:19
   GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Elle Stone 23 Dec 01:38
    GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Owen Cook 23 Dec 01:41
     GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Elle Stone 23 Dec 02:04
      GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Owen Cook 23 Dec 04:13
       GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl Akkana Peck 24 Dec 18:38
Elle Stone
2015-12-22 23:26:48 UTC (over 8 years ago)

I updated and tried to rebuild GIMP from git, with the following error:

checking for LIBMYPAINTGEGL... no configure: error: Package requirements (libmypaint-gegl >= 1.1) were not met:

No package 'libmypaint-gegl' found

There isn't any libmypaint or libmypaint-gegl in Gentoo portage, and installing mypaint from Gentoo portage didn't fix the problem.

I compiled libmypaint from git (https://github.com/mypaint/libmypaint) in the prefix with babl/GEGL/GIMP, using the command:

scons prefix=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install enable_gegl=true

which put the file "libmypaint-gegl.a" and "libmypaint.a" in the install prefix, in the lib folder.

But GIMP still says it can't find libmypaint-gegl. How do I fix this so GIMP can compile?

Elle

Eneko Castresana
2015-12-22 23:38:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hello Ellen,

I had exactly this problem today, and as a newcomer found it all extremely frustrating, but I manged to figure it out at last (you got way further than me by the beginning, BTW):

add "use_sharedlib=yes" to scons

And just in case you installed to /usr/local, remember to update /etc/ld.so.conf and use ldconfig

Cheers, Eneko

P.S: Hope I posted to the list now. Sorry.

2015-12-23 0:26 GMT+01:00 Elle Stone :

checking for LIBMYPAINTGEGL... no configure: error: Package requirements (libmypaint-gegl >= 1.1) were not met:

There isn't any libmypaint or libmypaint-gegl in Gentoo portage, and installing mypaint from Gentoo portage didn't fix the problem.

I compiled libmypaint from git (https://github.com/mypaint/libmypaint) in the prefix with babl/GEGL/GIMP, using the command:

which put the file "libmypaint-gegl.a" and "libmypaint.a" in the install prefix, in the lib folder.

But GIMP still says it can't find libmypaint-gegl. How do I fix this so GIMP can compile?

Elle
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Eneko Castresana
2015-12-22 23:46:40 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Sorry, I meant to say "in case you didn't install to the standard directories"; that needs to be done so that the shared libraries can be found in non-standard dirs.

Cheers, Eneko

2015-12-23 0:38 GMT+01:00 Eneko Castresana :

Hello Ellen,

I had exactly this problem today, and as a newcomer found it all extremely frustrating, but I manged to figure it out at last (you got way further than me by the beginning, BTW):

And just in case you installed to /usr/local, remember to update /etc/ld.so.conf and use ldconfig

Cheers, Eneko

P.S: Hope I posted to the list now. Sorry.

2015-12-23 0:26 GMT+01:00 Elle Stone :

Elle
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Thorsten Stettin
2015-12-23 00:01:16 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Am 23.12.2015 um 00:26 schrieb Elle Stone:

I'm just try to build current packages in my Ubuntu PPA. It takes some time.
I hope this helps. I added some dirty patches in order ti builld the whole stack.
Stay tuned. :-)

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge/+packages

Elle

Lao-Tse sagt: Nichtstun ist besser, als mit viel Mhe nichts zu schaffen.
Und er sagt auch: Ich habe drei Schtze, die ich hte und hege.
Der eine ist die Liebe, der zweite ist die Gengsamkeit, der dritte ist die Demut.
Nur der Liebende ist mutig, nur der Gengsame ist grozgig, nur der Demtige ist fhig zu herrschen.
Owen Cook
2015-12-23 01:19:38 UTC (over 8 years ago)

After you built Mypaint, you should have had a libmypaint-gegl.pc which needs to be included in your PKG_CONFIG path

Owen

Elle Stone
2015-12-23 01:35:31 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/22/2015 06:46 PM, Eneko Castresana wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say "in case you didn't install to the standard directories"; that needs to be done so that the shared libraries can be found in non-standard dirs.

Cheers, Eneko

2015-12-23 0:38 GMT+01:00 Eneko Castresana:

Hello Ellen,

Cheers, Eneko

Hi Eneko, and thanks! for responding.

I build GIMP from git in a prefix to avoid interfering with GIMP 2.8 installed from Gentoo portage, and so I'm not sure that modifying /etc/ld.so.conf is the right thing to do.

I have three different installations of GIMP in three different prefixes. So I want libmypaint in prefix1 to link with GEGL in prefix1, and GIMP in prefix1 to look for libmypaint-gegl also and only in prefix1, and so forth for the other two prefixes.

Here's how I set up the first prefix:

PREFIX=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$PREFIX/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I $PREFIX/share/aclocal" export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/usr/lib/gio/modules export SRC_DIR=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/build

Here's the command to build libmypaint:

scons prefix=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install use_sharedlib=yes enable_gegl=true

libmypaint-gegl.so is located in /home/elle/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install/lib/, along with libmypaint.so and the two corresponding ".a" files.

But GIMP still isn't finding libmypaint-gegl.so.

Elle

Elle Stone
2015-12-23 01:38:37 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/22/2015 08:19 PM, Owen Cook wrote:

After you built Mypaint, you should have had a libmypaint-gegl.pc which needs to be included in your PKG_CONFIG path

Does this mean I need to install Mypaint in the prefix along with babl/GEGL/libmypaint/GIMP?

I cloned Mypaint from git, but there doesn't seem to be any guidance as to how to build mypaint. Is there a guide somewhere?

I'm sure Mypaint is a wonderful program. But why is this a hard dependency for GIMP?

Elle

Owen Cook
2015-12-23 01:41:44 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 12:38 PM From: "Elle Stone"
To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP can't find libmypaint-gegl

Does this mean I need to install Mypaint in the prefix along with babl/GEGL/libmypaint/GIMP?

I cloned Mypaint from git, but there doesn't seem to be any guidance as to how to build mypaint. Is there a guide somewhere?

I really don't know, but here is the pc file which I think explains what is going on. As you can see, I built it in my Gimp directory, but suspect it can be built anywhere. Let PKG_CONFIG find it.

owen@LM-17 ~/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint $ cat libmypaint-gegl.pc prefix=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint exec_prefix=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint libdir=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint/lib includedir=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint/include

Name: libmypaint-gegl Description: MyPaint brush engine library, with GEGL integration Version: 1.1
Requires: gegl-0.3 libmypaint
Cflags: -I${includedir}/libmypaint-gegl Libs: -L${libdir} -lmypaint-gegl

Owen

Eneko Castresana
2015-12-23 02:01:41 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Sorry, that was my mistake again. For some reason I was thinking of the problem I had when the gimp binary wouldn't find the dynamic library. I did have issues while building gimp and libmypaint but IIRC it was just me not configuring the gegl option in libmypaint. I installed everything to /usr/local, so aside from the shared library thing, I suppose every file was at reach.

In short: I'm clueless and Owen is probably right. :)

2015-12-23 2:35 GMT+01:00 Elle Stone :

[...]

I build GIMP from git in a prefix to avoid interfering with GIMP 2.8 installed from Gentoo portage, and so I'm not sure that modifying /etc/ld.so.conf is the right thing to do.

I have three different installations of GIMP in three different prefixes. So I want libmypaint in prefix1 to link with GEGL in prefix1, and GIMP in prefix1 to look for libmypaint-gegl also and only in prefix1, and so forth for the other two prefixes.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$PREFIX/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I $PREFIX/share/aclocal" export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/usr/lib/gio/modules export SRC_DIR=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/build

scons prefix=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install use_sharedlib=yes enable_gegl=true

libmypaint-gegl.so is located in /home/elle/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install/lib/, along with libmypaint.so and the two corresponding ".a" files.

But GIMP still isn't finding libmypaint-gegl.so.

Elle

Elle Stone
2015-12-23 02:04:54 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/22/2015 08:41 PM, Owen Cook wrote:

but here is the pc file which I think explains what is going on. As you can see, I built it in my Gimp directory, but suspect it can be built anywhere. Let PKG_CONFIG find it.

owen@LM-17 ~/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint $ cat libmypaint-gegl.pc prefix=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint exec_prefix=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint libdir=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint/lib includedir=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint/include

Name: libmypaint-gegl Description: MyPaint brush engine library, with GEGL integration Version: 1.1

Hmm, there are already similar files for babl/GEGL/GIMP. So that file probably should be generated automatically when building/installing libmypaint, but there isn't one in the prefix. Did you create that file? or was it generated automatically?

Elle

Owen Cook
2015-12-23 04:13:03 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/22/2015 08:41 PM, Owen Cook wrote:

but here is the pc file which I think explains what is going on. As you can see, I built it in my Gimp directory, but suspect it can be built anywhere. Let PKG_CONFIG find it.

Hmm, there are already similar files for babl/GEGL/GIMP. So that file probably should be generated automatically when building/installing libmypaint, but there isn't one in the prefix. Did you create that file? or was it generated automatically?

I searched my history for libmypaint as well as otherthings found I did this;

a. git clone https://github.com/mypaint/libmypaint.git b. I then read the README.md
c. Had to install scons
d. The last scons command was # scons prefix=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT enable_gegl=true (but judging by the number of other attempts, I must have had some problem) e. That generated the libmypaint-gegl.pc f. then I exported /home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint to the PKG_CONFIG path g. Lastly I installed MyPaint from a debian package manager for the brushes h. rebuilt gimp, there was an entry to load mypaint brushes, but "it didn't work"

All that was some time ago and many iterations later I see I no longer build gimp with libmypaint.

In the README.md, there is an interesting line that says;

You can also build a minimal version of libmypaint directly into your application by including "libmypaint.c"

I never psyched that out, but would like to know how to do that.

Owen

Michael Natterer
2015-12-23 07:17:01 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Tue, 2015-12-22 at 20:35 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

On 12/22/2015 06:46 PM, Eneko Castresana wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say "in case you didn't install to the standard directories"; that needs to be done so that the shared libraries can be
found in non-standard dirs.

Cheers, Eneko

2015-12-23 0:38 GMT+01:00 Eneko Castresana:

Hello Ellen,

I had exactly this problem today, and as a newcomer found it all extremely
frustrating, but I manged to figure it out at last (you got way further
than me by the beginning, BTW):

And just in case you installed to /usr/local, remember to update
/etc/ld.so.conf and use ldconfig

Cheers, Eneko

I build GIMP from git in a prefix to avoid interfering with GIMP 2.8  installed from Gentoo portage, and so I'm not sure that modifying  /etc/ld.so.conf is the right thing to do.

I have three different installations of GIMP in three different  prefixes. So I want libmypaint in prefix1 to link with GEGL in prefix1, 
and GIMP in prefix1 to look for libmypaint-gegl also and only in  prefix1, and so forth for the other two prefixes.

scons prefix=$HOME/data/gimp/gimpdefault/install use_sharedlib=yes  enable_gegl=true

Do you also pass prefix=foo when installing it?

scons prefix=foo install

--Mitch

Elle Stone
2015-12-23 10:41:03 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 12/23/2015 02:17 AM, Michael Natterer wrote:

Do you also pass prefix=foo when installing it?

scons prefix=foo install

I didn't realize that there needed to be an install line along with the original scons line. Thanks!

So the right thing to do when installing libmypaint is to establish the prefix and then run scons twice, once to build and once again to install?

scons prefix=/path/to/prefix use_sharedlib=yes enable_gegl=true scons prefix=/path/to/prefix use_sharedlib=yes enable_gegl=true install

Why are *some* libmypaint files created in the install folder before the install command is run?

Anyway, after running the above commands the libmypaint "lib/pkgconfig" files were created in the prefix, and GIMP installed without any problems, and there wasn't any need to install mypaint, just libmypaint.

Elle

Akkana Peck
2015-12-24 18:38:15 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Owen Cook writes:

I searched my history for libmypaint as well as otherthings found I did this;

a. git clone https://github.com/mypaint/libmypaint.git b. I then read the README.md
c. Had to install scons
d. The last scons command was # scons prefix=/home/owen/Gimp-GIT enable_gegl=true (but judging by the number of other attempts, I must have had some problem) e. That generated the libmypaint-gegl.pc f. then I exported /home/owen/Gimp-GIT/libmypaint to the PKG_CONFIG path g. Lastly I installed MyPaint from a debian package manager for the brushes h. rebuilt gimp, there was an entry to load mypaint brushes, but "it didn't work"

Here's what I needed on Debian sid:

git clone https://github.com/mypaint/libmypaint.git cd libmypaint/
sudo apt-get install scons libjson-c-dev sudo scons prefix=/usr/local/gimp-git/ enable_gegl=true install

Then configure, make, make install gimp as usual.

To use it (I had to dig around the source to figure it out): Tools->Paint Tools->MyPaint Brush (or there's a new icon in the Toolbox), then Windows->Dockable Dialogs->MyPaint Brushes. It shows a selection of standard MyPaint brushes and they work fine in monochrome. Pretty cool! I haven't figured out how to get them in color -- maybe that's not implemented yet.

I tried importing some new brushes and that didn't work: @Gimp_Official recently retweeted somebody's collection of neat-looking brushes, so I downloaded them from the link in https://twitter.com/GisselEscu/status/679981643638161408 and tried installing a few of them in ~/.mypaint/brushes but GIMP can't load them and doesn't say why, just: Failed to load data: Error loading [path]/feathersGE.myb

Question for somebody who knows about this new libmypaint dependency: should we be keeping up to date on libmypaint? In other words, when I update and build gimp master, I always update and build babl and gegl first. Should I also update and reinstall libmypaint each time I update GIMP? Or should we be using a particular tag or branch of libmypaint?

...Akkana